Menu

Answering questions about Writing With Skill

My Grade 8 daughter is using WWS1 and I'm impressed with what she is learning. As we have been going through the program I've been wondering if my Grade 10 son wouldn't benefit from going through it as well. He's done most of the Rod & Staff writing assignments from the Grade 3-8 books. He's also done a lot of IEW over the years. He's not a bad writer, but I'm seeing things in WWS that he hasn't covered in such detail. Should he go back and work through WWS at this point? Or should he just move on and continue with persuasive writng? I guess I'm not sure if he really needs to work through WWS or not. What would be a good way to "test him out" on WWS? Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Peace Hill Press will have it by the end of the summer. We have no control over the weird things that Amazon lists as release dates...

Thanks for letting us know this.  I beta tested so I'm not desperate to get it, but I have been telling others about it.  I really hope you will put the first 10 weeks up as the sample like you did for WWS 1.  That sold me.  I would never have bought yet another writing program without that sample.  I have "sold" more than one copy of WWS 1 by word of mouth.  Being able to show them the sample or encourage them to look at it is very influential. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a sample of Writing With Skill Level 2 available?

I emailed Patti to see if I could get a sample of the first few weeks, because we start school next week and I didn't want to wait to get started. She said they will be posting the table of contents and the first ten weeks online prior to publication, but she didn't say when that would be. Kind of a bummer since that throws writing off for us. It is nice that they give such a generous sample though.

Hopefully someone more "in the know" will reply to you. I think people were testing all last year.

I emailed Patti to see if I could get a sample of the first few weeks, because we start school next week and I didn't want to wait to get started. She said they will be posting the table of contents and the first ten weeks online prior to publication, but she didn't say when that would be. Kind of a bummer since that throws writing off for us. It is nice that they give such a generous sample though.

Hopefully someone more "in the know" will reply to you. I think people were testing all last year.

In case you missed it, in this thread today they said this about WWS 2:

1. On Monday, August 5th, we will make available the first TEN WEEKS of the Student and Instructor texts, as a free downloadable PDF (it will also include the Table of Contents and Introduction, so you can get a good idea of where the year's curriculum is going).

Quote:

We will also offer a special discount on the downloadable PDF version of Writing With Skill 2 (student and instructor), which will be available on our store for ten dollars less than the price of the print books, from July 29th until the print books arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

My son used WWS1 last year as a 8th grader and now I would like him to do WWS2 in 9th with WWS3 hopefully in 10th. But with that I'm not quite sure when I should start rhetoric. Should I jump into SWB suggested plan for rhetoric simultaneously or wait till we finish WWS3 in 10th? He's done Logic since 5th following WTM and completed Traditional Logic I. So it seems like it would be natural to start this, but his writing has some gaps that WWS1 addressed beautifully. Should Weston and Kane follow WWS and then wait for a rhetoric credit in our 11/12th years? Or does WWS fall under a English credit and gaining a rhetoric (elective) credit now would be more beneficial?

Thanks,

Tavianna

My son used WWS1 last year as a 8th grader and now I would like him to do WWS2 in 9th with WWS3 hopefully in 10th. But with that I'm not quite sure when I should start rhetoric. Should I jump into SWB suggested plan for rhetoric simultaneously or wait till we finish WWS3 in 10th? He's done Logic since 5th following WTM and completed Traditional Logic I. So it seems like it would be natural to start this, but his writing has some gaps that WWS1 addressed beautifully. Should Weston and Kane follow WWS and then wait for a rhetoric credit in our 11/12th years? Or does WWS fall under a English credit and gaining a rhetoric (elective) credit now would be more beneficial?

Thanks,

Tavianna

I'm curious to this as well........we are taking a break with WWS1 with dd for the 1st half of 8th then she will jump back in it for last part of 8th.  I was hoping to have her complete WWS2 for 9th and so on.  

Go back through this thread carefully, there is a question that directly addresses using WWS with high schoolers, and when and how to incorporate rhetoric.  If I remember correctlly, one option is to use WWS through 10th grade, then use the New Oxford Guide to Writing and/or They Say/I Say for 11th and 12th.  But there is discussion of this very question in this monster thread!

• Like 1

I am hoping to use WWS 3 beta this year with my 10th grader, but I am also going to do a separate rhetoric class.  My son is finishing up logic and then we will move into rhetoric.  I don't have a plan for that yet...just lots of resources to choose between.  

I am hoping to use WWS 3 beta this year with my 10th grader, but I am also going to do a separate rhetoric class.  My son is finishing up logic and then we will move into rhetoric.  I don't have a plan for that yet...just lots of resources to choose between.

Has anyone heard if WWS 3 will be ready for Beta Testing this year?

Has anyone heard if WWS 3 will be ready for Beta Testing this year?

Go back through this thread carefully, there is a question that directly addresses using WWS with high schoolers, and when and how to incorporate rhetoric.  If I remember correctlly, one option is to use WWS through 10th grade, then use the New Oxford Guide to Writing and/or They Say/I Say for 11th and 12th.  But there is discussion of this very question in this monster thread!

Thanks for detailing this Rose!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

"You just can’t cope with another year of Writing With Ease and will run screaming to the 

nearest creative writing program for relief if you have to keep on."

:lol:
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazon is showing an August 11, 2014 release date for WWS 3. That's cutting it close for us. Especially bc I'd like to use the summer to plan as much as possible.  I plan on using this with a small group of homeschoolers.  Any chance you will have the .pdf version earlier?  Or the first few chapters posted as a sample?  

Thank you!

Lisa 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon is showing an August 11, 2014 release date for WWS 3. That's cutting it close for us. Especially bc I'd like to use the summer to plan as much as possible.  I plan on using this with a small group of homeschoolers.  Any chance you will have the .pdf version earlier?  Or the first few chapters posted as a sample?  

Thank you!

Lisa 

Is there any update on whether the first several chapters may be available to get us through to the updated November release date?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say how much I am loving WWS for my 12 year old 6th grade ds!  We are in week 7, and he is really learning to take pride in his work.  It is manageable and also challenging.  I like that the skill development doesn't jump ahead and that there is plenty of substance and hand holding and modeling to help the student get an idea of how their work should look.  I understand the lessons may get more complicated and even frustrating later on in the books, but it really has been a great so far!  I'm excited to watch his skills grow. 

FYI this is a child who hates to write and put pencil to paper, and he grumbles about schoolwork in general.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What is the difference between the research project at the end of WWS 1 and the one at the beginning of WWS2? I'm trying to determine if it would be better to use WWS1 "compacted" in the spring semester for a group of 7th and 8th graders in a co-op class, or if I should go ahead and begin WWS 2 with them, then continue it in the fall.

They've been working in CAP W&Rh and have finished Refutation and Confirmation. Their narration and one level outline skills are good. They use MLA style, but haven't actually done research yet. I think they are solid writers, but they need work on the areas WWS provides vs. what Wr&Rh 6 covers.

Also, what level is the thesis taught in WWS?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am starting Level 1 with my 7th grade son. He has had some IEW, but we have gone slowly, as he is dysgraphic, and the physical act of writing is very difficult. I do let him type or speak as much as I can. That said, I plan to have him take this course over 1.5 years. Any suggestions for how to slow it down but keep the fluidity of the weeks? 

• Like 3

I think it will work itself out as you work through it.  Some of the daily assignments are easy to do in one day, some will clearly benefit by being stretched out to two or more days.  You may decide to add an editing & revision day for some of the assignments. He may need a break once in awhile! I think if you can just play it by ear week to week you will be fine. If I recall correctly, the first 10-ish weeks were pretty straightforward but it ramped up in complexity after that. So that might be the point at which it becomes obvious that slowing down is a good idea.

Thank you! I work well that way, anyways. He needs significant help in spelling (he is asynchronous--brilliant in math and science, but these areas are SO hard for him!), so we will do 5 days a week, and hour a day, of spelling and writing combined, so as not to overwhelm him.  Thanks for the heads up about it ramping up after week 10--that's good to keep in mind. We are good at playing it by ear :0)

Thanks!