Menu

WWE -- how to choose?

shari99

My dd is starting 4th grade tomorrow (and no I am not ready)! She hasn't had any formal writing experience, but she reads above her grade level.

Should I just go ahead and try level 3 or 4? Are there any sort of assessments available?

Do I need the text and the workbook? In the sample of the workbook it seems like there are directions for the instructions.

Ack! I am so overwhelmed.

I'm surprised no one has answered you yet. Quick moving board. We're starting WWE tomorrow (testing the waters). I have the text and in it are all the assessments. I gave ds7 the End of Year 2 assessment and he wasn't able to nail that dictation down (I hear similar stories from others here). In any case, he's a rising third grader. It would be a good idea to get the text first, administer the assessments, and go from there.

I'm excited about trying the first lesson of WWE 2 with ds tomorrow. We'll only be using the text, but she lays out the first lesson.

Good luck!

These are my feelings.

I think very few kids are ready to start WWE at level 3 or 4, unless they have been doing a lot of dictation and summarizing.

But I also don't think most 4th graders need to spend a whole year on level 1 or 2 (or maybe even 3).

I think the best thing to do is to get the hardback book The Complete Writer text, and start at the beginning and do all the sample weeks. You can probably do the 6 sample weeks in just a week or two (do two days each day). Then move on to level 2. There are 5 sample weeks here, it may take you nearly 5 weeks, but I bet she'll be able to move into level 3 then.

I also think if she is competent at WWE 3 by the end of 4th grade, there isn't any reason not to move on to WWS in 5th grade. My boys both did WWE 1-3 and are able to do the sample weeks of WWS just fine.

There is an assessment here.

If you have a younger child that would use the workbooks, I'd go ahead and get the workbooks for whereever the 4th grader places, and you can zip through them. If you don't have a younger child and/or money is tight, just get the instructor text and pick your own passages for anything you need beyond the example passages in the text.

Either way works. I find the workbooks easier to use because the questions are all there for me and it completely holds my hand. The instructor text explains things pretty well and gives some example weeks, and picking your own passages is useful too. Some people prefer picking their own. It's all personal preference. I agree that you wouldn't need to spend a year on WWE2 with a 4th grader, most likely.

What about a whole year on WWE 2 with a third grader who is familiar with copywork, dictation, and narration CM style? Will we be behind, or skip a few lessons if ds is doing really well midway?

I don't see a problem with doing WWE a year behind. If the child is not ready for WWE3, stay in WWE2 until he is.

We started second grade still in WWE1 since we started late. I did speed it up over the summer because he really was ready for the WWE2 narrations. You know your child and what he's ready for. ;)

Is there a similar assessment for FLL? I would love to have that info too!

Thanks again!

I don't think there is... You can usually jump into FLL at grade level, since each level repeats the information taught in previous levels. We only did half of FLL2, for example, and we're doing fine in FLL3. WWE, on the other hand, is skill based, so you can't just jump in anywhere if you haven't been working on the skills of narration and dictation.

I don't see a problem with doing WWE a year behind. If the child is not ready for WWE3, stay in WWE2 until he is.

We started second grade still in WWE1 since we started late. I did speed it up over the summer because he really was ready for the WWE2 narrations. You know your child and what he's ready for. ;)

Thanks.

:iagree: WWE is more skill level than grade level, if that makes sense. Rebecca will do part of WWE 2 and part of WWE 3 in third grade because I spent half a year trying out SL's LA.