Menu

Translations

I think that it is in WEM that Susan takes a passage from three popular translations of the Iliad or the Odyssey so that readers can compare them. It seems that certain translations tend to resonate more with some individuals than others.

If you have the time or opportunity, I would try a similar approach with your student. Hand him (or her) several translations from the library or at your local Barnes and Noble. See what your student likes.

I'd look first at Project Gutenberg. Kindle's Mobi versions don't cost much and usually have navigation features not found in many of the free books. One Kindle title you might look for is Mythology Ultimate Collection edited by Darryl Marks. It's published by Everlasting Flames Publishing. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't much. It has multiple translations by Cowper, Pope, Butler, the Earl of Derby and maybe a couple more that I don't remember.

Elizabeth Vandiver uses Lattimore's translations in her Teaching Company lectures. Fitzgerald is our favorite, though.

One Kindle title you might look for is Mythology Ultimate Collection edited by Darryl Marks. It's published by Everlasting Flames Publishing. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't much. .

2.99:)

I like the suggestion of letting DS look at the translations himself. I am heading into uncharted (for me) territory. LA is not my strength :blushing:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!

Elizabeth Vandiver uses Lattimore's translations in her Teaching Company lectures. Fitzgerald is our favorite, though.

We've been using her lectures while using other translations of the books. Actually, we've been listening to the Iliad and Odyssey on CD (Fagles) while following along in print, and the print version I'm using is whatever I can easily find and navigate for free. I sort of like having all of the various translations going at once -- I think it's interesting. And using her lectures with a different translation hasn't been a problem -- she reads passages aloud. In at least one instance she discusses how different translators have to decide how to handle a passage (Poseidon destroying the Phaiakians for helping Odysseus).

Of course, it might bother some to hear one thing and read something different, but I find it keeps me on my toes and gives me lots to think about. And sometimes helps keep me awake, to be brutally honest (we tend to listen to this stuff after lunch, zzzzzz).

I concur with letting your student look at a couple of translations if possible. I've been reading reformation area theologians and translation is super important. But I also found reading Homer's works with a better translator was really helpful.

We use Tapestry of Grace and they use the Norton Anthology of Western Lit which if you buy new and the current edition will not be a cheap choice, but if you can find a used earlier version that might work and be cheap, too. Anyway, I've really liked their translations, they've been lively and readable.

We are starting ancients this year and I am wondering about picking translations.

Money is an issue so if I can find something at the library it would be easier. We have a kindle. Are there good translations online in the public domain?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

We are reading Fagles' Iliad right now, which both my dd and I love. Also, while we read we're listening to an audio recording of Derek Jacobi reading Fagles translation. He's incredible! Really brings the book and characters alive. Check your library - they might have both the book & audio. Delightful!

We've been using her lectures while using other translations of the books. Actually, we've been listening to the Iliad and Odyssey on CD (Fagles) while following along in print, and the print version I'm using is whatever I can easily find and navigate for free. I sort of like having all of the various translations going at once -- I think it's interesting. And using her lectures with a different translation hasn't been a problem -- she reads passages aloud. In at least one instance she discusses how different translators have to decide how to handle a passage (Poseidon destroying the Phaiakians for helping Odysseus).

Of course, it might bother some to hear one thing and read something different, but I find it keeps me on my toes and gives me lots to think about. And sometimes helps keep me awake, to be brutally honest (we tend to listen to this stuff after lunch, zzzzzz).

LOL, that has happened to us. Listening after lunch is convenient, but it's so easy to nod off. My son's experience in college has been that instructors encourage students to use a variety of translations because it adds to the discussion. It's been so long that I've forgotten, but I think I remember Prof. Vandiver saying something about not feeling tied to using Lattimore just because that's her primary translation.

Another benefit of comparing different translations is that it carries over into studies of rhetoric if you're doing that. Nothing illustrates the mutability of style better than comparing older translations to newer ones--and that's even more true if you can find reviews of what people value in different translations. Along that same rabbit trail, Hugh Blair's lectures on rhetoric are in the public domain. I especially enjoy comparing his discussion of style to contemporary ideas to see what's changed over time.

• 5 months later...

I know his is an older thread, but I went searching. :)

I prefer Fagles, but dd says she understands Fitzgerald better. My oldest says he prefers Lattimore; he thinks it's more passionate. I really don't know if I have it in me to drive myself so crazy. I like Fagles.

Anyone doing The Iliad right now? Commiserate?

Edited by LibraryLover

Anyone doing The Illiad right now? Commiserate?

I think perhaps ANY translation of the Iliad would drive me crazy. It was like watching the G.I. Joe movie (which is just a bunch of testosterone splashed across the movie screen). Dd concurs.

I know his is an older thread, but I went searching. :) My youngest (close to age 13) & I are currently listening to the Fiztgerald transaltion of The Illiad while reading the Fagles transaltion. It's driving me bonkers. I am going to have to purchase another book or another audio. I think.

I prefer Fagles, but dd says she understands Fitzgerald better. My oldest says he prefers Lattimore; he thinks it's more passionate. I really don't know if I have it in me to drive myself so crazy. I like Fagles.

Anyone doing The Illiad right now? Commiserate?

I picked the Lattimore version of The Iliad. I adored the language, it is passionate and poetic. For the Odyssey I had chosen another one, Fitzgerald maybe? I had bought it a thrift store. I hated it. I ordered Lattimore and loved it. I never would have thought I'd be a translation "snob", but I am. I prefer Lattimore if he is the choice, he is where I get the "Generation of Leaves" title for my blog. We'll be using his translation of Greek Tragedies as well.

I used Fagles for The Aeneid and it was good as well. Sadly Lattimore stuck with the Greeks.

I picked the Lattimore version of The Iliad. I adored the language, it is passionate and poetic. For the Odyssey I had chosen another one, Fitzgerald maybe? I had bought it a thrift store. I hated it. I ordered Lattimore and loved it. I never would have thought I'd be a translation "snob", but I am. I prefer Lattimore if he is the choice, he is where I get the "Generation of Leaves" title for my blog. We'll be using his translation of Greek Tragedies as well.

I used Fagles for The Aeneid and it was good as well. Sadly Lattimore stuck with the Greeks.

Ok. I don't known even know why I tried to veer from the past.

WTM = Way To (spend) Money. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Ok. I don't known even know why I tried to veer from the past. We used Lattimore with my oldest dd, but she never enjoyed it. I thought to try something different with the youngest. I recently texted with my DS who once again pushed Lattimore. Now this. ;) Dang.

WTM = Way To (spend) Money. ;)

I think I ended up with 3 copies of The Odyssey. Can you have too many copies of Homer? ;):tongue_smilie:

I concur with letting your student look at a couple of translations if possible. I've been reading reformation area theologians and translation is super important. But I also found reading Homer's works with a better translator was really helpful.

We use Tapestry of Grace and they use the Norton Anthology of Western Lit which if you buy new and the current edition will not be a cheap choice, but if you can find a used earlier version that might work and be cheap, too. Anyway, I've really liked their translations, they've been lively and readable.

I've had good luck finding Norton Anthologies for <$5 at library booksales and used book stores.

You might also check out Paperback Swap for things like Signet or Penguin Classic editions. Even some Norton Critical editions, that include related essays (which are of mixed value).

In one of the last chapters of Victor Davis Hanson's Who Killed Homer? he lists a bunch of recommended editions of Greek and Roman essential works. (Unfortunately, my copy hasn't surfaced after the last move).

ETA: I found some of the Hanson (and Heath) chapter on Google Books. The list of recommended classics starts on page 260.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I think I ended up with 3 copies of The Odyssey. Can you have too many copies of Homer? ;):tongue_smilie:

Well I don't think so; only my shelf space limits me. My Fitzpatrick translation got nasty with mildew while in storage. Now I have a great excuse to read Fagles instead. (I don't think there's anything wrong with Fitzpatrick; it was the standard when I was in school. But after four reads, I'm looking forward to an alternative.)

I carefully chose the Lattimore translation of the Iliad, and I absolutely fell in love with it the further I read, but... my sons HATED it. So I had them read samples of several good translations, and they chose Fagles. I bought it for the Kindle app on our iPad. I'm not sure they loved it, but they -- especially my then 15yo son -- found it much more tolerable.

Now we're about to start both the Odyssey (with both boys) and Beowulf (with the now 16yo only, not the 12yo). We're using the Fagles for the Odyssey, and I'm tentatively excited -- hard to predict my sons' reactions -- that our library has the audiobook read by Sir Ian McKellen, too.

Beowulf, on the other hand, seems as though it'll be more challenging. I'm hoping both boys will enjoy an atmospheric introduction at night, with candles, listening to a good audio recording.

Good luck!

While we were reading The Iliad, a sailing gear catalogue with pirate teeshirts arrived. They were so apropos that I cut them out and glued them to the inside cover of my book. "The beating will continue until moral improves" "When in doubt, rape and pillage" etc. Definately a boy book. Not that I didn't enjoy much of it... it just got a bit wearisome in the middle. I liked The Odyssey much better. I can see how it might be considered more of an adventure story and less a great work of literature, but I liked it better.

Nan

While we were reading The Iliad, a sailing gear catalogue with pirate teeshirts arrived. They were so apropos that I cut them out and glued them to the inside cover of my book. "The beating will continue until moral improves" "When in doubt, rape and pillage" etc. Definately a boy book. Not that I didn't enjoy much of it... it just got a bit wearisome in the middle. I liked The Odyssey much better. I can see how it might be considered more of an adventure story and less a great work of literature, but I liked it better.

Nan

I think the Odyssey is better. The Iliad is about the glories of war and 'honorable' death. If it wasn't a poem, it would be all gore, all the time. I am trying to speed through it.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't know. Mine liked the Odyssey better. At the end of The Iliad, they decided the Odysseus was the only character whom they respected from a purely personal, modern point of view. Taken within the context of the book, there were others. Of course, growing up listening to Oddsbodkin's Odyssey might have something to do with that. It is hard to tell LOL. And mine thought the sailing descriptions in The Odyssey very beautiful. If we weren't a boat/ocean oriented family, The Odyssey might not have struck such a chord, either.

Nan

I don't know. Mine liked the Odyssey better. At the end of The Iliad, they decided the Odysseus was the only character whom they respected from a purely personal, modern point of view. Taken within the context of the book, there were others. Of course, growing up listening to Oddsbodkin's Odyssey might have something to do with that. It is hard to tell LOL. And mine thought the sailing descriptions in The Odyssey very beautiful. If we weren't a boat/ocean oriented family, The Odyssey might not have struck such a chord, either.

Nan

Odds Bodkin is a favorite here!