Menu

Anyone else tired of ripping apart wb's & scanning

Momma4Boys

:001_smile: For 2 days now I have been tearing apart workbooks, scanning, etc all in the name of ORGANIZATION :lol:

I am trying to get the 4 kids' binders ready for the first 10 weeks of school - I don't know how you ladies do it that put together their whole year - many props to you!!

I am a scanning machine! Sitting here typing on my laptop while scanning - page by tedious page - our daily grams books on our office computer.

At least I can read all of your wonderful posts while I do it :lurk5:

I feel your pain! I was up until late trying to get our mac to "communicate" with the printer after having scanned I don't know how many pages. I mean, it is not just the time you spend scanning but the printing/troubleshooting as well. Especially as some books are a bit thick and scanning the whole page is impossible :banghead:

I don't know how some mums can do the whole year in advance. I love my dh but he thinks I can sit down whip up a yearly schedule (plus printables) in a couple of hours. :tongue_smilie: He seemed genuinely surprised I am still scanning (apparently we started school this week).

Think. Would you be better off using the pages of the books and then filing them away? Or do you feel you have to have the pages done in advance to have peace of mind? It is not what you do in the name of organisation. Do what works for you. IM (very) HO.

But if you feel what you are doing is what you want to do, go ahead. Have a cup of tea -or something stronger. Rip pages away with gusto. Kick back and enjoy the scanning. The time you are spending in front of your pc is probably the same most mums spend taking the kids to and back from school. At least you get to browse the internet. :D

I have my whole year planned. I will print a few extra things as we go. I copied one workbook because it was more expensive to repurchase for the next child than I was to copy. I am using the others as constables because the cost in time, paper, and toner is more than the cost of a new workbook for the next kiddo. That is why I am able to be ready for the year. I have downloads saved to my computer and wil print what I need weekly.

I don't scan the workbook. I take them to our local copy place (like a kinkos) and have them cut off my binding for me, photocopy it and then put a spiral binding on the work book. I put the spiral binding across the top (as someone on the board pointed out that it is easier for writing.

I then take my pages home, and what I am currently doing is sorting it into a 9 week book. Along with things that I have printed from teacher file box, and my story of the world activity book that I just bought as an pdf (so cheaper and already scanned. They I will take that back and have that bound so we have a 9 week workbook. It cost more (about $1.20 per spiral binding. With the photocopying and binding they do, they cut my spines off for free.

That's how some of us do it, none of us are supermoms, we all have our shortcuts. :lol:

I only have 1 child, so I have never had to scan and copy, but I imagine it would be a pain to scan all workbooks (even if copyright allows it). Far easier to buy PDFs whenever possible.

Also, I am surprised that it is cheaper to scan, print and bind some workbook than it is to buy another one. I assume it is the shipping that is increasing the cost.

To the OP: do consider buying PDFs whenever possible. Even if the cost of the PDF is the same as that of the printed book, you will save shipping and a whole lot of time and effort :-)

I wouldn't scan my workbooks. That's a lot more work than I'm willing to put in, even for organization (and I'm very organized about my school stuff). I do cut up my workbooks and spiral bind them (Proclick). If I needed to make extra copies, I'd probably just take them to a copy shop, but the price difference between that and buying a new workbook would have to be big enough to make it worth it. If it were a $30 workbook, yes I'd have it copied. If the workbook is $10 or less, I'll just buy a new one for the next kid.

I also get PDFs when possible, and I have a laser printer now. So far, I've never had to even make copies of a workbook.

I also can't guarantee that I'll use the same curriculum with the next kids. I'd hate to go through the trouble of scanning a 100 page workbook (that I bought for $10) only to find out that the next kid is using a different curriculum. :tongue_smilie:

I tore apart all my workbooks, but I didn't scan or copy one thing. I had one of two solutions. If the begining of the next week's lesson is on the back of a page, I just shifted my week. For example, I have a spelling workbook that has the next week's list on the back of the present week's last page. I just have ds start the new list on Friday and finish by the next Thursday. I didn't have to copy any of it. If it's just part of another lesson that I can't shift like that, I write move to "x" folder and highlight it to remind myself.

Here's where I posted how I do my binder for him. I filed the whole school year this summer. I take out a week's folder and file it for the entire week in a project manager binder. It's going very well.

Edited by mom31257