Menu

1997 Ford Explorer -- Buy it or run from it?

We need a car for ER & my FIL's neighbor is selling his Explorer. FIL looked at it and drove it and said it looked good to him. What we really wanted was a Honda CRV or maybe a Toyota Rav4 (good gas mileage & dependability), but we can't find one in our price range (up to $5,000). I don't really want to "settle" for something else, but...

If you have any experience with a 1997 Explorer, please post your opinion. Thanks!

We need a car for ER & my FIL's neighbor is selling his Explorer. FIL looked at it and drove it and said it looked good to him. What we really wanted was a Honda CRV or maybe a Toyota Rav4 (good gas mileage & dependability), but we can't find one in our price range (up to $5,000). I don't really want to "settle" for something else, but...

If you have any experience with a 1997 Explorer, please post your opinion. Thanks!

My mom has a 97 Explorer, and while it's been very dependable (has a zillion miles and still going strong, only the most minor repair issues, and she takes excellent care of it) it is a gas H O G. My 94 Suburban does better on mileage than her Explorer.

First car! What an exciting time!

I had a '98 that I absolutely loved and drove into the ground. Great leather seats that never showed any sign of cracking. I put almost 300,000 miles on it (about twice the national average for the time I owned it). Drove it all over the country and up into Canada a few times. But all the major parts started to wear out on it and needed replacing, so I think after so many miles that's going to happen to all of 'em. If yours has a lot lower mileage then I'd say it's good to go (had all its recall work done?) It won't be nearly as good gas mileage, though, as a Honda.... I have a Honda now and I still wish I had that Explorer....

We actually have a '97 Explorer. We bought it in 2003, right before gas started getting crazy. Oh, I wish I knew then what I know now. We have kinda a love/hate relationship with it. First, it hardly ever gets driven. My dh takes our car to work and I'll only drive the explorer if the kids and I have somewhere in town to drive to. It very rarely goes more than 5 miles on a trip. But... whenever it snows (and we had some pretty good ones this year), we love it! It has 4 wheel drive and great traction, so we can press on thru any snow storm!

All in all, I definately wouldn't buy one now. Gas prices are too crazy and it just isn't worth it, IMO. Unless you live in Alaska or something.. LOL!