Menu

Newbie Question: What to do with other son?

nikkistone

I now have one whole week under my belt. (Yea! So glad to get that over with!) But I'm feeling insecure about one thing in particular. What do I do with the son that I'm not presently working one-on-one with?

Let me explain. Most of our curriculum is teacher-led. There is some "homework" that needs to be done (like in math), but for the most part, it's a one-on-one kind of thing. So what do I do with the other son who I'm not working with?

This past week I've let them play when I'm not working directly with them or they don't have any work they can do on their own. Should I find some random workbook for them to work out of just so they stay in a school frame of mind? Or is it OK to let them play intermittently throughout the day as I work with them one-on-one?

My boys are 3rd and 1st grade, by the way... And the 1st grader can't read much yet...

TIA!

What I do for the children that are waiting for mom to be free is have a rubbermaid container (a small one) filled with activities that they can do on their own. I put in craft kits, lego kits, science kits, math picture books, art supplies etc. So it is kind of playing and educating all at the same time. I only change the activities weekly.

Yea on your first week!

My boys are twins but all their academic stuff is one on one and teacher led. I let the guy not doing math, spelling, etc. play. It works fine here. In fact, I think it fits my two to have those mental breaks.

Edited by sbgrace

If they can find things to do on their own, let them play. They should have some chores to do, but mostly they should be playing. If they cannot figure out what to do on their own, you should be prepared to give them some options. Kids often forget what they could be doing, even if it is staring them in the face.

As long as they don't mind being interrupted in their play, I say let them play! :) If they do mind being interrupted that is a whole other story. Then I would try to mesh the subjects as much as possible. My kids are currently 4th and 6th, so I'm right there with you. As far as the one on one, but separate curriculum, you could still do LA (for example) together. Have both sons seated at the table. Address the younger son first, teach him how to complete his work, then address the older son and teach him how to complete his work. This will serve as review for the older son and you will standby for questions or helping. If the curriculum doesn't lend itself to this I would really try to combine them if their ability levels are at all close. If neither of those things will work you could still have both boys seated at the table and combine their lessons by staggering the instruction and questions (think First Language Lessons), section the lesson off into parts and do first one boy, then the other, and repeat until it is all covered. Both boys would still probably gain from two levels of instruction intertwined.

My boys (3rd & 2nd grade) play during their little breaks. They have a bit more seatwork to do but it's an incentive to get it done if they get to play after. they need those little breaks and know that I'll be calling them back sooner or later to do history or math.

I think playing is fine. I also have an expanding folder that I fill with random worksheets (torn out of Beginning Geography, Lollipop Logic, stuff from TeacherFilebox) and also these cards that I made up that include playdough, write a letter, make a necklace, moonsand, tangrams, etc, etc. I usually place three things they can do fairly independently and she can pick one at a time until it's empty and then I will refill it with three different things. (I'm sure I'll bump it up eventually.) She wants "school time" to be school-y, but I have a baby that needs to be fed, or a toddler that needs help going potty, etc. So, when an instance like that comes, she'd rather pick from her "free folder" over just going and playing.

They don't need to have a school frame of mind, but it's nice if they can still be in the same room with you, coloring or doing puzzles or whatnot. Of course, they can do school-y kinds of stuff, but because they want to, not because it's school.

I would get a workbook or two for them to work on during some (not all) of that time. Maybe something that goes with CC history or science? I did this because we are doing all teacher intensive work and I wanted my daughter to learn to be able to follow directions without me right over her. Like others said, you could have them do a chore over one of the other times. When my daughter needs a play break, I will say "you have 15 minutes" and then set a timer so she know how long she has left to play. You could do this for the child playing (or doing some other activity) when you are working with your other one. I recently read in a book to also put a timer on the kid so he knows when to come back :tongue_smilie:. It may help him mentally prepare for the transition back to one-on-one time.

I had to address this issue also this week. I'm HSing 4 at the time. My 5th grader and a 1st, K, pre-K (because he want to do school :D). I decided to have "center time" with my younger 3 because they need more focused Mom time. While I'm working with one child, one is on laptop playing educational games like starfall and the other is looking at books or coloring. Then I rotate so all get Mom time and all get computer time (because they love that). I did this on Thurs and Friday and it worked so much better than all 3 at the table at the same time needing me at the same time.

I think playing is fine and if it is working for your family then I wouldn't change things up! My DDalmost4 stays in the school room with us because she wants to. She has a few workbooks and plays with tons of math manipulatives. I think it would be great to have them sometimes play with math or phonics manipulatives so that they are still learning on their own. I am a true believer that all families need to find their own rhythm. What works for someone else probably won't work for you. I would say to go with your gut and if it is working...don't fix it!!! :D

I have a 3rd and 1st grader as well. My 1st grader is a very fluent reader which makes it easier but you can certainly modify what I do for a non-reader as well.

I did let the younger one play during free time last year (Kindergarten) and I do sometimes this year, but not NEARLY as much. At 1st grade IMO it is time to understand that school is a responsibility.

I made a list of acceptable "free choice" activities. These are school-related activities that the child can choose to do when I am busy with the other child or at times when I am otherwise distracted.

Some items on our list:

- workbooks (these are extra workbooks not related to our core curriculum. Mine at this point are regular grammar/math workbooks, but they have plenty available for early readers/pre-readers as well.)

- free reading (this could be easy readers or picture books for the 1st grader who is not yet reading. Seriously go to the library every week and check out 20-30 books and make sure PLENTY are always on hand.)

- Typing Tutor (I purchased a children's typing program and my kids can practice learning to touch type in their spare time.)

- Drawing (an afternoon choice only)

- Level-appropriate educational web sites or video games. These are selected for the child. For your 1st grader, something Starfall might be appropriate since he is not reading well. Last year I let my younger child do phonics & math games on her leapster - this year I let her do BrainAge occasionally on her DS.

- Scissor skills, dot-to-dots, etc, printed out from a site like Enchanted Learning might still be appropriate for your 1st grader.