Menu

How would I state an extra year of high school on a transcript?

I have recently started considering an extra half year, or a whole year of high school because I don't know if I will be able to complete all of my schoolwork on time. If I can, then I will be extremely happy!!:) But there are a lot of things going on family wise that would affect my academic even if I was in regular ps, so being homeschooled really helps me out here. Anyways, I was wondering how one would make an extra year of high school look more like 4 years of high school on a transcript? I just want to know in case I have to change my plans around.

Thank you!!

Hi, my oldest dd will be doing an extra year of high school.

Instead of ordering your transcript by year like this:

2010-2011

English

Math

German

Latin

Chemistry

2011-2012

2012-2013

Label it by subject so it looks like this:

Mathematics

Algebra II

Geometry

Trigonometry

Calculus

Foreign Language

German I

German II

Science

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

If you group things by subject, you don't have to attach a year to each course, just a grade. Put on the transcript a graduation date and don't worry about the start date. If someone asks you how many years it took to earn these credits or if you took an extra year, be honest and, if needed, give a one-sentence reason.

Two of my sons graduated from homeschool with transcripts arranged by subject instead of by year. The transcripts were accepted without question at both the state universities and private universities where they applied.

--Dawn

This is what my oldest is doing also - an extra year of high school and the college accepted his transcripts grouped by subject rather than by year with no questions asked.

Two of my sons graduated from homeschool with transcripts arranged by subject instead of by year. The transcripts were accepted without question at both the state universities and private universities where they applied.

--Dawn

Ok so this really puts my mind at ease, I feel a lot better now. I think taking an extra year of high school will really help me focus more on my major and other interests.

This is what my oldest is doing also - an extra year of high school and the college accepted his transcripts grouped by subject rather than by year with no questions asked.

Wow this is just awesome, I am now more confident in my decision to take a year "off" and focus more on the important things. Thank you all so much, I feel ten times better now!!:001_smile:

I also vote for arranging courses by subject rather than year. I just took one of my kids (a year early!) to UT Austin where she is majoring in Honors Math and that is how I created her transcript. All of the colleges she applied to accepted the transcript without question; you should be fine!

BTW, some of her classes she actually took way before "high school," but I figured they would count for high school credit, so if you have any of those, throw them on there!

I also vote for arranging courses by subject rather than year. I just took one of my kids (a year early!) to UT Austin where she is majoring in Honors Math and that is how I created her transcript. All of the colleges she applied to accepted the transcript without question; you should be fine!

BTW, some of her classes she actually took way before "high school," but I figured they would count for high school credit, so if you have any of those, throw them on there!

Thank you for the extra advice and Congrats to your daughter!! I would love to graduate a year early, but it doesn't always happen the way we want it too lol, thank you so much!!:)