Menu

Favorite board games for the 4-5yo crowd?

Our favorites are:

Orchard by Haba

Hisss by Gamewright

Rivers, Roads, and Rails by Ravensburger

I'm pretty picky about preschool games and can't stand most of the standard ones like Candyland, etc. :tongue_smilie: My criteria is that it has to be tolerably fun for adults too.

Monza is on the Christmas wish list but haven't played it yet.

I'm a huge game boarder. So when the kids started to show interest I hit Goodwill on occasion and would nab games for under $2 with all the pieces! Our favorites are bolded.

Guess Who

Connect 4

Hi Ho Cherry-O

Hullabaloo

Clue Jr.

Scrabble Jr.

Hungry Hungry Hippo

Crazy 8

Old Maid

Candy Land

Memory

Cariboo

Balloon Lagoon

Guess Who Mix n' Mash

Operation

We've loved Blokus since we won the game at a Christmas party when dd was age 4. She was really good at it and it started my venture into more games. Ravensburger Enchanted Forest was one of our first games too that we loved. Hiss is easy for the younger ones that I pull out when we have company over.

There are plenty of high quality Rio Grande games available for this age, with colorful wooden pieces... Oh, and the cooperative Family Pastime games are good, inexpensive choices - like Secret Door. I really love cooperative games for any age. Forbidden Island and Castle Panic are also popular cooperative games.

Here's a link to our game closet, we really like Gamewright card games (Sleeping Queens/Frog Juice), Kinder Bunnies, and ThinkFun logic stuff. I am going to be reviewing more educational games soon too.

The Grinch Sing Your Heart Out game. My 5 y/o loves it. So does my 10 y/o. It's entertaining for my husband and I, too, because, well, it's just kind of funny.

It's a cooperative game and it involves singing together at the top of your lungs to sound activate the grinch's sled to come rolling down the "mountain" dumping out the presents that he stole so you can get them back, and who wouldn't find THAT entertaining? heh.

My son also likes the Sponge Bob version of "Life."

I think I'm going to buy "The Secret Door," that sounds like something he'd like and I could tolerate!