Menu

Question about Faber My First Piano Adventures

momto3innc

We are about to be given a piano and we are going to start teaching our 3 basic piano before eventually putting them in lessons (I had lessons for about 3 years, my husband for 5...I am not terribly musical but he is). Anyway, I got the first book...My First Piano Adventure Lesson book A. Then I realized there is also a My First Piano Adventure Writing book A. Do I need both of them? What is the difference? If all three of my kids are doing this do I need three Writing books? Any other tips for teaching 3 kids from this series??

Thanks for the help...Amazon doesn't have the look inside option for these and I just can't figure it out!

Love the Faber series. Writing book just reinforces what is learned in the lesson book. There are written exercises and a few songs. My dd has been through books A-C and did great. She really liked the CD's that came with the books as well. Having the writing book is not critical, IMO. I think it gets a bit tedious to go back and forth between the two books, level 1 Music Adventures is worse because it has 3 books to keep track of (and no CD). There are new Christmas books out that go along with levels A-C that I am excited to try this year with dd.

dd10 just began 3B with her new teacher. I was glancing through and saw lots of "classical" (it wasn't all classical, some was baroque or whatever), then I saw "House of the Rising Sun." That cracked me up for some reason! :) I suppose that is a "classic!" :lol:

From what I have seen, both the lesson book and theory books are very engaging.

Edited by Michele B
addition

:iagree: My son uses the earliest book in the series (the Pre-Reading one), and we just practice from the main book with the CD. So far it's struck the right level of interest for him, and he actually looks forward to practice- I'm enjoying this phase while it lasts :001_smile: .

Love the Faber series. Writing book just reinforces what is learned in the lesson book. There are written exercises and a few songs. My dd has been through books A-C and did great. She really liked the CD's that came with the books as well. Having the writing book is not critical, IMO. I think it gets a bit tedious to go back and forth between the two books, level 1 Music Adventures is worse because it has 3 books to keep track of (and no CD). There are new Christmas books out that go along with levels A-C that I am excited to try this year with dd.

We are about to be given a piano and we are going to start teaching our 3 basic piano before eventually putting them in lessons (I had lessons for about 3 years, my husband for 5...I am not terribly musical but he is). Anyway, I got the first book...My First Piano Adventure Lesson book A. Then I realized there is also a My First Piano Adventure Writing book A. Do I need both of them? What is the difference? If all three of my kids are doing this do I need three Writing books? Any other tips for teaching 3 kids from this series??

Thanks for the help...Amazon doesn't have the look inside option for these and I just can't figure it out!

My older two children are using this series for lessons. They both could already read when they started lessons and went straight to "Piano Adventures, Primer Level." It is my understanding that "My First Piano Adventure" is designed for pre-readers.

They use four books each. DS8 is using Level 1 and DD6 is using Primer Level. They have a Lesson Book; a Theory Book; a Technique & Artistry Book; and a Performance Book. There are notes in the margin of each book telling you which pages of the other books correspond to that lesson.

My son also used a Christmas Book for the Christmas recital. (The teacher got him the book down one level, so he could easily play and enjoy the all the Christmas songs in it.)

They have a lesson on Tuesday. I'll try to remember to ask their teacher about the Writing Book for "My First Piano Adventures." I know she is using that pre-reader one for at least one student.

I LOVE this series, by-the-way. I wish they'd had something like it back when I took lessons. I might have stuck it out longer. And I would have known more theory when I hit college and majored in music (clarinet).

Thanks all...I'll look over the links a little bit. I'll probably go ahead and get at least 1 of the writing books. They're so excited to learn, it certainly won't hurt....I just should have gotten it right away if I had been paying more attention. Thanks for the tip on the teacher's guide as well--looks like I'm not quite done buying yet:glare:.

Interesting that this is for pre-readers....all 3 of mine are reading, the 7 yr. old fairly well and the other 2 at more of a basic CVC word type level...wondering if the level 1 would be better?? AAHHH! Just want to get this figured out. I guess since I'm already ordering, I could get the level 1 since I will eventually get there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that it's been a little while, how is everyone doing with this book?

DS's class is moving through Level A fast. There are only 5 classes left this semester, and they'll be finished with the book by then. He has 5-6 songs from the lesson book to practice every week, with 2-3 of the songs being songs he practiced the previous week, and 2-3 new songs. He also has 2-4 pages to do from the writing book as homework every week; they also do some of the writing book in class.

He does grumble sometimes about having to practice every day (although we only end up getting to it 5 or 6 days a week, but I'm trying to get it up to 6 or 7 days a week). However, I've found that the times I've let him practice before bed, he doesn't grumble because then he gets to stay up a little later, heh.

Now that it's been a little while, how is everyone doing with this book?

DS's class is moving through Level A fast. There are only 5 classes left this semester, and they'll be finished with the book by then. He has 5-6 songs from the lesson book to practice every week, with 2-3 of the songs being songs he practiced the previous week, and 2-3 new songs. He also has 2-4 pages to do from the writing book as homework every week; they also do some of the writing book in class.

He does grumble sometimes about having to practice every day (although we only end up getting to it 5 or 6 days a week, but I'm trying to get it up to 6 or 7 days a week). However, I've found that the times I've let him practice before bed, he doesn't grumble because then he gets to stay up a little later, heh.

That's one of the best tricks for getting kids to practice. My parents' one was that, if we went and started to practice right AFTER dinner without prompting, we'd come out and find that the dishes were already done-but if we stalled on practicing, we'd end up doing the dishes, and then being told to practice. It wasn't until I was taking music pedagogy classes that I realized just how clever that was :).