Menu

X-post: Does this sound like dyslexia?

I posted this on the K-8 curriculum board, but someone recommend that I try over here as well...

I was with a homeschooler and her ds (7yo) wrote a series of capital letters in a little notebook and asked her to read it. It was complete gobbledy gook, but I didn't think anything of it and asked if he could write his name. He got the first letter correct,D , but then used an I instead of A, and the next thing was possibly a P, but should have been an N. The mom said that she's starting to get concerned that he could have dyslexia. She says she's tried all kinds of programs with him, but to no avail. He can write the letters, but doesn't even know their sounds. Can anyone recommend something that might help them? The poor mom looked like she was about to cry when she talked about it.

This lady is in the UK? I don't know what kind of resources they have over there. Long story short, if a mom is frustrated and not having things click after trying and trying to teach and the dc is 7, it's time to get some evaluations. She can pick where she wants to start, but it's definitely time.

It's NOT necessarily dyslexia. But it could be. On the bright side, it could be *just* his eyes, really and truly. In the US we have developmental optometrists which you find through http://www.covd.org They look at how the eyes converge, focus, track, etc. It is possible to have just that going on and nothing else, so maybe that's small consolation.

In reality though, what she needs to do is start sifting through the issues. Dyslexia alone may not explain all the issues going on, and you DON'T want to ignore the rest (vision, auditory processing, need for OT, working memory issues, etc. etc.). "The Mislabeled Child" is a great place to start reading, because it will help her see a lot of the issues without looking for simple, single-faceted answers. In the US you would get a neuropsych or ed psych eval. Again, don't know what you have there. You're looking for someone who can do all kinds of testing and look for ALL the issues.

This child may need OT, probably needs a vision evaluation, may have auditory processing issues, etc. etc. Don't just pick one label and assume everything is being caused by that. Dyslexia alone doesn't explain everything you're describing.