Menu

Old movie favorites - Waking Ned Devine and Full Monty...

If you liked those two movies, can you recommend some other favorites? Those were some favorites long ago, and I'd love to find some other movies that are similarly funny. I looked through netflix "if you like that, you'll also like this..."

Any suggestions? I love creating new movie lists for DH and I, after the kids go to bed :)

Those are both movies we own... and Full Monty quotes occur around here...

We just re-watched Milagro Beanfield War today. It's American rather than British, but it has some of the same flavor.

Brassed Off is a possibility.

A Room With a View is a period piece but also great fun.

For sitcoms: As Time Goes By is one of my favorites.

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, is another favorite here... although some may find it inappropriate :) I love the costumes.

Calendar Girls (although my husband says it may be too depressing).

Have seen a lot of these so far, and agree with most! I haven't seen the tv show As Time Goes By so I'll have to check that out.

Some other movies I have really enjoyed in the past - Bend it Like Beckham, Bread and Tulips (subtitled I believe).

My blog is a movie blog so I went to find one there for you and discovered that while Waking Ned Devine is one of my all time favorite movies and I really liked The Full Monty, not a single film that I have on my blog falls into this category!!!

IMHO good comedies are the hardest kind of movies to come by because it is so easy to err on the side of stupid.

The best I can offer you at the moment is The Cosby Show which is currently on Netflix instant viewing. Not within any of your perimeters but still good for a quick laugh.

OH WAIT!! I just thought of one Greenfingers with Clive Owen and Helen Miran is a HOOT! Exactly in the right category too.

Kinky Boots

Local Hero

That Sinking Feeling

Gregory's Girl

Made in Dagenham

Happy-Go-Lucky

Everything Is Illuminated

Mary And Max

Dear Frankie

Fido

In Bruges

Muriel's Wedding

Cosi

I just added a bunch more to my future watch list - thanks! I love Toni Collete. She has done so many different characters. She is also in a Showtime series The United States of Tara. I also love About A Boy. And I love Dear Frankie - that was a great movie!

The commitments

Isn't the whole premise of thr Full Monty nudity?! ;)

Lol, yes, clearly that kind of thing doesn't offend me :tongue_smilie:

I think one of the funniest scenes in any movie, ever, is the one in Waking Ned Devine, where he's riding down the road naked on a motorcycle. I remember seeing that one in a little Indie theatre and almost peeing my pants.

What about Benny and Joon? Ok there's not really a lot obviously in common except the somewhat wacky characters. I think that's my favorite Johnny Depp movie (I'm not a huge fan like the rest of y'all on here, but he does look cute in this one).

Also how about some of the screwball comedies from the 30s/40s like His Girl Friday or Bringing Up Baby? They're awfully fun. http://www.classicfilmpreview.com/top-screwball-comedies/

That on is funny. A Mighty Wind is made by the same people and is just as good.

Thank you. And I've bookmarked your fabulous blog. :D

And a favorite Brit sit-com is One Foot in the Grave-- oh and Mr. Bean, classic.;)

Yes.

We also love Vicar of Dibley, Waiting for God, and Ab Fab.

I was ridiculously ill this weekend (flu?) and therefore stayed in bed all of Saturday. When I wasn't sleeping, I watched a few movies on Netflix OnDemand. I watched Saving Grace (Loved it!!!) and Four Weddings and a Funeral (also really good as I'm a Hugh Grant fan). I'm going back over this list for more ideas. It was nice to be able to chill out with a few movies on a Saturday (even though I felt like death was on my door). It was the rare treat that made being sick a teensy bit more bearable.

Cold Comfort Farm. -- Ian McKellan, Eileen Atkins, Stephen Fry, Rufus Sewell. So many great quotes from this movie -- "something nasty in the woodshed," etc. One of my favorites: Ian McKellan saying: "Seth, drain the well ... there's a neighbour missin'. "

Strictly Ballroom. -- quirky Australian movie; very sweet.

(BTW I LOVE Hot Fuzz -- just re-watched it -- Bend It Like Beckham, and Ned Devine. So these should be right up your alley!)

Great thread :)

~Laura

It can be so hard to find good funny :-) I call this list 'Old, but see them if you haven't.'

Calendar Girls

My Cousin Vinny

Ruthless People -"I've been kidnapped by K-mart!"

The Catherine Tate show is streaming on Netflix. Also, if you haven't worked your way through "Better Off Ted" that's funny too.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Thought of another one -- Gosford Park. Not a comedy -- more of a murder mystery -- but with extremely funny scenes and situations (along with tragic ones). Stephen Fry with a wonderful cameo; Eileen Atkins ("doesn't - eat - meat?!?!"); plus a truckload of other awesome actors, including Michael Gambon, Kristin Scott Thomas, Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, Maggie Smith, Kelly Macdonald, etc., etc.

Speaking of Kristin Scott Thomas, you might like Easy Virtue. Also has Colin Firth (!). Set in the 1920s, based on a Noël Coward play. Wonderful!

Shockingly violent (out of character for me) and heaps of bad language, but In Bruges had me alternately laughing out loud and sobbing. Colin Farrell is good and Brendan Gleeson is AMAZING. ("A lollipop man who knows karate?!") Haunting ...

Edited by Laura in CA
typos from posting using my iPad!