Menu

Elementary math from the AoPS folks

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what do you all think of the theme? The monsters seem a bit babyish to me for third grade - reminiscent of that dragon cartoon on sprout or noggin. Then again, that might be enough to convince the one ds8 who is afraid to try anything that looks "hard" LOL. Other ds8, no way - he'd say it's baby math. Then again, maybe the third grade book will be appropriate for accelerated second-graders (or even younger)? It's hard to know, though it says it's aligned to the Common Core Standards, whatever those are (is perimeter typical for third grade?). In any case, it's too late for my older two boys.

Edited by wapiti

So, what do you all think of the theme? The monsters seem a bit babyish to me for third grade - reminiscent of that dragon cartoon on sprout or noggin. Then again, that might be enough to convince the one ds8 who is afraid to try anything that looks "hard" LOL. Other ds8, no way - he'd say it's baby math. Then again, maybe the third grade book will be appropriate for accelerated second-graders (or even younger)? It's hard to know, though it says it's aligned to the Common Core Standards, whatever those are (is perimeter typical for third grade?). In any case, it's too late for my older two boys.

I'm pretty convinced my son will dig it! He likes "hard". It is not looking babyish to me. I hope it is hard.

Technically my son will be going into 3rd Grade next year—right in line with the release date—but he is also just finishing up PM 3A, so it would be a bummer if he was "past it." I am sort of counting on the folks at AoPS to make it pretty interesting.

I sure hope I get a sample. Has anyone received one? Are they hard copies, or electronic?

Bill

I'm pretty convinced my son will dig it! He likes "hard". It is not looking babyish to me. I hope it is hard.

I'm sure it will be hard, content-wise. By babyish, I meant the style of the cartoons, which is the first thing my kids would notice. I showed the boys (third graders) when they got home from school - not at all interested in even seeing what it was about. Now, if they had been first graders doing third grade math, maybe their reaction would be different. Or maybe even second graders. But third grade, well, maybe if they had pictures of Lego guys :lol:

Technically my son will be going into 3rd Grade next year—right in line with the release date—but he is also just finishing up PM 3A, so it would be a bummer if he was "past it." I am sort of counting on the folks at AoPS to make it pretty interesting.

I would guess he'd be past it. That's a whole year away. Maybe they'll release more than one level at a time?

I'm sure it will be hard, content-wise. By babyish, I meant the style of the cartoons, which is the first thing my kids would notice. I showed the boys (third graders) when they got home from school - not at all interested in even seeing what it was about. Now, if they had been first graders doing third grade math, maybe their reaction would be different. Or maybe even second graders. But third grade, well, maybe if they had pictures of Lego guys :lol:

Did the boys notice that Fiona is a babe? :D

At least as math-beasts go :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I emailed them and, yes, it looks like the soonest release will be third grade, next year. I asked for recommendations and got this suggestion: http://labyrinth.thinkport.org/www/ which perhaps some of you with older elementary / jr high kids will find neat.

I'm also going to check out other resources at http://www.thinkport.org/default.tp

Edited by stripe

I emailed them and, yes, it looks like the soonest release will be third grade, next year. I asked for recommendations and got this suggestion: http://labyrinth.thinkport.org/www/ which perhaps some of you with older elementary / jr high kids will find neat.

I'm also going to check out other resources at http://www.thinkport.org/default.tp

Wow, great game. My 13 year old dove right in ;)