Menu

Where do job hunters look for jobs?

At a loss here. DH has been posting a job offering, with very little luck. He's posted on Monster and Dice (I could have the spelling wrong on that last one).

So far - he has only one lead for what we thought was a great job opportunity, probably for someone younger, just out of school, and ready to get started. Or even for someone with a small family, depending on their needs.

Most responders are either terribly over-qualified or, well, there is only one other responder. Which means DH has only one choice.

If you have recent experience or stories of experiences about job-hunting - where did you (or anyone else) look for postings?

2 - 3 years ago, DH used craigslist, but the respondents were less than desirable.

Any ideas?

(I know this is very off the subject of home schooling, but since DH is covering for this position while we hunt for someone, it's having a huge impact on our family!)

At a loss here. DH has been posting a job offering, with very little luck. He's posted on Monster and Dice (I could have the spelling wrong on that last one).

So far - he has only one lead for what we thought was a great job opportunity, probably for someone younger, just out of school, and ready to get started. Or even for someone with a small family, depending on their needs.

Most responders are either terribly over-qualified or, well, there is only one other responder. Which means DH has only one choice.

If you have recent experience or stories of experiences about job-hunting - where did you (or anyone else) look for postings?

2 - 3 years ago, DH used craigslist, but the respondents were less than desirable.

Any ideas?

(I know this is very off the subject of home schooling, but since DH is covering for this position while we hunt for someone, it's having a huge impact on our family!)

WTM boards? Only half kidding.

I know several of us have husbands out of work, or underemployed. Is it something Aubrey's dh can do?

You know, I thought of that! I'm new enough here that I don't know what most people's DHs do.

DH needs someone in the DC area, no clearance necessary (which is why so many people are over-qualified, DH's co is not going to pay annually to maintain an employee's unnecessary clearance). That someone would need to be able to work at home, sometimes in DC at client's, without a ton of micro-management. And occasional travel. They'd need to do computer things. It is a great company, with wonderful benefits. :)

We hadn't thought of FB. We are probably the last FB hold outs. But DH is on Linked In, and maybe that's a route he should explore. Thanks!

I keep thinking he could contact universities somehow and list the job?

Grrrr, I just want him to find someone so it takes the stress off of him - and therefore us. I am simply shocked that it has taken so long in this economy, but maybe the job market is not so bad in our area. It's bizarre.

We hadn't thought of FB. We are probably the last FB hold outs. But DH is on Linked In, and maybe that's a route he should explore. Thanks!

I keep thinking he could contact universities somehow and list the job?

Grrrr, I just want him to find someone so it takes the stress off of him - and therefore us. I am simply shocked that it has taken so long in this economy, but maybe the job market is not so bad in our area. It's bizarre.

I was in Houston last week visiting my sister. At her dd's ball game another parent there was saying how he had just driven in from DFW to see his child play. He indicated he was worn out and burning the candle at both ends. And he said he couldn't find anyone to hire. Someone asked him 'doing what?' and put palms up and said, 'just someone young and strong and willing to work.' I think it was in construction and granted not everyone can do that kind of work (Aubrey's dh is one who can't I think because of his health), but it did make me realize that there ARE jobs out there.

In DC? Washington Post is always where I went (they have print and on-line). Otherwise, head-hunter agencies (specific skill sets I had were almost always in demand with head-hunters). USA Jobs might be another one (they list a lot of government jobs... I'm not sure whether or not non-government companies can put listings there).

Thanks. I'm going to suggest that they post through Linked In and the Washington Post. Both make sense to me, and the current postings are not productive. Seems like they're not reaching the right people.

Scarlett, I find it somewhat comforting that there's another person out there who can't find someone to hire, albeit in a different field. Thanks for sharing that story!

Can't he hire the overqualified people and let the clearance lapse? My own DH was unemployed for a loooooooooooong time because they weren't hiring at his level and nobody wanted to under employ him. When your house is on the line you DON'T CARE. If they need to be cleared for the next job/contract, that's something that can be remedied later. I don't see why an employer would feel obligated to keep an unnecessary clearance current???

Kung Fu, I was thinking along the same lines... I will ask him if he's spoken to these people. It may well be that they don't care if their clearance lapses, as long as it's a job.

They're looking into posting on the career centers of various colleges now, too, so that should help.

Thanks for all the brainstorming help!

Several big churches here have weekly networking times for unemployed or under-employed folks. Each church is a different day and time. My dh said you could conceivably go to a networking meeting 20 or so hours a week.

Perhaps your hubby could network at some of those himself.