Menu

Frustrated with Houghton-Mifflin, and, I just have to vent!

gfengel

I have been searching for a good science curriculum for my 3rd and 5th graders for awhile now. We've tried several different ones (RS4K, Time4Leanring, and R.E.A.L. Science). All were just 'okay.' The kids became bored with all of them and so did I. (And, sadly, I LOVE science.)

So, when I received the new Homeschool.com newsletter detailing Houghton-Mifflin's new Science Fusion program, I was THRILLED. It has an online option where my 3rd and 5th grader could work independently on the computer (which they love to do). They could even do the experiments online!! The demo looked SO cool. But, when I tried to place an order, I was confused, so I called the company only to find out that it ISN'T available to homeschoolers and that they "hoped" to have the online version up and fully running by 2014! WHAT???? :confused: :huh: :banghead: :cursing:

Both of the representatives I spoke with were very nice but didn't seem to know an awful lot about the program because it is so new. Has anyone else heard anything about it? I'm so disappointed because I really thought this was going to be the answer for us.

Edited by gfengel

Just to update my last post...

I emailed the editor of Homeschool.com and received a very prompt reply from a representative at Houghton Mifflin. Science Fusion WILL be available to homeschoolers THIS September. The ordering information has just been a little delayed.

:hurray:

What's the pricing on something like this? Did I miss the link to that?

Also if your kids like online content try Aha Science. There are 30 some modules with 5 sections minimum to each module. Mine love it. I use it for DD's (3rd grade) science but DS (5th grade) likes it too. It's only $15 and could "hold" you over until the H-M program becomes available.

I don't know what the pricing will be yet. When they send me the order info, I'll update you.

I will definitely look into Aha Science though. I have struggled with finding a decent science curriculum for us. We are science-y people and yet we have all gotten bored with the science curricula we've used.

Thank you very much for the info! I'll let you know about the cost of Science Fusion when I find out.

Guest christykny

I'm glad to have come across your post. I, too, am searching for a quality science program for my 5th grader. I was trying out some of the links in the Homeschool Your Child for Free link and liked what I found at www.eduplace.com/search/activity.html. In a round about way of following links and trying to register, I came across Science Fusion. Again, I found myself following links trying to get more information. I'm glad to hear that they will be offering something for homeschoolers soon. Just hope it isn't way out of my budget. Here's some pricing a did come across, but didn't quite know what each item represented (probably not even in the homeschool section). http://www.hmhschool.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=Browse&subcmd=LoadDetail&ID=1007500000079457&frontOrBack=F&level1Code=6&division=S01&sortProductsBy=SEQ

Please, update if you hear more. Thanks!

:):) Thank you for sharing this information. I got the email as well and tried to find out how to purchase it and came to the conclusion it would not be available until some time later. I really liked what I saw and am so excited to know it will be available in Sept. Thank you so much!! :):)

Guest christykny

I had to go digging a little more ;) It seems like a great package and we're running out of time. Thought I'd find out what little bit I found.

One person in the Orders dept who was trying really hard to help even though she wasn't specifically homeschool dept said the product is listed on back-order for the end of this month (which the OP already told us, but at least it meant I was on track). I asked if she could pull up any pkg information or price. Now, again, I can't promise this is correct, but she created a temporary order for the 5th grade pkg and came up with ISBN 978-0547-74658-6. It is described as Student Interactive Worktext and the price is listed as $150.

She then managed to get me directly to the Homeschool support (which the others couldn't seem to do). The number is 1-800-289-4490. He, again, was very nice but couldn't provide much info. He said he remembered receiving an email about the Homeschool Science Fusion. Pulling up the email he found it only said that it should be available mid-August. No pricing or further info available. Best he could suggest was to call back in a week or two (which is beginning of school year :sad: ). I think I may try to hold out.

I don't know what the pricing will be yet. When they send me the order info, I'll update you.

I will definitely look into Aha Science though. I have struggled with finding a decent science curriculum for us. We are science-y people and yet we have all gotten bored with the science curricula we've used.

Thank you very much for the info! I'll let you know about the cost of Science Fusion when I find out.

:lurk5:

I am with you...we just started homeschooling and I have been very disappointed with the science stuff. I bought (then sold) Apologia, Sonlight and a few others. I finally broke down and got the state textbook with the workbook and was pulling other stuff into that. (I have a biology degree and taught ES and HS science.) I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Science Fusion, according to the price sheet I got from the Saxon rep at the curriculum fair, is $150/grade level for the primary grades. Middle school is modules, typically you will do 3-4 modules a year and those are $45 each. BTW, if you search on Scribd there are some EXCELLENT samples from the workbooks.

Also if your kids like online content try Aha Science.

We did! And, they really like it! At $15 per child, that's really hard to beat!

I'm glad to have come across your post. I, too, am searching for a quality science program for my 5th grader.
:lurk5:

I am with you...we just started homeschooling and I have been very disappointed with the science stuff. I bought (then sold) Apologia, Sonlight and a few others. I finally broke down and got the state textbook with the workbook and was pulling other stuff into that. (I have a biology degree and taught ES and HS science.)

I'm SOOOO glad I'm not the only one! :D

I had to go digging a little more ;) It seems like a great package and we're running out of time. Thought I'd find out what little bit I found.

One person in the Orders dept who was trying really hard to help even though she wasn't specifically homeschool dept said the product is listed on back-order for the end of this month (which the OP already told us, but at least it meant I was on track). I asked if she could pull up any pkg information or price. Now, again, I can't promise this is correct, but she created a temporary order for the 5th grade pkg and came up with ISBN 978-0547-74658-6. It is described as Student Interactive Worktext and the price is listed as $150.

She then managed to get me directly to the Homeschool support (which the others couldn't seem to do). The number is 1-800-289-4490. He, again, was very nice but couldn't provide much info. He said he remembered receiving an email about the Homeschool Science Fusion. Pulling up the email he found it only said that it should be available mid-August. No pricing or further info available. Best he could suggest was to call back in a week or two (which is beginning of school year :sad: ). I think I may try to hold out.

Thank you! Your experience was very similar to mine. The two reps I spoke with were very nice and WANTED to be helpful, but they just didn't have the information yet.

Science Fusion, according to the price sheet I got from the Saxon rep at the curriculum fair, is $150/grade level for the primary grades. Middle school is modules, typically you will do 3-4 modules a year and those are $45 each. BTW, if you search on Scribd there are some EXCELLENT samples from the workbooks.

Thank you!! That's very helpful to know what it's going to cost. At this point, my kids are liking the Aha Science, but they have liked everything we've tried out in the beginning! I figure by mid-September they may very well be bored with this and we'll need to switch gears. :lol: