Menu

Has anyone successfully grown nut trees in zone 5?

I want to plant an English Walnut Tree. While I was searching for places that sell them, I saw on Gurney's website that they have Almond and Pecan trees that are hardy to zone 5. I'm surprised by this, but I might want to give it a try. The only nuts I've seen around here are Black Walnuts and I don't want those.

If you are in zone 5 (or even 4), have you ever grown any nut trees successfully?

I want to plant an English Walnut Tree. While I was searching for places that sell them, I saw on Gurney's website that they have Almond and Pecan trees that are hardy to zone 5. I'm surprised by this, but I might want to give it a try. The only nuts I've seen around here are Black Walnuts and I don't want those.

If you are in zone 5 (or even 4), have you ever grown any nut trees successfully?

The Chicago Botanic Garden grows nut trees. They might have more information about the varieties that do well in zone 5 as well as some tips.

We're on the cold end of zone 5 - sometimes it gets beyond -10 and -20 here. But I wonder if I could just cover them in the fall for the first few years until they are too tall for that to work. Hmmm.

I'll check into the Chicago Botanic Gardens - I *really* want a nut tree of some sort!

We are on the cold side of zone 5, and the prior owner of this house planted all of our walnut trees - they are thriving... I would love to try pecan or almond up here. I had no idea they would grow! Let us know what you find out:D

English walnut or black walnut? Black walnuts grow like monsters around here! I'm hoping the English would do the same, but I never see them. I bought a bag of the most delicious english walnuts at the farmer's mkt last week, and he said they were from his sister's walnut tree (and she lives about 30 minutes south of here).

According to Gurney's website, the Hardy Pecan grows anywhere peaches grow. My peach tree is sagging to the ground from it's massive amount of fruit this year. So....

Will definitely let you know what I find out!