Menu

Where to eat in Gatlinburg?

So we're planning a vacation for the end of September and I've got most of it planned. We'll do the Ripley's stuff, Ober Gatlinburg, and nature stuff like the National Park/Laurel Falls hike/Clingman's Dome. I was wondering about places to eat. I heard Apple Barn and The Old Mill are good places to go... are they expensive? Also, when would be the best time to go (what time of day and what day of the week?) since they are probably often busy? Anywhere else we should go? We don't want to spend too much $ on food though...

Thanks! :)

Best Italian. (Yes, that's what it's called.) YUM!!!! It is not a tourist place, it is local and super yummy, and very inexpensive. Call them for directions, it's hard to find but still in the thick of things, if that makes sense.

They have the very best garlic yeast rolls you will ever taste. Great spaghetti and marinara. Oh, and the salad with house dressing. Mmmmmm. Everything else is probably excellent, but I got stuck on one meal, and ate it every single time.

Once upon a time, I lived in NM and my mother lived in NC. We were driving to my house, and she *insisted* that we detour to Gatlinburg for this meal. I thought she was out of her mind. But we did. And... Yum.

Years later, I did a 3 week art show in Gatlinburg, and ate there multiple times. Still yummy.

And recently, I took DH and the kiddo to Gatlinburg for ostensibly on vacation, but really so DH could try those yummy yeast rolls. He loved them, too. We ate there 3 times in one week. :)

For years, it was our go-to place if the world were to end. My mom and I planned to meet in Gatlinburg, at Best Italian. :D

Please eat there vicariously for me, and report back!

We've eaten at the Mexican restaurant that I've believe is called "No way Jose". It was good.

This restaurant is right across the street from the aquarium (we were just there today! - the aquarium, not the restaurant).

Off topic, if you have some kind of "proof" of being a home-educator, like a co-op teacher's card with your name on it or maybe a letter from your umbrella school, if you have one, you *should* get a really good discount for the aquarium.

Here's a link with more information:

http://gatlinburg.ripleyaquariums.com/education/home-school/

The military discount is even better if that applies to you.

Have fun! We live only about an hour from Gatlinburg so we'll often take day trips - today was mommy/son day and we had a blast! There's so much to do!

you know, maybe I should have read the details of that link before posting (I pulled it from a series of emails about a homeschool discount at Ripley's without really looking at it) but it looks like the special price is just for getting in for homeschool classes? But it sounded like from the emails that the rate might be good at any time. It wouldn't hurt to call Ripley's ahead of time and ask.

Log Cabin Pancake House, Pancake Pantry, The Peddler (steak house--a bit pricey), Wild Plum Tea Room. In Pigeon Forge there is the Old Mill Pottery House Cafe and Grill (not to be confused with the Old Mill Restaurant). But nearly everywhere you go, the food is overpriced.

Of course in Gatlinburg you can wander up the main road and find ginormous corn dogs, sausage and peppers on rolls, some delicious fresh lemonade, and other junk food wonders. Kilwin's ice cream is in both Gatlinburg and PF (happens to be my favorite ice cream!). You can surely find some BBQ places.

That's all I can think of for now...I did actually see a Cuban restaurant in PF in the spring. Couldn't believe it. :)

I love the Apple Barn and I have always wanted to do the Alpine Slide, but we have never had time. Ripley's was a lot of fun. We spent a lot of time walking around and looking in the little gift shops. We did not buy much, but searched until we found the perfect t-shirt!