Menu

Should I consider doing an extra year of high school?

I have been thinking long and hard about this, and I am really considering doing an extra year of high school. So instead of the normal 4 years of high school, I would be doing 5 years or maybe 4 1/2 years. For some reason I feel like I am being rushed too much, I feel like I still have one too many things to accomplish and an extra year of high school might give me some extra time. I want to become a nurse, and I haven't been too succesful with my science courses that I have taken in the past, and I have been trying to cram 3 years of science into two years, and it's just not working for me. I also want to take my time and start volunteering in a hospital setting and gain some experience that way too, and pursue many other interests I have before entering college.

But so many people discourage me from it, and I have no clue how this would look on a transcript or what colleges would think of it. Would they like it, or would they just toss my transcript aside? I am going to college, but I don't know if taking an extra year to complete my coursework would be such a good idea. In fact, I am really nervous about it, I don't want people or colleges thinking I am dumb! I am really bright, I just extra time!!

Does anyone have any advice?:bigear:

So this wouldn't affect my chances of trying to get into a good college then?:bigear:

I wouldn't think so. In fact, if you do an extra half year, you might have an advantage; colleges sometimes give deferred applicants the choice of starting in the spring semester rather than fall, after some freshmen have dropped out or transferred. I would imagine that somebody wanting to apply for the spring semester would be welcomed.

A gap year is elected after college admittance.

What you need to do is lay out your coursework & figure out how you will get in the req'd coursework by high school graduation. Anything nonrequired can go later. Your courseload as listed is not heavy, so I wouldn't use that for a reason to add another year. I'd get the planner going and get the work done, possibly dropping any nonrequired electives that are getting in the way.

You are right, I think I might drop a few classes and focus on math, science, english, history, and foreign language. I think I know the classe(s) I might have to drop.:glare:

I wouldn't think so. In fact, if you do an extra half year, you might have an advantage; colleges sometimes give deferred applicants the choice of starting in the spring semester rather than fall, after some freshmen have dropped out or transferred. I would imagine that somebody wanting to apply for the spring semester would be welcomed.

A half year might be better than a whole year, I might try schooling year round as well, trying my hardest to accomplish as much as I can so I won't have to take a gap year. But if I do, I know it will be okay, I just found this article!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24260521/ns/today-parenting/t/should-your-child-have-gap-year-college/

What do you think?

I think you should do what works best for you. One of the beauties of homeschooling is flexibility. Several of my son's friends waited until 19 to go to college and were accepted everywhere they applied. Many homeschoolers do transcripts by subject rather by year and like public schools, award credit for classes done prior to high school. So it wouldn't even have to be obvious that you took an extra year. Take your time, pursue both your academic and extracurricular interests, and apply when you feel ready.

I think you should do what works best for you. One of the beauties of homeschooling is flexibility. Several of my son's friends waited until 19 to go to college and were accepted everywhere they applied. Many homeschoolers do transcripts by subject rather by year and like public schools, award credit for classes done prior to high school. So it wouldn't even have to be obvious that you took an extra year. Take your time, pursue both your academic and extracurricular interests, and apply when you feel ready.

Thank you Frances, this is what I needed to hear! I think I will take an extra half year to pursue some other interests I have and maybe even gain some credits I need for my major. And then go off to college. I think I would also feel more "mature" for college if I waited an extra year or so. Now I know why I stay homeschooled!!

Thank you!

I second this.

I don't think it will hurt you to take an extra year. Even if you flop around and do nothing, colleges won't hold it against you. They'll just figure you took another year to mature. Lots of kids take a year off to work, make money to go to college, pursue an interest, or just get their act together. If you have enriching things to keep you busy, you'll look even better.

It could be that you will find that you still can't get through the science on your own. If that's the case, just move on to college and don't worry about it. If you have a lot of volunteer work that year, that will be way more valuable than getting through chemistry. You can pick up the science courses once you get to college.

But you probably want to apply during the regular application season. There are deadlines to meet in the fall if you want to be considered for financial aid.

I second this.

I don't think it will hurt you to take an extra year. Even if you flop around and do nothing, colleges won't hold it against you. They'll just figure you took another year to mature. Lots of kids take a year off to work, make money to go to college, pursue an interest, or just get their act together. If you have enriching things to keep you busy, you'll look even better.

It could be that you will find that you still can't get through the science on your own. If that's the case, just move on to college and don't worry about it. If you have a lot of volunteer work that year, that will be way more valuable than getting through chemistry. You can pick up the science courses once you get to college.

But you probably want to apply during the regular application season. There are deadlines to meet in the fall if you want to be considered for financial aid.

Thank you emubird, and I am glad that another person agrees! I will be using my gap year to gain more volunteer hours at the local hospital, and then I will go to college. I also wanted to use my gap year to secure a job and make some extra money to help pay for anything I might need the year before I go. And I will be applying regular season, and having them hols my spot until I am ready to go. Thank you so much!!:)