Menu

Links or ideas for active learning games?

MSNative

I posted this in the general forum but the lack of responses leads me to believe I should have posted it here. ;)

I am teaching a pre-k - 2nd grade science class in my co-op. I had planned to do an awesome ongoing lapbook project. However, this is the last class of the day and the kids are pretty burned out by then. I punted last week and did a human solar system and had the revolve and rotate. They loved it. I am looking for other active learning games. I have gotten a few out of a book for teaching kids with ADHD - fish for a question (the fish is an index card with paperclip on it, pole is a stick with magnet on a string), sorting items by "feeding" seals made out of envelopes, etc.

Anyone have any ideas or good site recommendations for me? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

What about fun and easy labs:

1. Create an egg drop pillow (parachute with padding or whatever else they can imagine to keep the egg from breaking when dropped.

2. Criminal Investigations 1: Take everyone's finger prints and compare them.

3. Criminal Investigations 2: Write a "ransom note" for a class mascot, take various pen samples and mark on paper towels, take the paper towels and a sample of the note, hang with edge in some water (we may have mixed vinegar in it too...we did this when I was in jr high) and watch as the water is absorbed. It will separate the colors used in the black ink. You can identify which pen was used to write the note.

4. Orienteering : You can do this inside or outside, it takes some planning but it is so much fun!

5. Make "Oobleck" or slime - 3 parts cornstarch to 1 part water and a little food coloring. If you hit it hard and fast, it acts like a solid. If you pick it up or slowly push on it, it acts more liquid like. It is a lot of fun!

A+ has a fun physics experiments for kids book. I picked it up a Target in the $1 aisle last year, I saw it again this year. Or pick up one of Janice Van Cleaves books. There are some fun experiments in there.

Look at project learning tree or project wild. They are environmental education (not biased I believe, but scientifically sound) that have lots of creative ways to learn concepts (food webs, life cycles, etc) and written for classes (not necessarily schools) so would work in a co-op setting.