Menu

Can you talk me out of it?

I teach PT at a charter school near my house. I love this school! They do things so differently, they really know the kids, all the teachers are great and passionate about their subjects, they do interdisciplinary units and have guest speakers and take field trips and have an awesome art program. It's in a beautiful building with lots of outdoor space.

I found out yesterday that they plan to add an elementary school, most likely year after next. My youngest will be K age then. I would have priority as a teacher. It's free.

You see where this is going? I could put all my dc, except possibly my high schooler, in the school in 2 years. My high schooler and I could finish out her high school with actual time to do her schoolwork in the morning. Or, I could put her in the school if they would accept her credits (which I think they will, especially if we do her schoolwork towards that end) and then have the mornings to myself (I could write or clean or organize or whatever I wanted!) and then go teach and pick them up. Or, my job could become FT and then I would just be there all day.

The last few years have been hard. I've been stretched thin. I am burned out and tired and when she said they were opening an elementary school I almost felt like I had been let out of jail. My children and I would all still be at the same place, learning the same things, but I would be paid. We would have all the same days off, summers to do whatever we wanted...

I mean, am I missing something here? Is there any reason not to do this???? My dh was surprised when I told him last night - "You mean we wouldn't be homeschooling anymore?!" but didn't seem against it. And honestly, I'm the one doing all the homeschooling anyway.

People homeschool for different reasons. Some people wouldn't bat an eye at such an opportunity. But if it works for you, then do it. Honestly, if I had an opportunity for a school that I knew would be great for my children, I'd go for it. As it is, I'm homeschooling my ds15 all the way through because he wouldn't do well in a regular school. The only school I could find that would be perfect for him is $18,000 per year. That's so not possible that it's laughable. Dd13 might end up in public high school at some point. We'll see.

So far nobody's said anything to talk me out of it... :lol:

Honestly, the biggest thing would be this constant guilt I feel of never doing enough and not getting to everything would just be gone. And we'd still have time to do the fun stuff, which we never get to now. Or hardly ever. And I could stop being a K-12 generalist and just focus on being a good language teacher...do you know how awesome that sounds?!

I would say if you have such a great school and have the opportunity. Then do it. I wouldn't see why not,.

Its always hard for people to adjust to new things though. So give that part time.

If it sounds like what you want and it will work for you . Then go for it.

So far nobody's said anything to talk me out of it... :lol:

Sorry, I was sort of dreaming for myself. :tongue_smilie: After 10 years of homeschooling, I'm at a place where I'm no longer enthusiastic about school. I don't want to hijack your thread with my ramblings and vents. I have just been thinking about this type of thing so seriously for the past couple of weeks so when I saw your post, I thought Go For It! :D

Honestly, it all depends on *why* you are homeschooling. For our family, I would not put them into school. It's based on the reasons why I'm homeschooling.

Yeah, I used to be like that...I remember saying that if a fabulous free school were built next door, I still wouldn't send my dc. Life changes. Every single one of my 6 dc at home has some sort of issue. I'm tired. We can't continue to live on one income only. So, yeah. At this point in my homeschooling career, I'm homeschooling because there was no better option. I no longer have an ideological commitment to it. So if there's a better option, well...

Yeah, I used to be like that...I remember saying that if a fabulous free school were built next door, I still wouldn't send my dc. Life changes. Every single one of my 6 dc at home has some sort of issue. I'm tired. We can't continue to live on one income only. So, yeah. At this point in my homeschooling career, I'm homeschooling because there was no better option. I no longer have an ideological commitment to it. So if there's a better option, well...

I am in the exact same boat as you. I also used to have the same idealistic ideology as the previous poster, only now I am older (much older) and very tired and my idealogies have gone a bit by the wayside and moved more into "survival mode". We sure could use a second income since we have been living and "just getting by" on only one for many, many years. I too have 6 kids and if the "right opportunity" fell into my lap, I would indeed jump on it !

I think you should definitely do it !

It sounds like a dream come true !!

If this arrangement would suit your needs better than homeschooling would, then why on earth not do it?

I'm sort of in the same situation. My husband got a job teaching in a tiny village school where each child gets a personalized education. I can hand pick my son's curricula, and he can do science experiments and other activities with the other kids. And it's all free! I will probably get hired as the school secretary, so I will be there to assist as needed (and dh will be teaching him half the day anyway). It's such a rare chance to blend the best of homeschooling and public schooling!

It sounds like a great opportunity. I know that if I had the chance right now to earn extra income and know that the kids were getting a good education with me nearby that I would take it. Financial realities and burn-out sure can make other options look pretty good. Sometimes I feel that I am so burnt out in just planning our schooling that I never have the time and energy to do anything fun. Craft projects, baking, and simply hanging out went by the wayside a long time ago for us and I know it has to do with homeschooling.

Lesley

Yeah, me too.;) If I had your opportunity, I would take it. But, you already knew that.;)

Idealistically, we would homeschool forever. We may still. I am not convinced anymore (as I was when mine were younger and there were fewer of them) that homeschooling is the only way. It is a much better option than any others I have at the time.

Not much point praying if you ignore the answer when it shows up, is there?

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I'm not sure what you're saying...are you saying that the school opportunity could be the answer to my prayers about how to make our homeschooling work better?

I don't think I would do it, though I might be seriously tempted by it.

One of the compelling reasons for me not to do it is that my boys go to a ps enrichment program 1 day a week, so we get the ps experience (of getting up, washed, dressed, fed, backpacks, signed papers, lunches, water bottles, library books, coming home, unpacking, exhausted, hungry) once a week. It is the worst day of the week for me. I'm rushing them in the morning, and when they get home they are tired and cranky and hungry. By the time everything is unpacked and put away, it's time to start dinner. And they don't ever have homework to deal with--I can't imagine dealing with that daily. I will admit the 5 or so hours of quiet is nice, but it is kind of destroyed on either side.

I'm exhausted and trying to recover from the most difficult year of my life, but I still feel as though I'm supposed to be homeschooling. I still think we'll be doing this through until the end, but I do know that this could change. If this has changed for you, then absolutely consider the school option.

I don't think I would do it, though I might be seriously tempted by it.

One of the compelling reasons for me not to do it is that my boys go to a ps enrichment program 1 day a week, so we get the ps experience (of getting up, washed, dressed, fed, backpacks, signed papers, lunches, water bottles, library books, coming home, unpacking, exhausted, hungry) once a week. It is the worst day of the week for me. I'm rushing them in the morning, and when they get home they are tired and cranky and hungry. By the time everything is unpacked and put away, it's time to start dinner. And they don't ever have homework to deal with--I can't imagine dealing with that daily. I will admit the 5 or so hours of quiet is nice, but it is kind of destroyed on either side.

I'm exhausted and trying to recover from the most difficult year of my life, but I still feel as though I'm supposed to be homeschooling. I still think we'll be doing this through until the end, but I do know that this could change. If this has changed for you, then absolutely consider the school option.

There is something to this. Mornings were never an issue for me, really, when mine went to ps. However, the afternoon/evening rush was pretty difficult. I was having to not only do homework, though, but also teach math to my 10yo. The 8 and 10yo boys couldn't read, so I had to do all their reading and writing for them.:001_huh: That is actually one of the reasons I went back to homeschooling (the hours in the afternoon/evening teaching them.)

Those who can read/write on their own can do their own homework without you, though. At least they should be able to!:tongue_smilie: The crazy mornings/evenings would be harder one day a week than 5 - you develop a routine and it levels out.

The one good thing about most homeschooling/school decisions is that you can change your mind later. Say you put them in school and then they don't thrive - you can take them out again! Options are good.;) Feeling that you have no options with a less than good situation is much, much worse.

:grouphug:

Some things to consider...

Who will the elementary teachers be? I've been an elementary teacher and have seen a HUGE range. I've been in great schools with lousy teachers and poor schools with a few fabulous teachers. If I could build my own school and HAND-PICK the best teachers for each grade who shared my philosophy, I'd enroll.

Also, it can be difficult and possibly stressful to be both a parent and collegue (sp?) at the same time. If you have personality or other issues with one of the teachers will there be another teacher you can request for your child?

I don't mean to rain on your party, b/c it sounds like this might truly be best for you and your family, just wanted to give you my 2cents from dealing with similar issues.:grouphug:

Re: Homework

this school has a built in time at the end of the day to get extra help/do homework. It does not pile on homework like some schools either. I'm sure I'd have to spend some time helping them, of course.

Re: Morning Rush

We did a week this summer when 5 of them went to summer camps the same week. You have to get organized and have everything ready to go. We actually ended up being early to our camps some days because we were all ready. We would not have to leave our house before 8 am either, not like the public school bus which picks kids up at the crack of dawn LOL.

Re: being a parent and a colleague

this is one thing I was thinking about already - if it didn't work out, it could impact my job, although possibly not

re: quality of teachers

this could be an issue, as there would be only one class at each level. The elementary school would combine K/1, 2/3, 4/5, which I actually prefer greatly than new teachers each year. Most of the teachers at this school are excellent - if they aren't excellent, they do not stay. I don't anticipate the elementary school being any different.

All valid concerns, but not enough to really make me think twice, I don't think. Thanks!

People homeschool for different reasons. Some people wouldn't bat an eye at such an opportunity. But if it works for you, then do it. Honestly, if I had an opportunity for a school that I knew would be great for my children, I'd go for it. As it is, I'm homeschooling my ds15 all the way through because he wouldn't do well in a regular school. The only school I could find that would be perfect for him is $18,000 per year.

:iagree: If the shoe fits. Even with the 22K a year school, I'm betting kiddo would be ahead and bored in some, and behind and near tears in other subjects. At this point we wouldn't fit a shoe.

I'd definitely give it a try. Who knows, in two years you could get a second wind for homeschooling, and decide not to.

Our situation is that one big reason for HSing, is that we want DS to have plenty of time to study music, so if a music conservatory opened up in our area, we would be the first in line. :001_smile:

(We also have food allergies and other things going on, so it would have to be awesome. My point is, I'd definitely try a school that seemed perfect!)

:iagree: If the shoe fits. Even with the 22K a year school, I'm betting kiddo would be ahead and bored in some, and behind and near tears in other subjects. At this point we wouldn't fit a shoe.

Sometimes you also have to look at it like this: is it better to have a poor fitting shoe or no shoe at all?;) Some would say no shoe, others would say the ill fitting shoe - it depends on your priorities. Sometimes you just have to deal with a less than ideal shoe because you're walking on sharp rocks.;) How's that for a crazy metaphor?:tongue_smilie:

My oldest pointed out to me that my ideology has always been an individualized education for all of my dc. At this point, I'm not really able to create that for all my dc in the way that I want, and this school does individualize to a much greater extent than other schools do, plus there are amazing resources there that I cannot provide or outsource because of time and money constraints. this school is really good with children who have special needs as well.

To make your lives work better.

Rosie

Thanks for clarifying!

Yeah, kind of like that story about God sending a boat and a helicopter to save the guy on his roof from a flood, and he says that God will save him, and then after he drowns, he asks God, "Why didn't you save me?" and God answers, "Well, I sent you a boat and a helicopter? What more do you want?!"

Yeah, kind of like that story about God sending a boat and a helicopter to save the guy on his roof from a flood, and he says that God will save him, and then after he drowns, he asks God, "Why didn't you save me?" and God answers, "Well, I sent you a boat and a helicopter? What more do you want?!"

That's the story I had in mind, but I thought there were two boats. :tongue_smilie:

That's the story I had in mind, but I thought there were two boats. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I knew there was something else! Just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks so much - you are making me feel better about this whole thing. Homeschooling has been a basic part of my identity since 1997 and it's hard to think of giving that up entirely.