Menu

How do you know if you are an introvert or an extrovert? Can someone be both?

I am very chatty at work. I enjoy my interactions with my co-workers and customers (I work part-time as a pharmacy tech). I talk to people I meet in stores. I talk to people we meet in Canada each year. I enjoy that interaction in small doses.

My real love is being home, either alone, with dh, or with my boys. And I need my space. After work or social situations I need time alone (or with dh) just to chill. I need my downtime....probably much more than I need any social time.

Dh would like to have more couples over for dinner, but to me it's almost grueling after the first hour or two, so we don't do it as often as he'd like. For me, this board is a great place to interact while still having "me" time, if that makes sense.

Is anyone else like this? I feel like an extroverted introvert or an introverted extrovert. I'm both, I think. Hard to figure out.

Is anyone else like this? I feel like an extroverted introvert or an introverted extrovert. I'm both, I think. Hard to figure out.

A very simple explanation is that extroverts draw their energy from being around people and introverts draw their energy from being alone. But very few people are 100% either/or.

Here are a couple of links to tests based on Myers Briggs - first one you need to create an account, the second one, you don't:

http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Edited by KH_

With people I know well, I am comfortable and enjoy talking and being with them. I love a girls night out with friends. However, I do not get to know people easily (usually) and do not enjoy being in groups where I don't know anyone. I also really need time by myself to de-stress. My dream is for DH to take the kids to see his mother's family up in Dallas for the weekend. The house to myself for a few days sounds heavenly! (in my defense, I've taken the kids out of town without DH for as long as a week before, so I'm just asking him to return the favor)

I consider myself an introvert.

I know that when I've taken Myers-Briggs type tests in the past, I always come out an ENFP and a very slightly expressed extrovert. I took one of the ones linked to to check, and the strength of my preference for extroversion was just 1%. So, according to the test I'm almost right in the middle of the extrovert-introvert spectrum, which is about where I'd place myself, too.

For me, I find that I really enjoy being at home or alone, and that's usually my preference, but if I don't get a sufficient amount of social interaction, I start to lose it.

Edited by twoforjoy

People I see often are usually surprised when I say I am an introvert, because I do enjoy talking to others and like my social time. People who know me really well know that I am indeed an introvert, because I definitely need down time to recharge. I love being around others, but I feel drained and tired after an extended amount of time.

When I take tests, I consistently score as an introvert, but close to the line between introverted and extroverted.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
Pretty sure "instroverted" isn't a word.

The Myers-Briggs test posted above is interesting because it gives percentages. I've taken it a few times over the years and always test about 50/50 in the extroverted/introverted category. Social activities often exhaust me, but if I don't get out enough I get tired and depressed. I need a good balance of both.

If you have time, take the test. It helped me understand my strengths and weaknesses better.

According to a survey thing I've taken, I'm borderline.

But the way you describe it, yes I'm just like you. I border slightly to the introvert side. DH borders slightly more to the extrovert side.

It was cute one time we had lots of people over and friends looked at him and asked "Can you just turn it on and off at will?" They are introverts and didn't understand him. OH and all these extra people left after about 2 hours. :001_smile:

The time it really came out for me on the introvert side was when we went to the beach for a week with very good friends. At the beginning of the week I was out doing everything with the group, in group space. But by Thursday, dh told me to stop spending so much time by myself in our room. I didn't even notice I'd been retreating.