Menu

Please help-- Algebra 2 for struggling math student

I am considering this text:

Algebra & Trigonometry Functions and Applications, by Paul Foerster, Prentice Hall, Classics Edition

or Abeka Algebra 2, but read that the latter is labeled 'honors'. I am currently looking into whether it can be adapted to be a regular text. Wondering your experience? Advice? PRos and cons?

Thank you!

What I used is far out of print, and it was aimed at mathy students anyway.

I agree with skipping the trigonometry sections -- a student who wants to learn trigonometry should do Foerster's precalculus course which covers them far more thoroughly. I haven't looked at Abeka, but I do like Foerster's books a lot, both for exposition and for relevance of word problems. Also, if you need video lessons mathwithoutborders.com has them. I haven't purchased them, but I liked his samples.

I would absolutely *not* use Foerster with a struggling student. I haven't see Abeka, but I highly recommend Lial's Intermediate Algebra for Algebra II.

I agree that Foerster's is better for a strong math student and Lial's would be more manageable for a struggling math student. No ideas about Abeka.

It is my understanding that the Trig section of Foerster's can be skipped for any student (honors or not) because it is covered in his Pre-Calculus.

Thank you, Kai- I am looking at the Pearson's Lial Intermediate Algebra page right now. They have a "look inside" feature- The text looks very user-friendly. I like what I see!

Thanks, EKS for the heads-up on the Foerester text. That's good to know- I would hate to spend the money and then regret the purchase. Sue, your concurring helps me feel even more confident in EKS's assessment- I am grateful for both your input- thank you! :)

Be aware that Lial's books can sometimes have a hundred problems per set. That was visually overwhelming for my students.

I do think that Lial's are some of the best books out there. Problem sets start really easy and gradually increase in difficulty so it is possible to "understand the concept" without being overwhelmed in difficulty.

There is very very little difference between editions with Lial.

The 8th edition is very reasonable in price-- It is a huge paperback (lies flat and holds up well-- I reinforce covers with clear self-laminating sheets).

Student text is all that is really needed. You can add the DVTs (video lessons) or student solutions manual later if needed. (text has all of the necessary answers the solutions manual offers worked out odd problems).

ISBN 0321279204

I usually purchase from amazon.com or half.com

Look for 'Like-new' or 'very good' condition so writing is not in the text.

Once you have the text the isbns for the other supplements are on the back cover. ALL of the teaching is in the student text (tests, reviews and answers too). The text was written for BLOCK scheduling so allow 2 days for each lesson (assigning just the odds-- skip the 'Relating Concepts' questions).

Assign ALL of the chapter review problems and allow at least 2 days. Tests are one day. Cumulative Reviews are optional-- and should be worked open book.

Again, the student text is all that is needed to begin this program.