Menu

If not red ink, then what color?

Recent threads indicated that some children/people cringe when they see corrections in red ink. Because of this, some said they don't use red to correct their children's papers. So what color do you use for corrections then?

I just asked my kids, and both of them denied corrections in red bother them. My daughter, in fact, thought it was the strangest question she's ever been asked.

So, do I buy red pens?

Recent threads indicated that some children/people cringe when they see corrections in red ink. Because of this, some said they don't use red to correct their children's papers. So what color do you use for corrections then?

So, do I buy red pens?

I use red pencil. I can see it better, and I want to make a point. Red is primal IMO. Blood is red, thus stop signs, etc. Perhaps it is just cultural (I have not researched this) but red gets my (Western) attention. Kiddo, too.

(And how I loved padding downstairs at 2 a.m., seeing a light on, and my father at the walnut table, grading papers, his red fountain pen in hand and his soft, patient, old Red Skelton face in the soft circle of light.)

Buy whatever you want, if the kids don't mind it! I like to use pencil, myself, so I can go over with my daughter what she needs to fix, and then erase my marks.

One time, I was showing my ex-school-teacher aunt some of my daughter's schoolwork, my very first year homeschooling, and my aunt apparently saw a thing or two on a written paper that she didn't think was right or good enough or whatever, and she actually got out a red pen and was about to make a correction on the paper! I had to ask her to please NOT write on my daughter's paper. Can you imagine?!

I use whatever is near - sometimes red, sometimes green - it just needs to be a different color than DS did his work in!

I just asked him if he had a preference - he said he liked green on his papers best, but his favorite color is red, so that's okay too if I want to use red still!

In college when we got back papers covered in red ink, we used to say the prof was "bleeding" on our papers. So when I taught school, I always used a happy green pen--Uniball Micro, to be precise. :D It showed up against pencil or blue or black ink. Plus, no one could accuse me of "bleeding" on their paper...unless I was Martian...or Vulcan... :lol:

Ds and I just had this discussion. Previously, I've used whatever I had handy. This year he requested I use the same color all the time, he didn't care which. I have green pens, but I might want to use those for something more cheerful than corrections. We agreed on red, so I bought a cheap package.

Previously he had never expressed a preference.

I use a set of Crayola thin markers and the color depends on the subject. Subjects are color coded with stickers on their books and sections in their "big binders" for completed work, so it makes it easy for them to get their papers in the correct section - just match the colors. Red is for LA but it is just another color.

I prefer red. I don't think the other colors show up as well (especially since DD is starting use pen instead of pencil for some subjects). However, it always seems I can't find a red pen, so I'll use whatever is handy.

My kids don't care. I think the whole idea of avoiding red is a bit ridiculous.

I just use what ever color I can get without being blue or black,

Usually green or purple is in the box now.

I also some times I circle things instead of marking with an x.

When I taught school I did check off the correct answers instead of marking the wrong ones.

I don't put any thought into this at all LOL.

For math and worksheet stuff, I don't mark any right or wrong - I just write at the top how many were missed, and it's up to him to figure out which they are. For writing and papers I'll just grab any handy writing utensil (sometimes it's a pencil straight out of the kid's hand, sometimes a Sharpie or a grease pen or a highlighter, who knows and anything goes) and I asterik areas we need to work on; then we talk about those areas. I usually show him an area with the asterik, and expect him to tell me why I marked it and what about it needs fixing.

I sincerely didn't realize that pen color corrections were an issue for some people. My kid would be thrilled with a red color correction because it'd mean I did all the hard work for him :lol:. I learn so much on the internets!

I just asked my kids, and both of them denied corrections in red bother them. My daughter, in fact, thought it was the strangest question she's ever been asked.

So, do I buy red pens?

Green is the color of change :D

Since dd is only going into 2nd grade, I don't use pens at all at this point; I use the little post-it tab stickers (something like these).

Dd is a perfectionist, and nothing makes her happier than ripping off the stickers and seeing a clean, correction-free sheet. (Okay, so doing it perfectly the first time makes her happier. But this is a close second, as long as I don't have to use too many.)

So, do I buy red pens?

Mine like the contrast of red, and often correct in it themselves. Use what you like is my motto. Today, I think the old stereotype of a heartless teacher (or the person sitting behind you) crushing your ego is a thing of the past.

is this another thing that will damage the kids pshche forever?:glare: PLEASE!!!!

If some kids are truly bothered by it, then maybe I'd make a change. I've schooled four kids now and not one has ever been bothered by it. Now all too often someone removes my red pen and I have to use black (I don't know why blue pens are scarce around here!) but *I* need the red ink to make it stand out more. My kids could use help, too. Having two with ADD, red ink is helpful to make it stand out more. Even then, ADD kids will still overlook. Black ink? dd11 will not even correct ANYTHING and then not understand when I tell her to go over it again.:glare:

I use my red correction pencil. So far 2 out of 3 don't really care (4th is still too early to tell). That other one though, wow, a good way to send him into one of his high spirited meltdowns is to mark something wrong on his paper no matter the color. Needless to say, he HAS to be allowed to erase the marking after he corrects it. Depending on his attitude about being wrong, I normally let him, sometimes though he needs a reality check that at 7 he really doesn't know everything and I make him keep them marked wrong.

I have a negative association with red ink so I use purple to correct my college student's papers/tests. I'm sure I will do the same with my hs'ed students when the time arrives. I use a thin point purple or pink sharpie mostly. I had a fellow prof tell me that she uses green for "go".

I have a negative association with red ink so I use purple to correct my college student's papers/tests. I'm sure I will do the same with my hs'ed students when the time arrives.

I quoted texasmama because she was just the most recent post, but my question is for everyone.

Is it the color red, or just what we have grown, as adults, to associate it with? In other words, will texasmama's kids grow up not liking the color of purple ink? Will there be a similar discussion 10 - 15 years from now on whether you should really use purple ink to grade or if it should be a different color (like red)?

I guess I'm asking, is it actually something about the color red? Or is it just that it really bothers us to see that we made mistakes or errors on our papers and that is what discouraged us, and is discouraging our kids.

I quoted texasmama because she was just the most recent post, but my question is for everyone.

Is it the color red, or just what we have grown, as adults, to associate it with? In other words, will texasmama's kids grow up not liking the color of purple ink? Will there be a similar discussion 10 - 15 years from now on whether you should really use purple ink to grade or if it should be a different color (like red)?

I guess I'm asking, is it actually something about the color red? Or is it just that it really bothers us to see that we made mistakes or errors on our papers and that is what discouraged us, and is discouraging our kids.

Since you quoted me, I will answer.:D

I think my kids may very well grow up to dislike purple sharpies.;) I like purple so I use purple. My kids may prefer red at some point. I might even ask them what color they prefer remarks/corrections/etc to be made in. I don't really mind so whatever works for them is fine by me.:001_smile:

Contrasting colored pencil, although I'll use whatever is around in a pinch. I like colored pencil because I can erase the circle later-DD likes having clean pages.

DD picked out a set of glittery gel pens as part of her school supplies to use in editing. She absolutely LOVES finding other people's mistakes :).

When I taught in college I used a fountain pen with peacock blue ink, which stood out plenty in most situations. It took no time at all for my students to start groaning about how much they were coming to fear peacock blue ink. I had heard the "no red ink" idea and so I found this terribly amusing.

I really don't do much correcting at all. Usually after he finishes work he did independently, we sit down and go over it together. If there's an error, we talk through it. That's pretty much it.

With my college students, I use whatever pen I have, usually blue or black.

I use a yellow highlighter to mark the kid's papers. Most of them don't mind. It draws their attention immediately and then can fix the errors and be on their way.

However, it drives my oldest ds batty! He hates the yellow highlighter - or marks of any kind on his papers. I have to correct using light pencil marks and then help him find the errors (b/c he can't see the marks!). Then erase the marks when he makes the corrections. He wants to delude himself into thinking he's perfect.

Now, that drives me batty!

I use a yellow highlighter to mark the kid's papers. Most of them don't mind. It draws their attention immediately and then can fix the errors and be on their way.

However, it drives my oldest ds batty! He hates the yellow highlighter - or marks of any kind on his papers. I have to correct using light pencil marks and then help him find the errors (b/c he can't see the marks!). Then erase the marks when he makes the corrections. He wants to delude himself into thinking he's perfect.

Now, that drives me batty!

As a side note: When I edit in pencil, I make a small dash at the beginning of the line to help me see where the edits are. They know to look for the dashes to identify which lines to review.