Menu

Swim team moms - - dealing with puberty issues??? (female content)

Ok, what are the tips for DDs who just started menstruating and dealing with swim team (practice every day M-F)? Are the diva cups small enough for a 12 year old? Are tampons the only answer at this age?

I am panicking a bit for her because we don't have a lot of practice/adapting time before the season starts.

Not swim team but we dealt with this for dance. Basically I bought her an entire box of junior size tampons, showed her the directions, demonstrated using my hand and let her practice as much as she felt she needed to. It took about 1/2 a box for her to feel comfortable.

The plastic applicators are definitely easier.

Ok, what are the tips for DDs who just started menstruating and dealing with swim team (practice every day M-F)? Are the diva cups small enough for a 12 year old? Are tampons the only answer at this age?

I am panicking a bit for her because we don't have a lot of practice/adapting time before the season starts.

Is Instead still on the market? A disposable diva cup.

They have 2 sizes of Diva Cups, so if she is comfortable with the idea maybe try the smaller size? We had the girl talk with K already and she expressed interest in the Diva Cup since 1)that's what I use 2) she doesn't have to change(read- empty) as often and 3) She can swim, dance, and cheer without any worry of anything (read- strings) hanging out of small bottoms.

I've used Instead (not the Diva Cup, but a similar concept). I can't imagine trying to figure that thing out when I was 12. I would give my daughter Tampax Pearl and some lubricant in case she needs it. If she is concerned about the string showing just show her how to trim it a bit (maybe an inch or so) and it shouldn't be a problem.

Just dealt with swim team for the first time this summer. My dd started her cycle about 3 years ago, so thankfully that wasn't new, as well! To answer your question, we went with tampons. I simply explained it to her AND showed her the picture instructions included in the box. She got it. Worked well. HTH!

(I know, it's just not one of those subjects you really want to have to ask about, is it? :P )