Menu

Annoying things non-home schoolers say

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having one child who has special needs. They thing it's great that I homeschool her because I can meet her needs one on one.

The they alwasy ask:Do you send you son to public school? Oh you homeschool him also- I thought you would send him to school since he is normal and can do the work at a ps. Grrrrr!

My neighor came by last month to tell me she was worried that "this is all just too much for you"... meaning homeschooling. She goes on to explain herself, "Your two middle kids are smart and good, why not send them? I understand your oldest has learning disabilities and you feel you have to homeschool her. But why do this to the other two?"

I'm just thankful my oldest didn't hear that the neighbor doesn't think she's smart or good. It also sort of sounded like she thought my oldest wasn't good enough for school so, she would have to settle for the sub-par education I am giving her at home.

From MIL:

She's just homeschooling so she can buy all this stuff for herself. It's not really for the kids.

(I am usually discussed in the 3rd person when my MIL is involved).

This one cracks me up. Like, yeah, I've always wanted second grade Math U See.

What could she be thinking?

Alley

When we moved last year I was expecting a baby. I mentioned to our new neighbor that we homeschool and she said "oh, so you're going to have a home birth?" :001_huh: Imagine her surprise when I said I would actually go to the hospital and use a midwife?! I still wonder what other assumptions she has made about us. :)

Incidentally, this is the neighbor who frequently drops her 5 year off with us because it's "easier to run errands without him". Never mind that my hubby is deployed for a year and I do ALL my running around with my 4 kiddos. Some days it bugs me, but for the most part it makes me very thankful that I enjoy my kids as much as I do.

I've heard a few annoying comments, but the one I hear most often & find most annoying is, "Oh, I could neeeeveeeer do that!".

Um, you don't have to do it. Ever. Never. So shut your pie hole.

I don't say that really, but I think it sometimes:)

Susan

Actually, I've said this very thing! I say, "That's okay, because you don't have to." Very neutral tone. It's the truth, after all.

Actually, homeschooling is the most exciting and intellectually stimulating thing I have done since leaving a great job before I had kids. It is so much fun, and so very rewarding.

Isn't that the truth! I sometimes think that my IRL friends think I've sentenced myself to 20 years of something awful, but I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing!

Every time I have a conversation with a PS teacher I always get a little nervous about bringing up homeschooling, because most of the PS teachers I've spoken with want to fight to the death about how the public school system is the best choice, etc.

It's not every time for me, but I hear it a lot. Enough so that one of my least favorite things I hear is about those rotten homeschoolers failing their children, neglecting them, then when it goes south both educationally and behaviorally "dumping them on the public school." Where they take up extra resource and time they obviously wouldn't have, had they been in PS where they belong from the start. Our state's numbers for children enrolled in school have been dropping - public, private, and at home. There's just not as many children, for several years running. But several teachers I've spoken to have talked like as if they're entitled to have all the children come to them. Like they're owed something, because they're teachers. Sorry. God entrusted those kids to my husband and myself, and it's our decision and nobody else's who gets to educate them!!

I have hg again with this pregnancy and at the end of June people at church were asking DH if we would put oldest dd in school now since I was too sick to homeschool. Are all of their children in school over the summer? No, summer break! Mystery solved :)

linguistmama, I hope you're feeling better now!

I got that question a few times, too. But it would have been SOOOO much harder for me to have gotten my children to school than to have just done some work at home. Of course, I was too sick to do either, but as you said, that was our "summer break" in the fall. We started school in mid-November last year, and although we're doing some work now while we're on an extended business trip with my husband, we're mostly taking a break and will start school again in mid-November.

People here (or when we've been on other long trips), when they learn that we're homeschooling, think it makes some sense. But they are very surprised to hear that we homeschool at home, too, all the time, not just when we travel with my husband. :001_smile:

What could she be thinking?

Alley

Last night it was, "So where are you enrolling him for high school?"

Shall we count the assumptions there?? (I have two DC's, not just one; my oldest just happens to be the spitting image of his father while my younger SN son, of whom there are no photos displayed in her home, looks more like my side of the family). And older DC... Is only 10. And we intend toHS all the way unless he or little brother make a strong case otherwise, which she has already been told.

I am far happier staying out of her head, because the thoughts going round and round in there are not pleasant ones, and she is welcome to keep them!

"if it was good enough for you why isn't it good enough for your kids?"

Yeah, I like this one and my response is that it WASN'T good enough for me, I was there, I know what they didn't teach (and what the DID teach) so I can confidently say I know it isn't good enough!

People don't like my answer :glare:

:confused1: You think you know someone and bam...they hit you something like this.

I thought my sister and BIL understood why we homeschool until my BIL asked me, "if it was good enough for you why isn't it good enough for your kids?"

My in-laws have said...

"We would put our kids in the worst public school in America before we'd homeschool."

(We were in DC, living in the 7th worst school in America that year:tongue_smilie:)

My mom buys the school supplies for my brother's children and my niece's children. She always says, "I would buy your son school supplies, but I guess he doesn't need any." :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out where the gross of pencils I bought last August went. I'd swear someone ate them! And well, since you homeschool you don't use gluesticks, folders, paper, erasers, rulers, markers or crayons. :001_huh:

My daughter hates these.

If you don't go to school jobs will never accept you.

You can not do everything in homeschool.

You can not be social. Then she says: So why am I out here with you right now?:lol:

And to the kids who makes fun of her: she say have fun in "Schoolatraz or Sing Sing". :lol: I love that one!!

How will you be able to go to college, they will not be able to accept you. You will be on welfare. :glare:

Most of the crazy things I get is on socialization if only they knew my daughter they would find she is more social now then when she was in school.

Or I get my child is doing good in public school what is wrong with yours attitude.:glare:

Edited by dyana17

(since they know that I'm certified to teach Secondary English and my hubby's certified to teach Secondary Math....)

"Oh...well...you *can* homeschool because you're trained for that."

Insinuating that those who aren't certified are certainly not qualified. At which point I launch my defense of friends who are not only *not* certified, but not even degreed. I consider many of these non-degreed, non-certified friends to more skilled than I am when it comes to educating their children.

I'm still trying to figure out where the gross of pencils I bought last August went. I'd swear someone ate them! And well, since you homeschool you don't use gluesticks, folders, paper, erasers, rulers, markers or crayons. :001_huh:

No kidding. I had that exact conversation with my mom last year. And again this past spring when I was considering ps for ds for this fall. She suddenly got all excitied about buying him school supplies and school clothes for school. I had to point out that whether he did school at home or in ps he still needed to be dressed and use the exact same supplies. This is our 6th yr hsing and this year she finally got the picture, she bought all the kid new clothes and 7 packs of lined paper.

I had a friend, who happens to be a teacher, ask me this question. I tongue in cheek replied, "There is this amazing thing....maybe you have heard of it.....it's a "Teacher Edition" and it has scripts and all the answers.":tongue_smilie:

And it is how I knew what to teach in the CLASSROOM. Yes, my 'BS' degree was very much BS. We start on pg one, and work through the book using the notes in the TM.

We just ate at a cafeteria at Jamestown. So I guess we've got that covered. Whew.

>LIKE< :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, fortunately my girls were able to pull that off in Disney. They performed rather well (of course, we went in May and it wasn't crowded ;) ) But they still behaved well, and, despite their un-socialization, they even stepped aside for a little old lady.

It's those fun little blocks!

Edited by cin

Dh just called me during his lunch break. He said one of his newer co-workers found out we hs. He said, "Don't you think your kids DESERVE a public education." To which dh responded, "No, they deserve better." Then of course he gets the socialization question to which he responded that our kids socialize everyday with their family and have multiple opportunities with friends at church, cub scouts, neighbors, grandparents,...........every week. And, lastly, the "I have this family member that hsed and their teenager ran away, yada yada yada....." To which dh asked about the relationships between parents, siblings, and values the famiy has established.....the answers were not positive.

I was proud of him considering he has only been exposed to hsing for the two years he has known us and this was his first experience with defending it to others.

Guest classicmindchatt

1st grade neighbor was out of school on Monday b/c of flooding in our area, so she came over to play with my kids. They were talking about school to which she said, "You don't do real school!" Moments later, while playing a board game with my 1st grade son, she passed the card over for him to read and announced, "I don't know how to read.":lol:

1st grade neighbor was out of school on Monday b/c of flooding in our area, so she came over to play with my kids. They were talking about school to which she said, "You don't do real school!" Moments later, while playing a board game with my 1st grade son, she passed the card over for him to read and announced, "I don't know how to read.":lol:

How weird....you basically just described my day earlier this week. Right down to a 1st grade neighbor, who doesn't know how to read, coming over to play in the afternoon when school was out because of flooding. Then I saw your screenname and wondered: do you possibly live in Chattanooga? Maybe we are neighbors. ;)