Menu

3 days since ds at college. . .

Guest Barb B

Sunk in today - I miss our conversations, his messy room, not having to tell him to FLUSH, not hearing him play guitar or piano, it got quieter, seeing his 8 year old brother hide and try to jump out and scare him. . . OK this is enough - anyone else care to be sad with me. . . sometimes I have to let myself just sit here and miss him you know?

Barb:crying:

Are you telling me I will be telling the boys to flush until they leave home? I'm kind of over it and DS1 is not yet 6? :) Anyway, hugs to you missing your big boy. I really do not look forward to when my blossoms start flying the coop.:grouphug:

Guest Barb B

Well, my 8 year old remembers to flush - but my absent minded professor of an 18 year old doesn't!

Its the age old thing - we raise them to be good, solid, independent kids - this IS supposed to be and is so right that he is at Purdue. But, I am letting myself indulge in a little melancholy tonight,

Barb

Hi Barb,

It's ok to miss them! I left mine Monday at the University of Florida. It was an emotional week leading up to his departure...and then when I drove my van out of the driveway...and when I was driving on the interstate..._______fill in the blank. Once we got there and started working...I was too busy.

I was totally expecting to cry when I actually hugged him good-bye and left him at his apartment...but I didn't! I think I was too exhausted and my tear ducts were dry from the morning! I came home yesterday and cleaned out his room without shedding a tear. I love texting and hearing about what he's doing...but I do miss him.

I still have two teenage boys at home...so the toilet will still not be FLUSHED! (Although my oldest was the only one that actually DID it! He was so excited about finally having his own bathroom!!!), there will still be messy rooms, violin/piano playing, noise...but I won't have my oldest here. The other boys say it's "depressing" to go into his old room.

The hardest part of launching them into life is grieving the loss of childhood....

On the positive side...I now have an office/guest room! I won't have to clean my middle son's room when company comes...this room will be clean!

Hugs to you...you're not alone :)

Guest Barb B

DS and I have had short, little emails. . . When I write one, I reread it and it seems odd.. . you know, so different from conversations through out the day whenever. I guess I find it hard to have email not sound forced or fake. Hope that makes sense. . . it is just getting used to a new phase of life. . . I read my emails and try to figure out: "is this what I want to say", "does this sound superficial". . . our relationship is a close one, we always conversed easily, so I don't know why this is throwing me.

Barb