Menu

Do you name your homeschool?

Jay3fer

We're "Mount Parnassus Elementary", unofficially. Legally we're part of "Home Life Academy" since we go through a cover school, but DD was suffering from a major case of "school envy" and wanted the trappings of school. Our mascot is a hydra ;).

We just got our "school" set up. DD's been having fun with it-here are some pictures :).

http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2011/08/homeschoolplaying-school-in-our-case.html

I've contacted a seller on Zazzle that has a really cute hydra picture about getting it on a school shirt ;).

For the past 3 years....no we didn't have a "school" name.

Finally last year we decided to name our "school". The kids LOVED this idea. It meant packages arrived with mama's name and the school name under it too! They loved that. Plus we made a banner for our school and also have freebie tshirts made when offered through certain companies and have our school logo on it.

Cats & Kittens Academy. Seems like the kids adore the idea of having Mama cat and Daddy cat and all the cute cuddly kittens which represent THEM! :D

We too are part of HomeLife Academy, however having our own school name is cute! For the years we didn't have a name I used HomeLife Academy as the name since it's whom we are connected to.

I don't live in the particular state, but I read on one state education dept. website that the family had to choose a name. And they had specific guidelines (don't use the surname or street name, use something appropriate for a diploma if going into the HS years, don't use certain words such as "elementary" or copy other school names.)

So if I lived in that state, I'd follow their guidelines. My state doesn't require it but we have do have an unofficial name we didn't have to register. We did it even though we aren't sure how long we will homeschool. One minor reason is it makes for an easy answer in small talk conversations when my daughter is asked what school she goes to. A major one is the little ones like it. :)

I was always glad to not have to name our "school." I understand that in some areas it is required, but I always thought that naming something that was a natural outgrowth of our family life was a little silly (no offense intended to those who really love naming their schools--it's just me).

One day I asked my ds what he thought would be a good name for our "school" if we were to have to name it. He laughed and said, "Pajama School, Mom."

So, without revealing our identity too much here, we have a version of that on our car, just for giggles.

We're required to have a name in our state. We chose something that could easily be mistaken for the name of a charter school or a private school. It just sounds generically academic. I wouldn't be embarrassed to put it on a high school diploma or transcript in 15-20 yrs. We use the name for legal communication with the state and that's about it. I don't find that we need a name in real life. We just tell people that we homeschool.

Our school is Gratia Plena Academia. I wanted to call it "Full of Grace Academy" but my husband said it made him think of Full of _____ (insert inappropriate word of choice). So, we went with the Latin translation.

I wanted to have a school name for several reasons: 1) So my kids would have a school identity (other than the general "home school"). 2) Having a name makes filling out certain forms a bit easier (forms such as the Barnes & Noble Educator Discount form, Office Depot discount card form, etc. 3) I wanted a logo I could use to iron on bags, tshirts, etc, and I needed a name to go with the logo.

Texas doesn't require a school name. When DS started schooling we named our homeschool "Corps of Discovery Elementary School." I've been fascinated with Lewis and Clark, and the original Corps of Discovery for several years. I figured it sort of fits our educational values (every day is an adventure), and will sound good on a high school diploma.

Other names I considered: (many found while surfing)

P----- School for Wayward Boys

P----- Academy for the Highly Energetic

Academy of Incessant Prattling

The School of Infinite Questioning

"Street name" Road Insane Asylum

The School of Barely Controlled Chaos

And my personal favorite: Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling

And when I finally graduate my youngest, I'll be ready for the Home of the Dazed and Bewildered. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by photojenic

I started this thread, then forgot to follow up! These are all great... fascinating reasons AND names.

I have definitely sometimes referred to our homeschool as the {whatever} Academy for Unwanted Children. But not too often, and not too loud. :-)

We don't have to pick a name here, but (I guess inspired by Angela's amazing writing over at Satori Smiles) I do in my head think of it sometimes as the "Smile Factory."

Mostly for the irony because we have so many tears and screaming around here. Luckily, most of the tears and screaming have nothing to do with homeschooling. But still… "welcome to The Smile Factory." It just sounds sinister...;)

We named ours, because the boy wanted a name after reading about school names in a grammar curriculum.

We're Seedling Academy, so named because we were doing quite a bit of gardening at the time. We even have a poster hanging in the kitchen. I imagine it will change in a few years, but both kids like it for now.

We ended up with a school name because we couldn't go on a museum field trip without one. When I was talking to the person from the museum on the phone I happened to see a book on St. Aquinas so I said our school's name was Aquinas Academy.

For the most part, we don't use our name, but it has come in handy a couple times.

A few years ago I gave our school a name. It hasn't really stuck and ds never liked "academy". I think it sounded too serious for him. Anyway, I wanted something to do with nature. On our local map the little hill behind our house is labeled as a mountain. This cracks me up. It truly is a hill. I would like to live in the mountains though. So, I named our school Wildwood Mountain Academy.

I tried out Plum Tree Cottage School for awhile. That was inspired by a picture book we read. That didn't stick either and I don't really like it. Maybe I need the dc' input. I like the idea of a name. Maybe they'd like t-shirts with the name on them. Great idea!

I let my children vote on a name after we read stories about many different saints. So we are St. Ignatius of Loyola. Except my teenage daughter says she is attending Sacred Heart, which is a small (one student) all-girl Catholic high school that is considering going co-ed in the next few years (when her brother starts ninth grade). Here is where the name comes in handy: When I would use my teacher discount card at Borders or other stores, the cashiers would always ask for the school name. When I would say that we homeschooled, their attitudes immediately changed to being skeptical. Once I started answering, "St. Ignatius of Loyola," the attitude was gone. They assume we are a Catholic school with which they are unfamiliar. And Texas law says that we are a private school. Texas is a great place to homeschool!

Other names I considered: (many found while surfing)

And my personal favorite: Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling

And when I finally graduate my youngest, I'll be ready for the Home of the Dazed and Bewildered. :tongue_smilie:

You must have been standing in front of our house when you came up with this particular name :tongue_smilie:

Well, right now little DD is at the Ayn Rand School for Tots, and bigger DD just moved on to Midvale School for the Gifted. In high school they'll attend Wozniak Nerd Academy.

Not really! I just couldn't resist. DH does want to use Midvale School for the Gifted, though. :lol:

I've always loved the idea of a name. Our home is unofficially named "Shiloh" (thus, my siggy). Shiloh means 'place of peace', and yes, with ten children there is some irony there. So sometimes we call ourselves Shiloh Academy. More recently I've thought of renaming us Mitwit Academy for 'men in training' and 'women in training' and because I think it sounds like fun. If you say it fast it sounds like nitwit and I have to suppress giggles thinking of telling grocery store clerks that my children go to the nitwit school.

We don't have to name our homeschool..........yay for Texas laws! But we did because it's so fun and I feel so official.......

We are Lextin Academy. Lextin is a combo of my name and my hubby's name. And Academy is to sound smart :D I wanted something to look good on a diploma someday.

We're Acts 20:24 Veritas Academy. It just fits us. Acts 20:24 is the name of our ministry. Veritas means truth, which is important to us as well. We're really not into the subjective humanism of the public school system. We believe what we believe in because it is true, not because it just "works" for us or makes us feel good.

One day I hope to become certified in our state via a weekend university program available here. We have a vision to be able to do also teach other kids besides our own, if only for afterschooling or tutoring. In our state you can teach your own children but no one else's without a license ("Not even your own grandkids," as I was told).

Great question. I have enjoyed reading the other answers :)

Keys Atheneum. Keys to an excellent education and we are located in the Florida Keys. We go with the first definition of Atheneum:

1.*institution for the promotion of literary or scientific learning

In this case literary and scientific learning. I want to put an equal emphasis on English, Literature and History as Science and Math.

• 1 month later...

We came up with a name, only because ds told me that he thought our homeschool needed a name. Mainly because he wanted to put a banner on our front door with our school name. That has yet to happen:) I let him pick out the name. He came up with LCA Academy. The three letters stand for the names of my three kids. He wanted to name it just LCA but I told him something I had to go after it. I gave him plenty of choices, and he went with academy:)

We don't have to have a name but for various forms (discount cards, etc) we decided to. Ours is TRLT Academy. TRLT stands for The Road Less Traveled. It fits perfectly for us because all of our extended family think we are insane because we decided to homeschool because EVERYBODY goes to public school. :lol: