Menu

2 problems with eye makeup

I need makeup help. I'm trying to wear makeup more often than i used to but I'm having eye makeup problems.

1. every brand of mascara I've tried leaves black flakes under my eyes as the day wears on. I leave home looking great, and a little bit later there's black flakes everywhere.

2. My eyeliner always transfers from my lash line to my lid right above my crease. That part of my lids meet when my eyes are open. So I end up with a mirror image of my eyeliner near the orbital bone.

i've found a mascara from Loreal - double extend/beauty tubes, it's a conditioner on one end and a tubular type mascara on the other end (red & white packaging), it coats each lash with a tube, doesn't come off with eye makeup remover,,,,,but just plain old warm water - it comes off literally in tubes, no flakes, i wear it for over 12 hours with a midnight shift and through exercise and no flaking or smudging, love it

sorry no help on the liner.

hth emily in il

I use Covergirl mascara, the kind in drugstores in the pink and green bottle. Never had the flake issue.

Instead of using eye liner I use a dark brown (best for my blue-grey eyes) powder and a (I've just learned through google) an angled shader brush. I starting doing that when I lost my eye liner but I much prefer it now. The powder is a softer effect and doesn't transfer like eye liner liquid or pencil. You do need a fine hand but you need that for the others anyway.

I've been using Lash Blast by Cover Girl and haven't had any problems with flaking (unless I forget I'm wearing it and rub my eyes).

Like Dawn, I use a dark eyeshadow instead of regular eyeliner. I've got deep set eyes and the liner pencil would always transfer to my eyelids. For a darker look, I wet the eyeshadow, line my eyes with an angled brush, then go over it again with the same color and a dry brush to set it.

You could always try a liquid gel liner. They don't transfer but I could never get it on without making a mistake and having to start all over.

You could always try a liquid gel liner. They don't transfer but I could never get it on without making a mistake and having to start all over.

It does take some practice, but I'm really fond of the gel liner. Baby wipes are your best friend when using it (fold one into a tiny point and dab away the mistakes). Bobbi Brown makes a good gel, but it's quite expensive; the L'Oreal drugstore kind works just as well, in my experience.

I had the same problem. My eyes are really deep set and even waterproof did not work. One day I had a weird idea. I used my liquid eyeliner to paint my lashes. Does not come off under my eyes. It flakes, not smudges, off when I wash my face. I gave up on wearing eyeliner for the same reason as you. Now my eyes look way better. My lashes are more dense, now, too. I don't think it because of the liner, per se, but because I am not doing all the tugging I was before.

I use Cover Girl LineExact in black.

ETA: I a bad about washing my face and sometimes sleep with it on. There are no black smudges in the a.m.

Edited by Miss Peregrine

Mary Kay Ultimate Black mascara is the only mascara that I wear that does not flake or "melt" under my eyes. It is easy to get off too, when the time comes. I tried waterproof and the Covergirl pink & green mascara that everyone loves so much, and I always ended up with racoon eyes in about 4 hours. So, I have gone back to the MK stuff and won't bother trying anything else again.

I don't use liner very often. I use mineral powder shadows for the most part.

I had the same problem. My eyes are really deep set and even waterproof did not work. One day I had a weird idea. I used my liquid eyeliner to paint my lashes. Does not come off under my eyes. It flakes, not smudges, off when I wash my face. I gave up on wearing eyeliner for the same reason as you. Now my eyes look way better. My lashes are more dense, now, too. I don't think it because of the liner, per se, but because I am not doing all the tugging I was before.

I use Cover Girl LineExact in black.

ETA: I a bad about washing my face and sometimes sleep with it on. There are no black smudges in the a.m.

I rarely wash makeup off the same day. It just comes off in the shower the next morning. Of course, I only do my eyes and lips.

For the eyeliner, put it on like normal, then use a neutral eyeshadow. Apply the eyeshadow from the edge of the eyeliner up to the crease area. If you applied the eyeliner too heavily and want to tone it down, apply a light amount of the eyeshadow over the eyeliner.

I use a soft, creamy eyeliner or sometimes a soft, creamy eye color pencil, and use an eyeshadow the color of my skin to keep it from migrating to the crease. If I don't use the eyeshadow, it does go into the crease.

On another note, you know the makeup look of using a light colored eyeshadow to highlight the browbone, right below the eyebrow? I tried that, and fiddled with it quite a bit, trying to make it work. I just couldn't. I've found that the best way to "highlight" that area (for me) is to leave it natural, and just apply a slightly darker color in the crease area and a slightly lighter color below that, down to the lashes or eyeliner.

For mascara, I always comb my lashes after my mascara is dry. This combs out any flakes, then I brush them away with a foundation brush. I really like a metal comb for getting between the lashes. I've used many mascaras that I love, currently, I use Maybelline Colossal Volume Express (yellow tube with purple writing). I also like Mabelline's Falsies mascara (purple tube).

For eyeliner, I would try a gel liner. Maybelline makes one that is good.

Actually, Wet and Wild makes one too and it works well.