Menu

IEW Experts...

LunaLee

If ds is already outlining and summarizing in the traditional way, would allowing him to continue doing so (instead of the KWO/Summarizing) hinder him or make learning the other units more difficult? Basically I am thinking of just skipping units 1 & 2.

Edited by LunaLee

I wouldn't. The kwo is different that the traditional outline used to structure a piece of writing.

The wo has to do with taking a source work, a paragraph, and learning how to hold the substance in your head and spin it using your own words without missing the important facts. In essence, the student is learning new writing tools while rewriting existing work. It will pass.

I disagree with Jim.

The KWO outline is the first basic step and isnt used again once you start outlining from longer and multiple sources, which it sounds like your child will soon be doing if he is already able and familiar with the outline process.

The KWO is used for very short pieces. The nxt step comes in unit 4 IIRC (?)where you begin outlining longer pieces and you do not KWO those.

Exactly! Because it's the first basic step I see it as foundational. And, because it will disappear in later lessons there is little harm done following the program as written.

It might just be me. But I tend to use material as the author intended. It might come from my ds experience in ps. His school was willing to try new approaches which we saw as a positive. They adopted a reading program called Jack and Jilly. It contained reading comprehension, phonics, and lists of sight words.

Wew were happy to see phonics in there. The dissappointment came in the implementation. The school skipped reading comprehension and phoincs and complete two lists of site words.

The program consisted of approximately a dozen pages a week. It was a 36-week program. They completed two pages a week and ds finished the program by late October in both K and first.

Can the school honestly say they have implemented the Jack and Jilly program? Thedy say they have. I believe the author would disagree.

The KWO has a purpose. First, helping them hold ideas and themes in their heads. They come back on day two and retell the information in their own words using the outline (memory work). Also, it's a notetaking lesson. It would work far better than the traditional outline methods.

Just my to cents.

Jim

I'm not an expert but I just wanted to add that using a KWO is a much faster than a traditional outline. The purpose, in my opinion, is to learn a minimalist approach to remembering larger pieces of information. I can make a KWO for a 10 sentence paragraph much faster than I can make a traditional outline. The KWO is going to prevent me from having to, at that point, try to reword the information into my own words or try to consolidate information into shorter phrases.

I'm not an expert but I just wanted to add that using a KWO is a much faster than a traditional outline. The purpose, in my opinion, is to learn a minimalist approach to remembering larger pieces of information. I can make a KWO for a 10 sentence paragraph much faster than I can make a traditional outline. The KWO is going to prevent me from having to, at that point, try to reword the information into my own words or try to consolidate information into shorter phrases.

What she said.