Menu

Books for little boys (Similar to Junie B. First Grader- but for boys not girls)

My dd's LOVED Junie B First Grader in grades k-2. We are getting rid of them now as I am going through bookshelves getting ready for our new grades/ages/reading abilities and books that have been read a million times.

I am looking for something similar to read aloud to my ds's this year (K and 1st grader)

Thanks for the suggestions?

:bigear:

My son loved Captain Underpants in first grade, but I'm not sure you want to go there. ;)

A lot of kids like The Magic Treehouse as well. Or you could try Geronimo Stilton (or save them for when your boys are reading early chapter books on their own).

:bigear:

My son loved Captain Underpants in first grade, but I'm not sure you want to go there. ;)

A lot of kids like The Magic Treehouse as well. Or you could try Geronimo Stilton (or save them for when your boys are reading early chapter books on their own).

Hmmm-- Captain Underpants? I will have to see what those are about LOL.

I forgot- we do have some Magic Treehouse books and Magic School Bus books. Those will not last to long though. I will check out the Geronimo Stilton! I have never heard of those!

Franny K Stein is a series about a little girl who is a mad scientist. My son loved them (still rereads them every now and then and he's had them for over 2 years I think. There are 7 books.

Captain Underpants is a favorite (also gets reread often) and a newer series he enjoys is Frankie Pickle, there are only 3 books so far in that one.

Franny K Stein is a series about a little girl who is a mad scientist. My son loved them (still rereads them every now and then and he's had them for over 2 years I think. There are 7 books.

Captain Underpants is a favorite (also gets reread often) and a newer series he enjoys is Frankie Pickle, there are only 3 books so far in that one.

Horrible Harry

I will check those out for sure!

I always think of the Ready Freddy series as the exact equivalent of Junie B Jones for boys. Geronimo Stilton was the series that convinced ds he loved to read. He also read the A-Z Mysteries, Cam Jansen, and a huge hit here, The Secrets of Droon about that age.

Really? Maybe I will pull them out of our donate box and try them.

He thought they were funny. Junie is a bit of a hellion, so that made her appealing :D

While I liked "boy books" myself, and am not looking to force "girl books" on my son, I do think there is something to the idea of getting past narrow ideas about what boys (or girls) ought to read just because the gender of the lead character does not match their own. KWIM?

Bill

Guest PetVet

My son loved all the Stink Moody http://www.stinkmoody.com (Judy's brother) books by Megan McDonald. When he ran out of Stink books, he even read the Judy books for fun and he's decidedly 'anti-girl stuff'.

Geronimo Stilton, Horrible Harry and the Captain Underpants series were big around here too.

My 7 year old son is really enjoying the Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillo. My mom is a 1st grade teacher and brought them last Christmas and they are well liked by my boy/girl twins. I think there are 6 in the series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0763645044/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_g14_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0XGHT5SYMP9VCJBZRRGR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

He thought they were funny. Junie is a bit of a hellion, so that made her appealing :D

While I liked "boy books" myself, and am not looking to force "girl books" on my son, I do think there is something to the idea of getting past narrow ideas about what boys (or girls) ought to read just because the gender of the lead character does not match their own. KWIM?

Bill

:blush: Yeah, I need to get out of that his books/ her books box. I think this year will help to get me out of that mind-set with the boys being a bit older (and a bit more settled :glare:) and in more of the school activites/ read alouds

:blush: Yeah, I need to get out of that his books/ her books box. I think this year will help to get me out of that mind-set with the boys being a bit older (and a bit more settled :glare:) and in more of the school activites/ read alouds

Don't worry. I am being pressured by the Hive to read Anne of Green Gables with my boy ;) :D

What's next? I have to read Jane Austin? It is a slippery-slope my friend :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I'll second A-Z Mysteries and Encyclopedia Brown.

Maybe the Adventures of the Bailey School Kids books, or the "Fudge" series by Judy Blume. There's also the "Stink" series (Judy Moody's brother), The Boxcar Children, Wayside School books...

:iagree: May I also add the Clementine books (Clementine, The Talented Clementine, Clementine's Letter, Clementine, Friend of the Week, etc.) My son thought these were hysterical and re-checked them out of the library and reread them many times. He loved this series.

HTH.

At this age, my DS loved Junie B. Jones, Frannie K. Stein, Ramona, Little House etc. He never knew these as "girl" books.

He also enjoyed Geronimo Stilton, Encyclopedia Brown, Magic Tree House, Fudge, Bailey Kids, Boxcar Children, Hardy Boys, and Secret of Droon.

:iagree:

also

A-Z mysteries

any of the Beverly Cleary books (Henry Huggins series...my boys liked Ramona though, too)

Encyclopedia Brown

Nate the Great

At this age, my DS loved Junie B. Jones, Frannie K. Stein, Ramona, Little House etc. He never knew these as "girl" books.

He also enjoyed Geronimo Stilton, Encyclopedia Brown, Magic Tree House, Fudge, Bailey Kids, Boxcar Children, Hardy Boys, and Secret of Droon.

:iagree:

My boys have enjoyed some of the original Hardy Boys series (and I mean literally some of the ones my older brothers read when we were growing up...love it!) and they enjoyed the new Secret Files series written about the young Hardy boys when they were first beginning!

I will add a couple I have not seen on here so far Dinosaur Cove series and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series. I don't think Mrs. Piggle Wiggle are boy specific but my ds loved reading the series.

My ds will read any Geronimo Stilton, A to Z Mysteries, Calendar Mysteries, and Magic Tree House.

You might also look at Capital Mysteries, Ballpark Mysteries, and Andrew Lost.

Horrible Harry

My son (a boy-boy if there ever was one) enjoyed reading several of the Junie B. books.

Bill

My boys both loved Junie B. Jones.

both my boys and my friend's son adored Junie B. Why would it only be for girls? It never occurred to me that some books are only for one gender.

My now third grade boy loved Cam Jansen books then. The main character is a girl.

Ds loved Junie B Jones, Horrible Harry, & Cam Jansen too, Junie being our favorite.

Another favorite series, one that I don't see mentioned much, is the Riverside Kids series by Johanna Hurwitz. Sheesh, I just checked Amazon, and some of these are out of print. IMO, these are some of the best K and early elementary around, well written stories of a family with several children -- boys and girls. If you read the whole series, you can follow the kids from preschool age up to later elementary. These books are worth searching for!

We listened to all the Junie B. books on CD in the car. My boys adored them! Older ds absolutely loved Captain Underpants, but the language leaves a lot to be desired. My boys liked the Geronimo Stilton books, but not as much as The Boxcar Children. They also liked Nate the Great, The Bailey School Kids and Cam Jansen books.

Now that they are slightly older, all they want to read is Star Wars, Beast Quest and 39 Clues books. DH is trying to force ds1 to read Black Beauty, but it's not going so well. :D

I forgot to mention one my youngest son loved: Dinosaur Cove! 39 Clues - somewhat, all Shel Silvertein books, The Berenstein Bears, A to Z Mysteries, and Magic School Bus.

And both of my boys enjoyed this little series about a dragon named Danny and his variety of animal friends. The series is a cute, little, young series called Dragonbreath- his last name. (http://ursulavernon.com/node/8).

Don't worry. I am being pressured by the Hive to read Anne of Green Gables with my boy ;) :D
I'd recommend starting with Story Girl instead of Anne, and not just because it's told from a boy's POV.

What's next? I have to read Jane Austin? It is a slippery-slope my friend :tongue_smilie:
Austin is a city in Texas. :tongue_smilie:

My boys love to read Magic Tree House at that age, and there is a new series out called Imagination Station that are similar, but according to my ds7 are even better than Magic Tree House.

Do you know if these are similar to the Passages series by the same author? Our library doesn't have any of the Imagination Station books, but they did have a bunch of these Passages books.

• 10 years later...

The Danny Dragonbreath Books are really fun/funny.   They do deal with spooky subjects, but I feel like in a not too scary for little kids way (save for maybe the No Such Thing as Ghosts one.  My son was older when he read them but I think younger kids would like them too.  Very funny stuff.