Menu

Potty-trained 2 year old now regressing-aghhhhh!

So, my 2 yo DD potty trained the 1st of April. She was done with diapers, day and night, with no accidents. Fast forward 3 months and she started having a few accidents here and there, then wetting at night and naps again. Now she is starting to pee in her undies almost everytime, will go to the potty and finish and change her undies, all by herself. She is wetting almost everynight now and during most naps.:confused: I am stumped?? I haven't put a diaper back on her, but I'm wondering if I should? She can also go days with no accidents. I just really don't know what to do with her. I never have to clean it up because she already does and she never has poopy accidents. Any advice or BTDT!! Thanks!

I don't want to sound like a know it all, but:001_smile: as the oldest of 4, and with 4 of my own, you might have tried a little early. My 1st DD trained at 2 (on her b-day week) and regressed. I was smarter with the next, at 2 1/2 and had no problems. 3rd DD also trained at just over 2, regressed and had to go through it again at 3. My mom trained me at just under 2 and I had problems until I was almost 4, same with 1 of my sisters. The other was closer to three and she never had any issues. BOYS are a whole other issue.

I would go backt to diapers at night and during naps, work on the awake time for now.

Is she too busy to bother going to the potty during the day? Maybe lots and lots of reminders along with frequent trips to the potty during the day.

If she has been that good about going I'd consider taking her to the doctor just to be sure there isn't anything wrong.

It's pretty common. My first trained by 2 then regressed a few months later (after her brother was born). The nurse I spoke to said it was normal, that at this age cognitively they often just 'forget' for a while. I basically started training over again, and she remembered again. What helped me was to watch my mindset, I had been thinking of potty trained as being 100% settled, so each accident was a shock and very disheartening. Now I think potty-trained is more shades of grey, sometimes their little brains just can't remember to control it. My next child was easier to train - at around the same age, but this shades-of-grey thinking really helped when he still struggled occasionally.

What I did was put some night nappies on for sleeping (but I wouldn't call them 'nappies/diapers' again, just special sleep pants or something), and when awake go back a few steps to potty-training techniques - like taking her to the potty at timely intervals. I think that being able to predict when you need to go is a mental leap that they sometimes forget.

Hope that helps! Goodluck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to put that she did go to the doctor about 2 weeks ago, because I thought it may be a bladder infection. Thankfully it wasn't. And with this stubborn child, being my 3rd, I absolutely didn't TRY to potty train her that early:lol: She was just done with diapers!! My 2nd DS potty trained himself at 2 1/2 in 10 days on a roadtrip :confused: That was fun! But with her, she is so smart, I think the novelty wore off and she's just like ehhhh. Maybe I will try diapers again at night. It is definetely worse when she has juice, so she can only have water right now.

My daughter trained at 26 or so months pretty much on her own. Then she regressed some this summer on vacation and with moving. I think its pretty normal for younger children training. Just be positive and patient and try to figure out what might be stressing her out. I always try to take her potty even after she has an accident and talk nicely about the whole lets go potty here in the potty thing and then clean it up. the only other thing i noticed was if she doesn't take a nap, she has accidents in the evening b/c she's so tired. so we take naps and we take accidents in stride. little girls need to pee ALOT.

My kids were out of diapers early (at 1.5) and accidents were rare, but when they did happen, it was usually because I'd overestimated their independence. When they were that little, it was really up to me to remember to have them go potty before bed, and notice if a long time had gone by without a pee or if they were "doing the dance" while awake. I also limited their liquids before bedtime, and made sure that until they were able to get themselves to the bathroom from their beds alone, I got in there early enough in the morning that they wouldn't have to sit and hold it for long.

Another thought - if she is peeing in her bed, maybe she isn't sleeping soundly. Kids (like adults) generally don't pee while asleep but shortly after they wake up.

I've read that constipation can lead to a lack of feeling in that general area. Could she be constipated?

I would not put her back in diapers, but I might temporarily put her on a schedule where you tell her when to go to the restroom if she doesn't go on her own. Also, personally I used to mildly consequence my kids if I felt they were "blowing it off" when they could do better. Contrary to all the "advice," it worked.

Both my older girls trained shortly after 2. They both repressed shortly after turning 3. That is around the time they started holding it instead of Peeing right away. I didn't put diapers on them they just changed clothes a lot. It only lasted a month or so. No poop accidents. They did not night train till later though.

When you took her to the Dr., did they check her blood sugar? Accidents during the day are one thing, when distraction, novelty wearing off may be at play, but naps and nighttime wetting are outside of conscious control. UTI's are one explanation, but though highly unlikely, diabetes needs to be ruled out too.

All of my kids have potty trained early. DD4 was done (day at 18mos, night at 19mos) and DD2 was done day and night at 21mos. Boys were 25mos and 28 mos. The only time I noticed them regressing was during two events - growth spurts and teething (those nasty 2yo molars). Just went through this with DD2 who was having accidents at night and sometimes during day and then suddenly realized none of her clothes fit and she had gone through a pretty big growth spurt. Could it possibly be something like that for your DD?

Any changes in life lately that could be stressing her or monopolizing her attention? Travel, visitors, lots of day away from home due to summer outings? Both of mine were out of diapers before two, pretty much self-trained because they were "done with diapers" as you say, but my ds regressed a bit when we moved just after his second birthday. Getting settled and back to a regular daily rhythm cured that. My dd was out of diapers by 17 months and just a few weeks ago, right before her second birthday, she had a couple of issues while we were away visiting and then home hosting family. Again, big changes for a little one to handle I think. I agree with the advice to try to do more reminding and try not to get stressed yourself.

Food sensitivities can trigger issues as well. Is she eating anything new/different lately? Summer equals more melons, berries, etc. around here. You mentioned that she has a problem when she drinks juice, I'd look into that angle further.

I'm not sure how to quote people so I'll just answer questions. She isn't constipated. She goes to the chiropractor regularly, so I don't think it would be anything in her back. When we were at the doctor, they did the dipstick to look for a bladder infection and said that everything looked great. No glucose in her urine, but no bloodtests. Oh, and she did just get her 2 year molars in about 1-2 months ago??

I think I may just be giving her too much independence with it? But, it just seems weird to me where she will start in her underwear, go to the potty, then changes her underwear, mostly without me knowing (until I find the pile of dirty underwear). Then have days and nights with no accidents :confused: