Menu

Medieval History 6th Grade

I'm so frustrated and would really appreciate some feedback. My current 6th grader is my most reluctant learner. We've completed 6 weeks of school already and are on a three week break. We started out using CHOL. It was going well until she started to read The Sword in the Circle. My 5th grader loved it. I substituted a HO book (The Door in the Wall and all was well. I just don't know how to proceed. She tried HO Ancients Logic last year and found it dry and not exciting. My two younger girls are doing SOTW2, my 5th grader loves EVERYTHING but this girl...I'm in a quandry. Does anyone have any recommendations? I do have K12's The Human Odyssey books and could use them but I don't have the activity guides and I'm wondering if it would be difficult to line up literature selections. I'm schooling 5 girls (my oldest is a senior this year) and honestly, I need to be completely organized in order to function. I have Kingfisher (both white and red) and Usborne Internet Linked World History but I'm just feeling totally overwhelmed. Please help. 14 years of homeschooling has gleaned many wonderful resources but I'm drowning in options.

Oh, if it helps, said daughter does need Outlining practice.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance.

Michele, it would not be difficult to line up literature selections with Human Odyssey and you don't need the activity guides. Do you want to keep things fairly simple for her? How does she feel about text books and her literature readings? Does she like to do hands-on? You want her to learn to outline and is there anything else that is critical on your list of skills? Where are you now on the Medieval history? Is she okay with mapping and timelines? Do you want her to do those activities? Do you have time to talk about what she has read?

Oh thank you for your help! Sneaking back on to the computer while I'm supposed to be prepping for the storm. My daughter isn't thrilled with the Usborne book but seemed to like both of the Kingfishers. She enjoys literature but NOT if there is too much dialect (I think that she's kind of a lazy reader). Outlining and an understanding of daily life (customs, beliefs and how it is both similar and different to her own), an appreciation that history reflects both where we've been, who we are and how we (as contemporary people)perceive daily events is important to me. Equally important to HOW MUCH she learns is that she learns that the process of exploring knowledge is pleasurable. I think that she's weak with mapping skills (my fault) but has a decent understanding of timelines. Thus far we've studied the fall of Rome, King Arthur ,the Arabian Knights, Jewish Persecution and religion in the Middle Ages (a strange "stew" of SOTW, History Odyssey and CHOL).We do have time for discussion (we have a 14 minute drive to gymnastics 6 days a week). I tried pairing her with her 5th grade sister but little sister read ALL of the books for Logic AND ALL of the books that her two grammar stage sisters read (CHOL). Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I honestly thought that homeschooling would be "old hat" by now. Sigh..In my experience, every single year is as different as the learner who is in that grade. :001_huh: Thanks again for your time and help. :grouphug:

It sounds like you have History Odyssey Middle Ages on hand? If you do, I have a schedule that lines up Human Odyssey with History Odyssey for that time period, which I can email you. However, since she finds History Odyssey to be dry, I would cut back on a lot of the assignments. There is some redundancy that is just not necessary. Also, PBS has some incredible documentaries for the Byzantine and Islamic Empires that you could have her watch. If you don't have HO Middle Ages, you can make a simple routine for her to go with Human Odyssey and we can fill in the literature. Do you need one book a week? More or less?

I do have History Odyssey Middle Ages (logic). While the Ancients really did seem a bit dry, I think that the Middle Ages is really interesting. Dd seemed to like it (I copied the assignments into her assignment book so she has no idea that her work was from History Odyssey). Lining up Human Odyssey and History Odyssey would be wonderful! I think that a book per is ideal (and doable for my 5th grader). However, it really stressed out 6th grader and I'm just not sure that it's worth killing her love of history. Most of my girls respond really well to rigor and high expectations. This sweetie just seems to withdraw.

I think that a book bi-weekly seems to work best (I also assign another book for reading and she always has a book). Thank you so much for your kindness. I have been so stressed about this. We're schooling 6 weeks on and two weeks off all year so I'm hoping that I'll have more time to "zhush" our plans.

:grouphug:

Swimmermom - Do you have links for the PBS shows?

Capt Uhura

Empire of Faith, Part 1

PBS Lesson Plans

The Crusades: Crescent and Cross

When the Moors Ruled Europe

Empires - The Series (plenty to keep you going here through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and Reformation

Byzantium: The Lost Empire

Terry Jones' Barbarians (4 parts)

The Primitive Celts

The Savage Goths

The Brainy Barbarians

The End of the World

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives

For a different route, have you thought about doing the VP self-paced, online MARR (Middle Ages, Reformation, and Renaissance) course? My dd did it last year at age 11 and LOVED it, absolutely loved it. They're doing a free one month trial, so it wouldn't cost you anything to try. The lessons are structured by cards (weeks), and for each card they pop up on the screen and tell you what readings she could do to go along with the topics. So literally it would take care of everything for you and leave you room to add on anything special you have.

As far as books for 11 yo's on the middle ages, neither of those would have been my dd's picks last year. I can ask her for a list of favs if you want. It's a good age for mysteries. Look through the VP catalog in the MARR section and find the things that look like mysteries. Door in the Wall was a read aloud we did when she was little, maybe 2nd grade?, and she didn't really get into it. Sword in the Circle I think I have, but I don't think she cared for. Let me talk with her when she gets back and see what she says.

It might be your dd will like history JUST FINE when you get the right stuff. My dd is NUT-SO for history, absolutely nutso, and she would have HATED doing it with HO, etc. She's also not a textbook person. History textbooks are for people like me, people who just want in and out and just want to see the big picture. The VP stuff is interesting because it bridges that. The card structure makes the expectations very clear, perfect for big picture people who hate history and just want to know what they need to know and get it over with. But the rabbit trails and humor and extra stories of the online lessons make it engaging for kids who love history or who would if someone had the time and energy to dress up in like monks, tell the stories, and bring in talking gargoyles, kwim? :)

Oh, and the games for the self-paced classes don't hurt either. You've just gotta try it. Crazy fun, independent, and free for the first 30 days. Can't beat that. :)

I am making a note of this so when we come back to medieval times we can watch these. Thanks!

Empire of Faith, Part 1

PBS Lesson Plans

The Crusades: Crescent and Cross

When the Moors Ruled Europe

Empires - The Series (plenty to keep you going here through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and Reformation

Byzantium: The Lost Empire

Terry Jones' Barbarians (4 parts)

The Primitive Celts

The Savage Goths

The Brainy Barbarians

The End of the World

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives

Another perhaps fun supplement - I just got The Black Death unit from RFWP. It's from Shelagh Gallagher's Problem-Based Learning series - the kids are members of a town in northern Italy - they hear it's moving north from southern Italy, what should they do? It's ideal if you have a small group to do this program with; it's meant to be collaborative. It comes with a booklet of primary resources for them to read to give them perspective and to guide them in their decisions. It looks sooo cool! It's aimed at the middle grades - I'm planning on using it with my three kids (two 8th and a 5th grader) together.

It sounds like she needs and/or prefers a lighter reading level. Perhaps she would respond better to beautiful picture books that also contain worthwhile information, too.

I would use the Kingfisher white to outline from (the red's text is too compressed for outlining).

I also allowed my younger son to read SOTW on his own in sixth grade. There is still good info to be gleaned there, and it would be lighter reading for her. She could still use that map work, too, and you could add more to it to beef it up for her.

Another perhaps fun supplement - I just got The Black Death unit from RFWP. It's from Shelagh Gallagher's Problem-Based Learning series - the kids are members of a town in northern Italy - they hear it's moving north from southern Italy, what should they do? It's ideal if you have a small group to do this program with; it's meant to be collaborative. It comes with a booklet of primary resources for them to read to give them perspective and to guide them in their decisions. It looks sooo cool! It's aimed at the middle grades - I'm planning on using it with my three kids (two 8th and a 5th grader) together.

This sounds similar to a fun book we used this last year, The Seventh Expert.

It sounds like she needs and/or prefers a lighter reading level. Perhaps she would respond better to beautiful picture books that also contain worthwhile information, too.

I would use the Kingfisher white to outline from (the red's text is too compressed for outlining).

I also allowed my younger son to read SOTW on his own in sixth grade. There is still good info to be gleaned there, and it would be lighter reading for her. She could still use that map work, too, and you could add more to it to beef it up for her.

Michele, not to muddy the waters further, but I missed Regina's post earlier and do think that her suggestions are worth considering. I have used Regina's history lists for more than one year running and what I love is that she doesn't make things overly complicated like I do, she chooses books on a variety of levels which I think actually makes things go more smoothly for the student, and her sense of chronology is similar to mine, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Many of the picture books by authors like Geraldine McCaughrean still offer sophisticated writing. Last year, I gave my dd (a senior at the time) a less-than-stellar translation of Gilgamesh. She loathed it, and ended up reading McCaughrean's book. While this isn't teaching at its finest moment for me, she now knows the story and knows why it is important, which is more than I can say for most of her peers. If you intersperse picture books with your regular literature, you can ease the load but still give your history a more vibrant texture.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Thanks so much for all of your assistance everyone!! We started school this past Monday (well,started AGAIN...it's actually week 7) and we're still trying to find our groove. I'm thinking about starting light (SOTW, Human Odyssey and white Kingfisher) and adding in literature when possible. My indecision isn't helping. I know that dd doesn't like History Odyssey (I like it). I feel like I'm walking a virtual tightrope. Fifth grade sister LOVES history (she LOVES everything!). I'm tiptoeing around her program while trying to finalize sixth grade sister. Not so good. Fortunately, my second and fourth grader really enjoy SOTW and the activity guide. The only positive output from my history quandary is that I've really kept it simple for the two younger girls. Lots of additional books and that's it. Sigh. It's a good thing that we school year round!!

Even the jump to high school for my oldest daughter was easier than this history issue! Thanks to everyone for your input.

:)Michele (bewildered and confused)

How long do you think it would take to do this? I'm considering offering something for our enrichment classes in our group in the spring and this could be fun. I'd have about an hour a week.

If you want simple have her read SOTW with the younger ones. Then have her read the Kingfisher pages specified in the AG. Have her outline one section. Add in historical fiction and literature from the WTM. Actually, I can give you my lit list if you want! I have a 6th grader doing this, and dialect is HARD. I actually dropped a few things and rearranged because of that.

I will tell you what SOTW chapter we will be on when we start each of these books.

Eagle of the Ninth, SOTW chapter 1 - 3

Augustine Came to Kent, chapter 3

St. George and the Dragon, chapter 8/9

Canturbury Tales (the translation/retelling advised in TWTM) Chapter 11

Norse Mythology (from the library, whatever is available) Chapter 14-15

Robin Hood Chapters 18-23

The Cure Chapter 25-29

Anpao Chapters 30-33

The Sword and the Circle: Stories of King Arthur Chapters 34-38

Shakespeare Stories Chapters 39-42

I hope that helps. The chapters referenced for each one don't exactly tie in, but it gives a good spacing while covering things around the time SOTW does. Also, I left in blocks for free reading in a few places.