Menu

For those who have put their child/ren either into or back into public school

after homeschooling, what changes, good and/or bad, have you noticed? Would you do it again?

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed. It's been a while since I've visited the boards.

For those who don't know me, I have 4 dc and started homeschooling when my oldest was 10 and my twins were 7. They'd been in public school, and I'd been wanting to homeschool for a while. Fast forward 6 years and we agreed with our oldest to put her back in public school for her junior year. It was a bumpy ride, but a lot of it had to do with her focus and decision-making skills and not public school or the teachers.

The following year we agreed with our twins to put them back in public school for their freshman year and with our oldest to continue with public school for her senior year. I've found it very interesting to see how differently each of my dc have handled public school. I've been disappointed with some things but pleased with others. I've especially enjoyed watching them handle themselves with their new challenges and experiences. Well, usually, I have. ;)

This year is full of changes yet again as we've moved to another state, my oldest has started college, my twins are attending a new public school, and I'm still homeschooling my youngest. It's a bit of a juggle trying to adjust my outlook on the three different styles of education for my dc.

I've noticed a difference in the way I homeschool my youngest as well. When I started homeschooling my older three, I think I overdid it and pushed them too hard. I've watched the effects of that play out as they transitioned to public school. Some good, some not so good. And as they attended public school the past couple of years, I adjusted my overall plan in homeschooling my youngest.

So, as the new school year approaches (or has already begun for some), I've been wondering about others' experiences with reintegration into public school and how that's affected you and your dc's opinions on homeschooling, public school, college, family, etc.

I'm very grateful for having homeschooled my older 3 dc and am glad I can still homeschool my youngest. I was very sad and felt like I'd failed somehow when my older 3 first went back to public school. Now I'm not as sad and can see how beneficial homeschooling was for them and for our family. But I can also see the good things that have come out of their going back to public school. I'm glad we waited until they were older and more cognizant of their behavior and their future goals. Of course, there are some things I regret about their returning to public school. And I'll be curious to see how this year goes.

Enough about me, what about you?

Edited by Apiphobic

I put my two daughters back in public school after 9 years of homeschooling. My oldest went in as a sophomore, and my youngest as an 8th grader.

For us it was a good choice, and the right time to do it. There is a huge learning curve there that I felt was better experienced now than in college, when so much else is also new.

It also opened up a LOT more experiences for them than I was able to provide. It was easier when they were younger to find classes and group activities, but once they hit the teen years it got harder.

My oldest daughter is a member of the National Honor scoiety, secretary of the History and Politics club, president of the Community Outreach club, a member of the Drama Club, a member of the Jazz Band, plays varsity volleyball, and is the president and one of lead attorneys in the Mock Trial class. When she graduates this year she will have completed 7 AP classes. I could not find or provide all those activities and opportunites for her.

There are downsides, of course. Learning looks A LOT different. There is more of a feel of "what do I need to do for a good grade?" vs. doing it for the love of learning. Learning is more schedule and necessity driven. But that is what college will be like, so again, I am glad that learning curve is happening now.

Their social life has widened, which has been both good and bad. There is more drama, for sure. Gossipy girls, boys who are knuckleheads, liars, cheaters...... they are all there. But so aren't proms and bonfires at the beach and the general "hanging out" with 25 of your closest friends (haha) that make for some fun teenage memories.

It took me a long time to redefine myself. I really really enjoyed homeschooling. But now we are all on to the next chapter in life.

Every family is different, but for us it was a good choice. It was just the right time and the right decision. But I do miss homeschooling.

P.S. - the one comment that bugged me the most about putting the girls back into school? "Oh, I think that will be so great for all of you. Now when you all come home at night you will have stuff to talk about vs. being together all day and running out of things to say to each other." WHAT? We never ran out of stuff to talk about. The girls used to climb into bed with me at night and we would all read and continue chatting away..... never even dawned on us that we might "run out of things to talk about"!

Hello, Stacy. It's been a long time! I remember you well as Linksalot. :)

This fall marks the 3 and a half year point since we put our four youngest in public school. At the time they had only been homeschooled (we homeschooled their elder siblings, twins, all the way through) and were in grades 5, 6, 8, and 10. It was Feb. when we put them in school that year and they did fine.

This year the three youngest will be in high school (grades 9, 10, and 12). The 9th grader was accepted at the new science/math magnet high school, which should be interesting (this is the first year, and the school will only have 9th and 10th graders this year). The other two will be in the regular high school.

Overall I've been pleased with our decision and the boys' growth. They have a lot of friends, they complain about school (as they also did about homeschool, lol) but get very good grades, and I feel that they have more opportunities for advanced classes than they did at home. We have a good district; that helps me with any residual guilt. :)

Homeschooling was fantastic for us. We did it 16 years or so, and I loved it. When it was time to move on, we all knew it, and we all adjusted. I miss homeschooling, but really what I miss is the elementary years. Those were by far my favorite.

I work part-time now. The boys are growing up and are much more independent in their schoolwork than when we homeschooled (ie, I'm no longer the overseer!). They had a strong foundation and it has served them well. We are all different, but that closeness we have, forged from those years of homeschooling, will never change.

Homeschooling was fantastic for us. We did it 16 years or so, and I loved it. When it was time to move on, we all knew it, and we all adjusted. I miss homeschooling, but really what I miss is the elementary years. Those were by far my favorite.

I work part-time now. The boys are growing up and are much more independent in their schoolwork than when we homeschooled (ie, I'm no longer the overseer!). They had a strong foundation and it has served them well. We are all different, but that closeness we have, forged from those years of homeschooling, will never change.

:iagree:

Hey lady! :D

After eight years at home, Mac went off to a charter/ duel magnet high school, last year. I would say it was a big adjustment, but in an odd way. She was really stressed with time management in the first semester, adjusting to short classes and lots more work. She also disliked how the teachers talked to the students, but also saw why.

I would say, all in all, that it's been a positive experience. By the end of the year she could juggle multiple test, rehearsals (she's in the performing arts program), and term papers with ease. She's learned more about the rules of the game (life) and how to problem solve, than just facts. She's also grown-up a bunch, more confident, though a bit more melancholy. I think she sees just how hard the outside world is on all of us, and now understands the rat race.

My feelings about the educational system in the US has not changed. I think it's crap (both public & private). I hate the age/grade system. I hate that not all kids get to follow their interests, abilities, nor have any flexibility. I hate the teacher/student dynamic, and how stress everyone is. I'm not totally in love with homeschooling either. Nothing we have is really amazing, really helping kids to reach their full potential, and I doubt this will change in my lifetime. Seeing the US truly value education seems some days to be a pipe dream.

after homeschooling, what changes, good and/or bad, have you noticed? Would you do it again?

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed. It's been a while since I've visited the boards.

For those who don't know me, I have 4 dc and started homeschooling when my oldest was 10 and my twins were 7. They'd been in public school, and I'd been wanting to homeschool for a while. Fast forward 6 years and we agreed with our oldest to put her back in public school for her junior year. It was a bumpy ride, but a lot of it had to do with her focus and decision-making skills and not public school or the teachers.

The following year we agreed with our twins to put them back in public school for their freshman year and with our oldest to continue with public school for her senior year. I've found it very interesting to see how differently each of my dc have handled public school. I've been disappointed with some things but pleased with others. I've especially enjoyed watching them handle themselves with their new challenges and experiences. Well, usually, I have. ;)

This year is full of changes yet again as we've moved to another state, my oldest has started college, my twins are attending a new public school, and I'm still homeschooling my youngest. It's a bit of a juggle trying to adjust my outlook on the three different styles of education for my dc.

I've noticed a difference in the way I homeschool my youngest as well. When I started homeschooling my older three, I think I overdid it and pushed them too hard. I've watched the effects of that play out as they transitioned to public school. Some good, some not so good. And as they attended public school the past couple of years, I adjusted my overall plan in homeschooling my youngest.

So, as the new school year approaches (or has already begun for some), I've been wondering about others' experiences with reintegration into public school and how that's affected you and your dc's opinions on homeschooling, public school, college, family, etc.

I'm very grateful for having homeschooled my older 3 dc and am glad I can still homeschool my youngest. I was very sad and felt like I'd failed somehow when my older 3 first went back to public school. Now I'm not as sad and can see how beneficial homeschooling was for them and for our family. But I can also see the good things that have come out of their going back to public school. I'm glad we waited until they were older and more cognizant of their behavior and their future goals. Of course, there are some things I regret about their returning to public school. And I'll be curious to see how this year goes.

Enough about me, what about you?

I'll read your post now, but first I wanted to say, "Howdy, I missed you." :seeya:

Hello stranger! You've been missed around here.

I can't help other than with *bump*. :001_smile:

Thank you, nmoira. I was going to let this die a quiet death until I heard a mysterious bump in the night. :D

I put my two daughters back in public school after 9 years of homeschooling. My oldest went in as a sophomore' date=' and my youngest as an 8th grader.

For us it was a good choice, and the right time to do it. There is a huge learning curve there that I felt was better experienced now than in college, when so much else is also new.

It also opened up a LOT more experiences for them than I was able to provide. It was easier when they were younger to find classes and group activities, but once they hit the teen years it got harder.

My oldest daughter is a member of the National Honor scoiety, secretary of the History and Politics club, president of the Community Outreach club, a member of the Drama Club, a member of the Jazz Band, plays varsity volleyball, and is the president and one of lead attorneys in the Mock Trial class. When she graduates this year she will have completed 7 AP classes. I could not find or provide all those activities and opportunites for her.

There are downsides, of course. Learning looks A LOT different. There is more of a feel of "what do I need to do for a good grade?" vs. doing it for the love of learning. Learning is more schedule and necessity driven. But that is what college will be like, so again, I am glad that learning curve is happening now.

Their social life has widened, which has been both good and bad. There is more drama, for sure. Gossipy girls, boys who are knuckleheads, liars, cheaters...... they are all there. But so aren't proms and bonfires at the beach and the general "hanging out" with 25 of your closest friends (haha) that make for some fun teenage memories.

It took me a long time to redefine myself. I really really enjoyed homeschooling. But now we are all on to the next chapter in life.

Every family is different, but for us it was a good choice. It was just the right time and the right decision. But I do miss homeschooling.

P.S. - the one comment that bugged me the most about putting the girls back into school? "Oh, I think that will be so great for all of you. Now when you all come home at night you will have stuff to talk about vs. being together all day and running out of things to say to each other." WHAT? We never ran out of stuff to talk about. The girls used to climb into bed with me at night and we would all read and continue chatting away..... never even dawned on us that we might "run out of things to talk about"![/quote']

Thank you, Home'scool. I found myself nodding to a lot of what you wrote, especially the parts about learning and social life. I'm glad to hear things have gone well with your decision to put them back in public school. And I agree about that comment being annoying. :lol:

Hello, Stacy. It's been a long time! I remember you well as Linksalot. :)

This fall marks the 3 and a half year point since we put our four youngest in public school. At the time they had only been homeschooled (we homeschooled their elder siblings, twins, all the way through) and were in grades 5, 6, 8, and 10. It was Feb. when we put them in school that year and they did fine.

This year the three youngest will be in high school (grades 9, 10, and 12). The 9th grader was accepted at the new science/math magnet high school, which should be interesting (this is the first year, and the school will only have 9th and 10th graders this year). The other two will be in the regular high school.

Overall I've been pleased with our decision and the boys' growth. They have a lot of friends, they complain about school (as they also did about homeschool, lol) but get very good grades, and I feel that they have more opportunities for advanced classes than they did at home. We have a good district; that helps me with any residual guilt. :)

Thanks, Ria. Yes! The elementary years... I'm nodding. I'm glad things have worked out so well for you, too. And I've thought several times that our family is closer because we homeschooled. Very grateful for that.

Hey lady! :D

After eight years at home, Mac went off to a charter/ duel magnet high school, last year. I would say it was a big adjustment, but in an odd way. She was really stressed with time management in the first semester, adjusting to short classes and lots more work. She also disliked how the teachers talked to the students, but also saw why.

I would say, all in all, that it's been a positive experience. By the end of the year she could juggle multiple test, rehearsals (she's in the performing arts program), and term papers with ease. She's learned more about the rules of the game (life) and how to problem solve, than just facts. She's also grown-up a bunch, more confident, though a bit more melancholy. I think she sees just how hard the outside world is on all of us, and now understands the rat race.

My feelings about the educational system in the US has not changed. I think it's crap (both public & private). I hate the age/grade system. I hate that not all kids get to follow their interests, abilities, nor have any flexibility. I hate the teacher/student dynamic, and how stress everyone is. I'm not totally in love with homeschooling either. Nothing we have is really amazing, really helping kids to reach their full potential, and I doubt this will change in my lifetime. Seeing the US truly value education seems some days to be a pipe dream.

Hi there, Jenny in Atl, and thank you for sharing your story. Oh, MAN, do I know what you mean about Mac not liking how the teachers talked to the students. That actually cracked me up when I read that, because my dc would discuss that often. They were annoyed with the teachers sometimes, but also the students as well. Good luck to Mac again this year!

I have no advice on the topic, but I just wanted to say hi. It's good to see you. :)

Thanks, RegularMom. Hello to you, too.

I'll read your post now, but first I wanted to say, "Howdy, I missed you." :seeya:

Thanks, newlifemom. I know, it's been a while.

Thanks again for all your help, and I hope everything goes smoothly for y'all!

Thank you, nmoira. I was going to let this die a quiet death until I heard a mysterious bump in the night. :D
I was bored, between Ben Stiller movies. :tongue_smilie:

Their social life has widened' date=' which has been both good and bad. There is more drama, for sure. Gossipy girls, boys who are knuckleheads, liars, cheaters...... they are all there. But so aren't proms and bonfires at the beach and the general "hanging out" with 25 of your closest friends (haha) that make for some fun teenage memories.

P.S. - the one comment that bugged me the most about putting the girls back into school? "Oh, I think that will be so great for all of you. Now when you all come home at night you will have stuff to talk about vs. being together all day and running out of things to say to each other." WHAT? We never ran out of stuff to talk about. The girls used to climb into bed with me at night and we would all read and continue chatting away..... never even dawned on us that we might "run out of things to talk about"![/quote']

Great to see you Api!!!!!

I just put our kids in this year. We have two weeks down and 34 to go. It is interesting to watch all of them respond so differently, but I do feel like they are responding exactly how I thought they would.

DD1 has a glorified view of school from Disney and kid movies. Who knew they actually had to work?? She's a little shocked by that right now.

DD2 is a perfectionist, and luckily, very capable. She came in bawling last week because she's terrible at math!!! She'd only gotten a 96 on a times mult. test. :glare:

This is the best for dd3. She is a quirky, brilliant, off-the-wall angel except when she's angry, then the world better watch out. She is the one who has refused to read. I tell her to pick a book for independant reading and she chooses Veggie Tales. I ask her to write her name on her paper and she melts down into a screaming puddle on the floor. Honestly - I was terrified for her. She loves it. She loves her teacher. She is exactly at instructional level (whatever that means), she's reading The Lightning Thief for her independant reading -I could just wring her neck for being so difficult for me!!! But, hopefully she can gain some confidence and figure out that she is smart and succeed here.

DS seems to thrive with whatever. He's super smart and easy going. I'm still doing phonics with him - but come on - he's 5.

So, basically, the kids are doing fine. We know we're moving in May, so we'll just have to see what happens next year. I *plan* to bring them home, but if we're somewhere with amazing schools, we'll see. I'm certain ds will come home, but I want what will serve the kids best, and I'm not sure I'm it anymore.

I miss my babies though. I never knew how much I depended on them for entertainment! I hate that I only see them when they are worn out by the day and they don't want to talk to anyone - at least not nicely. I hate that they are dividing up. It used to be the P***** kids were a group - they belong together. Now, the neighbors want to play with this child, or that child and they aren't all best friends anymore. It makes me sad.

We'll see how the year goes! Sorry I've written a novel - no one here gets how life-changing this has been for me.

I'm glad to hear of people's experiences as we are just beginning to think about high school for our daughter (who has been homeschooled since age 4, in 6th grade now). As we head into the middle school years, it's being brought home to me how expensive it will be to provide some of the options I'd like her to have at the high school level if we do it on our own (AP classes, etc). Also, not only do the options (academic and social) in our area for homeschooled teens narrow because there are fewer of them, the options become almost non-existent if you are looking for something secular. Now that she's older, I'm not as concerned about how she would handle a very Christian-specific program if it became necessary, but I am not thrilled about it possibly becoming necessary. I also worry about whether she would actually be accepted by the others in such groups. I and others are trying to set up more opportunities, but it's hard since we don't yet have kids in that age range. I know that online options exist, but that doesn't address the social issues.

Another aspect is exactly that learning curve folks are talking about. I'm really ramping up my expectations of independent time-management from her this year and giving her some additional independent learning options, but learning to negotiate that sort of environment before college could be a very good thing for her.

Luckily there are a couple of options in the area that I find intriguing if we all decide going to a brick and mortar school is a good move for us when the time comes. Something new to fret about for the next three years;).

I had a child attend public high school. He turned into himself. lol Meaning, he stayed the same wonderful boy he always was, but with an added skip in his step & an excitment about his days. He slid right into the music program like a second skin and had new stories to share. Currently, he's been chatting like mad about his AP Psych summer reading list. He's already written his essay, although school doesn't start until Sept. Band camp starts. Right now, life is good. :)

He's graduating this year and we have the college process ahead of us. I do hope we don't kill each other. Yeah! College applications! FAFSA! AP tests! Another SAT! More vists! Gag. I can't wait to be done with all of that!

Edited by LibraryLover