Menu

Music resume

Son is a composer writing a music resume. He is also a pianist. He's recorded and had some of his works performed.. He's also taken classical piano for like 11 years. He is hoping to get some kind of job helping a composer out on a project this year.. If he is writing this kind of resume (for composition or scoring), does he need to list classical repertoire played or is this extraneous? I felt it was extraneous but would like other opinions.. Also does he have to have some kind of objective on there.. or can he just profile who he is and what he has done?

thanks.

Performance resumes are typically very different from business resumes. For theatre and dance we do not include an objective. You list performance experience - for theatre we list show, role, director or theatre. Here are a few resume samples for pianists that I found in a quick Google search.

There were many more, these were just from the first page. For a more specialized resume, it would be good to talk to a pianist or two who have been auditioning and applying for jobs.

For theatre and dance we do not include an objective. You list performance experience - for theatre we list show, role, director or theatre.

Yes, I agree, just list performance experience. It's fine to have a list of classical repertoire that he has studied in depth, but I wouldn't include it on a resume unless it's specifically requested.

For my music resume (professional violinist and violin teacher), I include major teachers as well. For a student-level composer, I'd include that too.

Hope this helps,

Tiffany