Menu

Alternatives to radiation for prostate cancer?

My dad had surgery to remove his prostate about 6 months ago, but the cancer spread and he's going to start radiation therapy in 2 weeks. I read some of the effects and am horrified that any one would have to go through that, let alone this man that I love.

I keep googling and can't seem to find any alternatives to radiation therapy for prostate cancer. He's 69yo. I'm scared he's going to die from the treatment so I was hoping that some one here might know of alternatives to the traditional treatments.

(Selfishly, I'm also scared that he might be "radioactive" from the treatment and don't think it will be safe to have him around our newborn. Am I crazy?)

DH had a radical prostatectomy a while back to remove an aggressive cancerous tumor. At the time, we learned that there were typically three treatment options: surgical removal, radiation, and hormone therapy. Due to dh's unique circumstances (I can pm you details), surgery was the best option, so we did not pursue the other options in depth.

Is your dad still being treated by a urologist at this point, or an oncologist? If he is still following the urologist's plan, he may wish to get a second opinion from an oncologist. I do not know if that would change the treatment plan, but that's what we would do (we have discussed this for if/when dh's cancer shows up again).

Do they know where the cancer is now? We were told that once the prostate was removed, an elevated psa test result could detect cancer activity earlier than a new tumor could be seen on a C/T scan. So, once a psa reveals something, it is a typical course of action to begin radiation treatment of the pelvic bed, and possibly add chemotherapy.

I do not know if hormone therapy is a viable option after a prostatectomy has been done, or if it is only an option before surgery. Age may also play a huge part in deciding upon a treatment plan.

We dread the thought of radiation treatment, so I understand your feelings.

The effects of radiation differ from person to person, and you don't really know until after you've had the radiation done.

I was worried about my daughter and the radiation too, but sometimes in life you just have to do what you need to do. I'm not sure there is a good answer here, cancer sucks. :grouphug:

A family member had prostate cancer several years ago and had the 'radiation beads' embedded in the pelvic area. There were strict rules about who he could and couldn't be around (and he was not allowed to hold any grandchildren in his lap). IIRC it was a few weeks or a month that he was on these restrictions.

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 PC 3 years ago! It had spread to his bones already so prostate removal was not an option. He had radiation to the spots on his bones and hormone therapy, when the cancer returned he had to have chemo. He started with a PSA of 497 and 3wks ago his PSA was 3.4 when the PSA rises again his oncologist will decide the next course of treatment. There is a lot of research going on out there for prostate cancer and we pray daily for a new curative treatment. We take each day as a gift because his urologist didn't think he would still be around 3 years later!

My FIL had it a couple of years ago, but it hadn't spread. He would have done the radiation treatment if it hadn't been for the grandkids. They said he wouldn't have been able to hold them at all, so he just had his prostate removed. I don't know much about it at all, but your fears about who he can hold aren't unfounded. :grouphug::grouphug:

My dad also had his prostate out due to cancer and it has also spread. His oncologist has put him on hormone therapy and so far (3 years?) it has kept it low, but very slowly spreading. Make sure hormone therapy has been researched to see if it is applicable.

Dad has meanwhile changed his diet- no sugar, mostly vegetarian- and is fit and healthy for a 73 year old. He has almost no pain which is amazing for any 73yo especially one with some spots of bone cancer.

Next for dad is chemo but we all, including his doctor, are keeping him away from that as long as possible. I think once dad gets chemo and loses his quality of life, he will lose his will to live and die.

So, I am booked to go spend next Christmas with him, because you just never know.