Menu

What does Frumpy mean to you clothing wise?

For me, I would say clothes that don't fit your body well or that make you uncomfortable. Things that make you look like you are older than you are (like wearing your grandmothers clothes).

I also think there is a difference between looking frumpy because you don't know how to do anything else, and looking frumpy because you just like what you are wearing and don't care how it looks.

I don't think I'd ever describe another person's clothing as "frumpy."

The thing is, I think we're all headed for frumpy, because it tends to refer to people wearing out-of-date or "old-lady-ish" clothes. If we're all fortunate enough to live long enough, we'll all get there, because I don't know anybody in her 80s who walks around wearing the latest fashion trends.

The jeans we're wearing today? They ARE mom jeans. We're moms. And they're our jeans. We only think of high-waisted, tapered-leg pants as "mom jeans" because our moms wore them, but the crazy thing is that they were actually fashionable when our moms wore them. Ten years from now, maybe sooner, people in their 20s and 30s will be turning up their noses at low-rise boot-cut jeans, calling them "mom jeans," and we'll probably still happily be wearing them, because to us that's what jeans are supposed to look like. Same with everything else we wear.

Or, maybe, "frumpy is in the eye of the beholder." I'm guessing the peers (husband and same-age friends) of most women who dress "frumpy" think they look just fine.

Today I know I am frumpy. I have on a Winnie the Pooh T shirt that is too big with cargo capris that are also too big. And I have on my old crocs that have a paint stains on them. I will say that I do not plan on leaving the house today though.

I think frumpy means you look like you are ready for bed or you have the flu.:D

To me, frumpy includes wearing baggy clothes, clothes in shabby condition (e.g. worn-out, holey, stained, etc.), unbrushed/unkempt hair, ragged and/or dirty fingernails and toenails, wearing gym/yoga/workout clothes or pajamas when you are not working out or getting ready for bed, wearing 'old-lady' clothes when you are not an old lady.

I think avoiding frumpy is as easy as brushing your hair, wearing clean, neat clothes that fit well and appropriate to what you are doing, and trimming your nails neatly. I do not think you have to have a fancy hair-do or wear make-up or wear the latest fashion to avoid frumpiness. A clean and neat pair of jeans, a well-fitting clean and neat t-shirt, your nails trimmed and hair in a neat pony-tail does not look frumpy to me. It looks simple and clean, and it is not (IMO) a difficult thing to accomplish.

I don't think I'd ever describe another person's clothing as "frumpy."

The thing is, I think we're all headed for frumpy, because it tends to refer to people wearing out-of-date or "old-lady-ish" clothes. If we're all fortunate enough to live long enough, we'll all get there, because I don't know anybody in her 80s who walks around wearing the latest fashion trends.

No, but I know plenty of little old ladies who dress nicely. They don't shop in the junior's department (!), or "wear the latest fashion trends" but they wear clean, new clothes that fit them appropriately and are well put together. They wear makeup, jewelry and fix their hair.

The jeans we're wearing today? They ARE mom jeans. We're moms. And they're our jeans. We only think of high-waisted, tapered-leg pants as "mom jeans" because our moms wore them, but the crazy thing is that they were actually fashionable when our moms wore them. Ten years from now, maybe sooner, people in their 20s and 30s will be turning up their noses at low-rise boot-cut jeans, calling them "mom jeans," and we'll probably still happily be wearing them, because to us that's what jeans are supposed to look like. Same with everything else we wear.

But just because I wore my hair feathered in the 80's, doesn't mean I wear it feathered today.

And just because I wear low-rise skinny jeans today, doesn't mean I'll wear them in 2025 (when they're out of style.) Even though I wear them today, while I'm a mom, I will change them when the fashions change.

Or, maybe, "frumpy is in the eye of the beholder." I'm guessing the peers (husband and same-age friends) of most women who dress "frumpy" think they look just fine.

I dunno. I have plenty of friends who are my age who dress frumpy. I do not think they look just fine. And when they dress up, I make a point to tell them how lovely they look that day.