Menu

Rod & Staff/A Beka English grade 7

faithmom

I saw Susan Wise Bauer's suggestion to move from R & S English/Grammar to A Beka English/Grammar in 7th grade to prep for the high school courses that A Beka offers.

Like Susan mentioned in another post, we have used 1 yr below grade level in R & S because it did seem advanced for my child. We've been up to par in grade level 6 on all subjects but use grade 5 R & S in English and have done great since we went "down" a year in that subject.

So here's the question. My child will be in 7th grade next year. If I continued with R & S, I would use grade 6 English/Grammar. But if I do what Susan suggests, do I go straight into A Beka 7 or is that advanced too? So that would mean I need to go into A Beka 6? I heard that A Beka was advanced at grade level and I'm soooo confused.

We definately struggled in R & S at grade level in English. I do not want to struggle at grade level in A Beka. Susan always has her perspective right on target, just need some input on the way A Beka does things.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks! :rolleyes:

I can't tell you a thing about A Beka 6th nd 7th grade English, but could you point me in the direction of SWB's suggestion to switch to A Beka? I've never heard that. My dd is just finishing R&S6, and I was planning on doing R&S7 next year.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was something SWB stated in the older ed. of WTM. At the time of the writing of the older ed., R&S did not have a grammar series for the high school level. The 2nd ed. now recommends R&S since their English series now goes through high school, and has clearer explanations and better writing exercises than Abeka. (Quote from the 2nd ed. of WTM)

Personally, I think if a student completes R&S English through level 8, they've had all the grammar they need. (Certainly more than most ps high school students) It's my understanding that the 9/10 book of R&S concentrates more on writing...which I feel is appropriate. My kids do R&S 3-8 then concentrate on literature and writing in high school.

Personally, I think if a student completes R&S English through level 8, they've had all the grammar they need. (Certainly more than most ps high school students) It's my understanding that the 9/10 book of R&S concentrates more on writing...which I feel is appropriate. My kids do R&S 3-8 then concentrate on literature and writing in high school.

I totally agree. I finished through the gr. 8 text w/my older dd and plan to do the same with my younger dd.

We put our older dd in ps last yr for 10th gr., and believe me, she probably knows more grammar than the teachers. :cool:

So, Sandy, will you use any R&S materials in high school? Or switch to something else?