Menu

Memorization for K

Dhahabu

Hi, I have a 5yo ds and would really like to start doing some memory work with him this year. I would like it to be a mix of 'useful things to know' (eg home telephone number), Scripture and possibly poems (if that's not hard). Can anyone give me some ideas of what they've used with kids of this age?

Thanks, Julie

With my son I don't try to "formally" do "memorization" but I do work on things here and there conversationally or for fun that I know he should memorize.

These are just things like full name, phone number, address, birthday, seasons, days of the week, the names of the months, 911, we sometimes do the Pledge, nursery rhymes, songs- that kind of thing.

With my son I don't try to "formally" do "memorization" but I do work on things here and there conversationally or for fun that I know he should memorize.

These are just things like full name, phone number, address, birthday, seasons, days of the week, the names of the months, 911, we sometimes do the Pledge, nursery rhymes, songs- that kind of thing.

:iagree:

This is what I'm planning too.

We do this, too, although we're more intentional about nursery rhymes, especially if they have some historical context that they'll learn about later. At the moment, we're just working through Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever and learning one rhyme at a time.