Menu

Are there any kids fiction books about HSing?

Runningmom80

:bigear: We have a few Kindle versions of the Wright on Time series, about a homeschooling family traveling the states.

A quick google produced this list:

http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/childrens-homeschooling-books.html

I've been seeing a few fiction books on the book store shelves about homeschooling that don't look very positive toward homeschooling.

The list Angela linked is a decent one. There are more and more books coming out with homeschooled characters. I just read a YA called This Girl is Different not that long ago about a homeschooled girl going to public school for the first time.

There's also now a Homeschool Book Award - which is a nice idea, I think. It's in its first year.

However, most of the books with homeschooled kids coming out are for older kids and teens. There are still *very* few picture books and early chapter books - almost all of them self-published, though there are some fans of a few of the titles out there so maybe someone will chime in. Plus, the plot of the vast majority of these books is about homeschooled kids returning to school. Usually to get the happy ending, the kid has to realize that school isn't so bad. So, not always the message you want to give, ya know?

ETA: One nice thing I liked about the homeschool book award is that they nominate books that aren't necessarily about "homeschoolers" but about kids living non-typical lives. I liked that. So, for example, one of the books nominated is Savvy, which is a great book, and not one you would think of as a "homeschool book" because the plot has nothing to do with homeschooling. Another book in that category I often like to suggest is Nim's Island by Wendy Orr.

Edited by farrarwilliams

:bigear: We have a few Kindle versions of the Wright on Time series, about a homeschooling family traveling the states.

DD enjoyed these and I like the positive family dynamic (not calling siblings stupid or the parents being clueless, like most kids' lit) and works in some nice educational bits. Books are about 100pp; I'd say the reading level is above MTH (and much better written!) but below Little House on the Prairie.

I got an e-mail that thru Sep the Kindle books are $2.99 and books in their inventory are $5.

ETA: Angela, I love that the hs lit list includes Tarzan -- I'd never thought of him as home schooled. :lol:

Edited by ChandlerMom

I was going to suggest this one:

Kandoo Kangaroo Hops Into Homeschool

but it looks like it's out of print and going for $$$. The cheapest I saw was $20 at AbeBooks. IMO it's not worth that much, but if you can find a more reasonably priced copy, it might be suitable for your needs. It's pretty much Berenstain Bears format and age level. As mentioned in some of the Amazon reviews, it does have a bit of religious content (namely a reference to a Bible verse: "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength").

If you're interested, it might be worth posting on the Want to Buy board in case someone has a copy they don't need. I'd happily part with ours, but it's gone walkabout. :tongue_smilie:

A quick google produced this list:

http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/childrens-homeschooling-books.html

I've been seeing a few fiction books on the book store shelves about homeschooling that don't look very positive toward homeschooling.

Thanh you. I thinkill see if I can convince my library to buy the wright series.

Not sure it falls under the "fiction" title, but my library has "I Am a Home Schooler" by Julie Voetberg. The reading level is listed as a 3.5 from Follett Library Resources.

We just listened to an audiobook where one of the main characters (Rachel) was a homeschooled girl. Ah! Found it: A World Without Heros. It isn't more than just touched on, but my kids & husband pointed it out. She's smart - from what little I heard of it. Definitely not a picture book, but my three older kids liked the audiobook.

Adding this link to an interesting article about this very topic.

Edited by RootAnn

Also children's historical fiction include stories that demonstrate how children learned at home or in other non-school environments, and lived productive lives prior to schools being accessible.

What immediately comes to mind is the "Learns a Lesson" book in each of the American Girl historical character sets. Many of the children learn at home, from grandparents, or from hired tutors in home settings. Even in some of the books where there are schools, the stories illustrate how schools were very different - children of multiple ages learning together and a greater expectation for self-paced independent learning - time taken off as-needed for work & family life, etc.

I have a VERY long list of books featuring homeschooled characters on my blog. Click the link in my signature line, then look at the sidebar to the left of my blog page. There will be a "Misc." section and under that you will see links to my listings of books featuring homeschooled characters.

I've included titles, descriptions, age levels, etc.

And if any of you know of any books I don't already have on that list, let me know!

I generally see a pattern in books about a subset of the population, be it mixed families or kids in a wheelchair or whatever. The first books are very over the top and fact-laden, and it takes a while for books to be published which are halfway natural with semi-realistic characters who don't make informative speeches throughout (like -- Amy turned to Bob, and said in a strained voice, "You know, Bob, I spend a lot of time consulting publishers' websites to determine the proper scope and sequence for Milly's math progression!" to which he hastily replied, "Of course you do, dear. I know learning doesn't only occur in the classroom, but sometimes it seems as if a few more worksheets might cement the concepts." Then Greech came into the kitchen, diaper off. "Poo-poo!" he screamed. "Oh no!" shrieked Amy, "We'll be late for the soccer team, basket weaving class, and the soup kitchen!")

I am mostly still waiting.