Menu

Oak Meadow/Laurel Springs reviews?

I am considering enrolling ds in either Oak Meadow, Laurel Springs, or a few courses of each, with teacher-assistance.

I am familiar and pleased with Oak Meadow's curriculum, and Laurel Springs online courses appear superior to others I have looked at.

What I am wondering is, was the teacher grading/comments/support/encouragement/guidance worth the cost of the courses? Were you happy with the individualized attention your child received? How about the turn-around time for receiving feedback? Any pros as well as cons would be appreciated.

My motivations for enrollment are:

- an accredited diploma (for various reasons)

- outside accountability to ensure ds completes essential high school-level work (neither of us is intrinsically motivated enough to push through completing difficult/challenging projects)

- regular work submission requirements to keep us on track, but with enough flexibility to allow for vacation time, our own choice of start date, etc.

- Independent, so ds can do the majority of his work on his own, with little to no planning on my part

K12 looks great, but class discussions and due dates are pre-determined.

We could continue doing our own thing and use NARHS for the accredited diploma, but there is no external grading, and only submitting a portfolio at the end of the year would not be enough motivation to keep us on track.

Kolbe provides the diploma, flexibility and offers grading, but again, work submissions are too infrequent and the grading at our discretion, allowing for falling behind.

Please let me know if you think the cost of Oak Meadow and Laurel Springs is worth the fact that they meet all of my criteria. Of course, feel free to suggest any other programs you believe would fit the bill.

Thanks!

I would go with Luarel Springs, they are fabulous! I had wanted to use their program for awhile but they are just too expensive, so I couldn't use them. But the admission counselor there was so wonderful, I got in contact with so many teachers, and they sent me excellent programs online. The school is amazing and I think it will be well worth your money and time.

I hope this helps you a bit. I would get in contact with them and have them send you some samples of their coursework. This is what got me hooked.:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My son has been taking Latin with the Oak Meadow high school. The teacher is very responsive and encouraging. He writes a long evaluation of each work packet. In addition to issuing semester grades, he writes a full evaluation as well.

My son pretty much aced the course, mostly due to the fact that he had done the book they use in 8th grade, so it was a do over for credit. The reason I mention this is that the teacher really didn't have to give any guidance or offer any negative feedback. So I don't know how that works.

The turn around times are very good. And everyone I've dealt with at Oak Meadow has been incredibly nice and helpful.

I have been researching on-line and correspondance options for a number of reasons similar to those discussed here. But at this point in time we simply cannot afford them.

Laurel Springs ended up on my list, along with Virtual High School and Indiana University High School. Any reason you didn't include VHS or Indiana Uni HS on your list?

I will be following this thread for any other comments and suggestions. (In retrospect I think I am insane for ordering all of the books, textbooks, lab supplies, videos, etc. and trying to do all of the planning on my own.)

Deb

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest icemom

We have done both. Laurel Springs is 10x better. They use up to date teaching techniques. They have their lessons on line, so it is easier to stay on schedule. Teachers really care and are helpful. Oak Meadow is a nightmare. It is so old fashion. You use a workbook & text. The teachers don't update their computers. If you send it using apple pages it is changed, or you have to cut & paste everything. It's a lot of extra work. The teachers are....not as good. The curriculum is impossible. Answers are impossible to find, projects for every lesson. They appear simple but the teacher is never satisfied and wants more. Oak Meadow=busy work

Laurel Springs=Great learning experience

Icemom

• 2 weeks later...