Menu

AoPS questions

How do you think this would work a "year behind" for a non mathy kid? What I mean is, using the Pre-Algebra book during the Algebra 1 year, the Algebra 1 book during the Algebra 2 year and so forth?

I LOVE the idea of AoPS but dd is not strong in math. Maybe this would help that?

Generally, I would hesitate to recommend AoPS to a student who is not strong in math. I think there are a few questions you need to ask yourself:

Is she excited about math and thinks it is fun?

Is she willing to use a curriculum that covers more and harder material than the traditional high school curricula?

Is she willing to put the work in and puzzle over one hard problem for an hour because she is determined to figure it out?

Does she do well with a discovery based approach that poses problems and has HER try to figure it out before a solution is presented - or would she be tempted to skip to the solution?

Will she do OK with a curriculum that does not emphasize the practical usefulness of math, but instead focuses on the joy and beauty? (It will provide all the useful stuff - it just does not harp on the "math is necessary for your practical life" approach)

If you can answer these questions with yes, then go for it. If not, you might want to take a closer look.

Generally, I would hesitate to recommend AoPS to a student who is not strong in math. I think there are a few questions you need to ask yourself:

Is she excited about math and thinks it is fun? Math, no, but she thrives on challenges

Is she willing to use a curriculum that covers more and harder material than the traditional high school curricula? Yes, she likes digging deep

Is she willing to put the work in and puzzle over one hard problem for an hour because she is determined to figure it out? This I honestly think would drive her to scream. Maybe this right here is the deal breaker :confused:

Does she do well with a discovery based approach that poses problems and has HER try to figure it out before a solution is presented - or would she be tempted to skip to the solution? Absolutely. She LOVES discovery based learning.

Will she do OK with a curriculum that does not emphasize the practical usefulness of math, but instead focuses on the joy and beauty? (It will provide all the useful stuff - it just does not harp on the "math is necessary for your practical life" approach) Yeah, I think so anyways. We have other materials for the real life application that we do on school breaks so I think she sees it even when its not spelled out. I guess this is one I am not 100% certain about. I think she would do fine though

If you can answer these questions with yes, then go for it. If not, you might want to take a closer look.

The only thing I am now leary about is your 3rd question. I think that is the deal breaker for this child.

The only thing I am now leary about is your 3rd question. I think that is the deal breaker for this child.

Well, not EVERY problem takes that long, of course. Some of the challenge questions do - if you think the program works well for her in all other aspects, you could simply circumvent the really hard ones (as in: challenge problem with a star and two hints). Just thought I mention it because DD once spend two hours on one linear optimization problem.

Ohhh, good question, WY! (and the probing follow-up questions, too) It was helpful for me to see you try to figure this out because I would be answering those questions in a similar fashion. My girl is usually not one to jump at the chance to hammer away at one math problem for a long, long time on her own.But every once in awhile working through tougher problems in a Singapore IP or CWP book I noticed she would hang on bulldog-fashion and sweat it out until she had the right answer, even when I offered to take a look - and she knows I am not one prone to step in and rescue. Those were the days I saw a little evil math glimmer in her eye, and man would she celebrate after! BUT, that is not how she always operates with math. Most days she just wants to get it done and put away. So for this reason I had not even considered AoPS until curiousity got to me recently, and I went to take a look....been wondering ever since if we can handle it.

Hmm...you know what? I still want to try her with one of those books. (And I hadn't thought to drop back a level, duh) If it's a complete bust for her, I can always use it myself. Does it help to look at it this way, WY?

Ohhh, good question, WY! (and the probing follow-up questions, too) It was helpful for me to see you try to figure this out because I would be answering those questions in a similar fashion. My girl is usually not one to jump at the chance to hammer away at one math problem for a long, long time on her own.But every once in awhile working through tougher problems in a Singapore IP or CWP book I noticed she would hang on bulldog-fashion and sweat it out until she had the right answer, even when I offered to take a look - and she knows I am not one prone to step in and rescue. Those were the days I saw a little evil math glimmer in her eye, and man would she celebrate after! BUT, that is not how she always operates with math. Most days she just wants to get it done and put away. So for this reason I had not even considered AoPS until curiousity got to me recently, and I went to take a look....been wondering ever since if we can handle it.

Hmm...you know what? I still want to try her with one of those books. (And I hadn't thought to drop back a level, duh) If it's a complete bust for her, I can always use it myself. Does it help to look at it this way, WY?

That is actually what I was thinking! Also I have younger kids that this might work for. I think my now 4th grader would do great with it if she keeps up the track she is on now when she is at that math level!

I am going to try it with her after talking with regentrude. I am keeping her a level behind though! If it doesn't work we will still get enough use out of it to make it worth it!!

Thanks Regentrude.

This was absolutely perfect for me to hear. ...

you wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Is she excited about math and thinks it is fun?

Is she willing to use a curriculum that covers more and harder material than the traditional high school curricula?

Is she willing to put the work in and puzzle over one hard problem for an hour because she is determined to figure it out?

Does she do well with a discovery based approach that poses problems and has HER try to figure it out before a solution is presented - or would she be tempted to skip to the solution?

Will she do OK with a curriculum that does not emphasize the practical usefulness of math, but instead focuses on the joy and beauty? (It will provide all the useful stuff - it just does not harp on the "math is necessary for your practical life" approach)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

ds might be able to do it, but he is " practical man". When I asked which FL he wanted to study and he asked, " which is most useful".

Y'all enjoy this amazing sounding program, I personally am interested in AoPS, the beauty of math is beginning to turn me on. but not either of my kids at this time.

per fect perfect help.

thanks.

~christine in al

Edited by christine in al
not clear and crummy spelling