Menu

I feel like I'm just "playing school"...

blondeviolin

My oldest is only five. I don't believe in bogging her down with a ton of lessons. But because she's five she gets asked CONSTANTLY when she's starting school. So we set a date: August 22nd (which is today). So I held back AAS and more formal math lessons until today. Today was our first full day with all of it...and it seriously took like 40 minutes. I know that's perfect for a 5yo...but I guess it feels almost anticlimactic. We did spelling and math, yes, but nothing was new if you know what I mean. There was no new aha moments, no new teachers, no bus ride or walking to school... In some ways I feel like she got gypped of the fun of her first day of school...even though we took her out to eat and to see a movie.

This is school, right? Because it feels like what we do everyday... :001_huh:

I teach year-round (because I work 3 days a week and have no other choice but to have school year-round to meet my state's requirements); however, I make a big deal of the first day of school : we look at our new books, I constantly remind them of their new grade level, then (this year) we went out for an after school ice cream. I think there are little, inexpensive ways you can make the first day fresh and exciting!

Honestly, I think just getting to pick out a "cool" new folder or something like that is just as good. We're starting "school" after labor day this year (my oldest is also only 5) and while we do have a bit more to do since we do Classical Conversations, it's still not that much different than every day...and I think that's ok.

I was home schooled growing up and I remember being so excited if I got to pick out a fun binder or trapper keeper instead of just a solid colored one, kwim?

I bought my daughters, K and 1st, a backpack and they thought it was the greatest thing! They keep their school books in them.

Whenever I start thinking of some of the FEW things they will miss by not going to school, I remind myself of how privileged I am in being able to build a much closer relationship with them. Since they are with me ALL day there is no one who knows them better and who can meet their needs like I can. This far out weighs bus rides or new lunchboxes. Hang in there and enjoy all the time you get to spend with your daughter. Time goes by much too quickly!

There were also no tears and facing a new situation by herself, with you at home wondering how she was doing all day. ;) Yes there are some things "missed out on", but some are good, and some are not.

K is fun, and what you did was great! If you want to go longer, do some activities or read some more good books to her. :)

I will just say, enjoy this time and don't stress yourself into doing more. You will be doing more soon enough!

Edited by Denise in IN

Don't forget to get dressed up and take school pictures. Part of homeschooling is that learning becomes part of everyday life. It sounds like you are doing great with that. Take some pictures and some measurements so you can look back over the years and see how they've grown. It's okay to make a celebration and do something fun to make your own traditions and memories.

Hmmm......well, IMHO school *is* what you do every day, especially when they're just starting. But I'm one of those non-linear thinkers who likes everything to flow together, so maybe I'm the wrong person to commiserate with. I *like* that school and life flow together. I *like* that there are no bells and whistles about "starting school."

Oh dear. I'll just be quiet now. :tongue_smilie:

Start a blog. Today.

In a years time you'll go back and read the first few entries and see that you have actually being doing something.

A year ago, my preschooler couldn't do three piece puzzles. Now she can do 50 piece puzzles if she likes the picture enough ;) and knows most of her letters.

Rosie

This is school, right? Because it feels like what we do everyday... :001_huh:

You did something special - eating out and a movie. You started new curriculum. That's more than we did on our "first day". :lol: Your DD doesn't know what a first day of "school" is like, so that's good for you! Actually, my son hasn't seemed to miss the first day of school, even though he's been through it twice. He'd rather be at home. He was excited when we started new curriculum. That's always fun. And new school supplies are always exciting. I remember picking out a Trapperkeeper too! :lol:

Just think, you didn't have to rush that morning to get everyone dressed, fed, and ready to go to school. You didn't have to worry all day about her first day. You didn't have to wake a younger sibling up from that precious nap time to go pick her up (whoever invented 2:30 pickup times clearly didn't have a napping toddler!). Your DD didn't come home with wrapping paper order forms. Your DD won't have homework all year long (to do during the "witching hour" of making dinner while little ones are melting down).

For me, the fun of the first day of school was the new school supplies. Going into a unknown situation always made me nervous, but I liked those pencils and things. Now that I've been homeschooling for a few years, nothing says new school year better than a brand new box of crayons. I still have tons of old crayons, but I like new, sharp ones for school time.

If you feel like you want school to be special, then you got to make it that way. Make up some school traditions to follow. You could have a special circle time to start your school morning. My girls loved that when they were younger. My girls always looked forward to back to school shopping. We always buy a new outfit for the first day. I also wrap up all their new school books and they open up their presents on the first day. And did I mention new pencils? When they were little they wanted to talk to school, so we did. I let the girls get ready with backpack on and then we walked around the block and back to our house, which was now the school. Once you start a tradition, and come back to it the next year you and your child/children will enjoy your school traditions way more than the first day of school. Having homeschool feel like playing school is great, we want our kids to have a positive view of school. Keep up the great work!

AL

Maybe the first day is anticlimatic. But, hopefully by the end of the year, you'll be able to look back on fun field trips, park days, wonderful literature that you shared together, and the chance she had to have a childhood.

I always think very fondly of my daughter's early school years and remember all the drawing, painting and crafts she had time to do. I overdid things with my poor oldest child, so the memories aren't as great, but it sounds like you aren't going to fall into that trap.

Lisa

Thanks, ladies! I knew I could count on y'all to tell me I was fine. :)

We did do new curric, used a new box of crayons and of course, like I mentioned, saw a movie and lunch out. I also took pictures of all four of my kids, but really focusing on the oldest. I'm having her fill out some About Me type sheets this week that we'll pro-click into a little booklet. I'm wanting to add to it at the start of each year.

In the end, I imagine that we should want starting "kindergarten" to feel like a typical learning day because children learn so incrementally that it should look easy to then with only a few new things tossed in.

Maybe you need to play school for awhile.

Seriously, my DD had a major case of "School envy" this summer-and most of what she wanted was the trappings of "school" that she saw her dance class friends and cousins with. "Playing School" and setting up some of those extras has made a big difference for her, for now. I doubt seriously that it will last more than a week or two, because eventually she's going to decide that it's more fun reading on the couch with mommy than sitting at her desk to do it, and that it's more fun to sort her spelling words on the floor than to do a worksheet, even if it DOES get a sticker at the end.

And yes, it feels like "playing school", not like homeschooling to me-but by playing with her, I'm finding we're getting a lot done-and she's extending it and doing a lot on her own.

Here's the first of two blog posts I've done on this recently-the second should be easy to find as well.

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2011/08/homeschoolplaying-school-in-our-case.html

I'm having her fill out some About Me type sheets this week that we'll pro-click into a little booklet. I'm wanting to add to it at the start of each year.

Did you see the About Me idea somewhere (and can share links?) or did you make that up yourself? I'd love to hear more about what is on your sheets as I think this is a great idea!

Did you see the About Me idea somewhere (and can share links?) or did you make that up yourself? I'd love to hear more about what is on your sheets as I think this is a great idea!

I am curious too. Some "About me" sheets would be loads of fun. We have a Dr Seuss book called "My Book about Me" that we are going to fill in over time. It's really charming. A sheet or two at the beginning of the year's saved work would be great to look back on too.

DH and I were just talking about trapperkeepers the other night. :D The main difference between a regular day and an official school day for us will be our calendar and weather chart. I feel like most of what we're doing is something we might have done anyway, but I am more purposeful and organized about our days/goals.