Menu

What's the beef with Drawing With Children?

KristenR

My dh has decided that he will be taking care of the artistic portion of homeschooling. He recently started Drawing With Children with dd5 and so far they both love it. I am wondering if there is a hiccup coming up or something?

Maybe the reason they love it is because it is the only thing he has to plan so it doesn't matter if it's time consuming because its the only subject he is teaching???

I want to keep dh motivated but after reading some comments on DWC I'm starting to get worried. Is there some flaw with DWC?

But then again, if it ain't broke.....

There isn't a flaw with it - but it takes planning. I never had art instruction as a child and I have three children and one on the way. Figuring out how to use a book that has five "lessons" when I wasn't taught that way and then planning my own lessons, finding my own line drawings, etc, is overwhelming.

As with most curricula, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (And avoid threads trashing it!)

:-)

Emily

I just found it difficult to use with my littles. I use it when they are older. I am using it now. :D

For some, I think it is fine motor skill and the lessons themselves that seem awwkward and not so much unusable. It seems to be truly appropriate to use once the children can write. This is just based on my experience X2.

Edit: I created a plan to use once a week that combines and uses other resources to add more pre-designed items with it. We don't always do once a week, but there are 50 lessons that we spread out with a great artist easy notebook too.

Edited by ChrissySC

There isn't a flaw with it - but it takes planning. I never had art instruction as a child and I have three children and one on the way. Figuring out how to use a book that has five "lessons" when I wasn't taught that way and then planning my own lessons, finding my own line drawings, etc, is overwhelming.

As with most curricula, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (And avoid threads trashing it!)

:-)

Emily

:iagree: If it works for your family than I would continue using it:) Just wasn't what I was looking for:tongue_smilie:

Edit: I created a plan to use once a week that combines and uses other resources to add more pre-designed items with it. We don't always do once a week, but there are 50 lessons that we spread out with a great artist easy notebook too.

You know we all would love to see this plan? Pretty please.:001_smile:

Thanks,

Joy

You know we all would love to see this plan? Pretty please.:001_smile:

Thanks,

Joy

Well, you know ... because I love you all so muuuucccchhh - I put it and my history on my blog already, LOL :lol:

I will have Q2 for history up soon, but all of art, including the how-to for our great artist study (with our list of artists) is up there as well.

No need to want. Done did it already (4yo speak, LOL)

Well, you know ... because I love you all so muuuucccchhh - I put it and my history on my blog already, LOL :lol:

I will have Q2 for history up soon, but all of art, including the how-to for our great artist study (with our list of artists) is up there as well.

No need to want. Done did it already (4yo speak, LOL)

Eventually the wheels started to turn and I was thinking hmmm she's probably blogged about it... not enough coffee today:D

Ohhh I almost forgot to thank you .... I'm going to look through and see if it will help motivate me to give the book a shot:tongue_smilie::D

It might just make you go "huh, no way" for the amount of planning that I did, LOL. It took me quite a few weeks of time. That should tell you something!

Eventually the wheels started to turn and I was thinking hmmm she's probably blogged about it... not enough coffee today:D

I started that silly blog mostly for you all - but I find that I like that silly thing!

I will get photos up soon of the girls and their monstrous messy projects. :glare: I wonder what I am thinking some days!

I started that silly blog mostly for you all - but I find that I like that silly thing!

I will get photos up soon of the girls and their monstrous messy projects. :glare: I wonder what I am thinking some days!

Ohhh I would love to see some of their cute projects... BTW love the warm-up excercises you did ... save me from doing them up:D:lol:

Ohhh I would love to see some of their cute projects... BTW love the warm-up excercises you did ... save me from doing them up:D:lol:

We really need more, but I found the Doodle books. These are low-cost solutions and accomplish the same thing as the warm-ups. So, we started with the warm-ups and plan to Doodle again later in the lessons.

Keep in mind that my first warm-ups were very simple. We are moving to a level 2 this year. :)

I am soooo excited to see this! I have the book, and it's sitting & gathering dust cuz I haven't made time to do better plans for it. Thank you!

I don't think there's an innate flaw with the book. I just hated it. I can't draw, period. I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I thought the instructions were hard for me to follow and I just didn't get it. I didn't get the book. Maybe because an artist wrote it and I don't think like an artist. I am a linear, from-here-to-there-give-me-specific-instructions-how-to-do-it type of person and I just felt the book was too vague. Bottom line is, I just didn't get how to teach art the way she explained it.

I don't think there's an innate flaw with the book. I just hated it. I can't draw, period. I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I thought the instructions were hard for me to follow and I just didn't get it. I didn't get the book. Maybe because an artist wrote it and I don't think like an artist. I am a linear, from-here-to-there-give-me-specific-instructions-how-to-do-it type of person and I just felt the book was too vague. Bottom line is, I just didn't get how to teach art the way she explained it.

:iagree:I'm going to give it a second shot though....maybe I'll be able to wrap my head around it...:lol::tongue_smilie:

I got my hubby to take some nice shots of hummingbirds we have visiting us and we'll be using them as inspiration:D

No beef with it here. We love it. We only got through 2 chapters last year We did various warm ups and activities from the book, plus used what we learned to create our own projects to go with other learning that we were doing.

After taking a couple of months off, we have just started back, and we are still doing projects from chapter 2. There is so much you can do with this book! We will eventually start chapter 3 and I am looking forward to gaining more knowledge from it.

Enjoy dh doing this with them. That is really cool!

No beef with it here. We love it. We only got through 2 chapters last year We did various warm ups and activities from the book, plus used what we learned to create our own projects to go with other learning that we were doing.

After taking a couple of months off, we have just started back, and we are still doing projects from chapter 2. There is so much you can do with this book! We will eventually start chapter 3 and I am looking forward to gaining more knowledge from it.

Enjoy dh doing this with them. That is really cool!

We go slow too!:lol:

I like to enjoy it. We will cover the entire book between the 4th and sometime in the 6th grade. LOL I extend the lessons though so that we have "time".