Menu

Just found baby bunnies in the yard, need advice on how to care for them

Dh was just outside mowing the lawn, he hasn't mowed in awhile since it's been so hot and dry. The grass along the back edges of the house is pretty tall. As he was mowing through it he saw a little baby bunny jump out.

We put in a shoebox for now and the kids are adoring it. But it's home is pretty much destroyed by the lawn mower. We can't leave it long against the house so I don't know where to leave it. We have woods, but something will probably eat it back there. I see 'adult' bunnies around our yard quite a bit, so I'm wondering if the mama bunny will come back soon for her baby.

I don't know the first thing about how to care for it. Can anyone give me some advice please?

This happened to us once when dh was using a backhoe in the yard, but it was the whole nest, with 3 babies. I called a vet, who put me in touch with volunteers who take care of orphaned wild animals. Although they also told me that when the bunnies are furry and can hop around, they are just about to leave the nest! IOW, if they aren't hairless or with closed eyes, they have about the same chance in this world they would have had if the nest had never been discovered.

All the same, I left them with the volunteers.

Just agreeing with Danielle - we've had this happen several times and all of our research has shown to just let them go - if they were able to hop out of the nest, they are probably ready to fend for themselves. They only stay in the nest for a very short time.

My dog found a bunny nest once......killed two of the bunnies and ravaged the nest. I removed the dead ones and sort of refluffed the nest with the remaining bunnies securely inside. Than we left them alone. Overnight the Mom must have come and moved them....no sign of more trauma... just babies removed.

I would try to rehome them back to where they came out of and just wait... but that's just me. Otherwise, a wildlife rehabilitator would be my recommendation.

Dh was just outside mowing the lawn, he hasn't mowed in awhile since it's been so hot and dry. The grass along the back edges of the house is pretty tall. As he was mowing through it he saw a little baby bunny jump out.

We put in a shoebox for now and the kids are adoring it. But it's home is pretty much destroyed by the lawn mower. We can't leave it long against the house so I don't know where to leave it. We have woods, but something will probably eat it back there. I see 'adult' bunnies around our yard quite a bit, so I'm wondering if the mama bunny will come back soon for her baby.

I don't know the first thing about how to care for it. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Put it back. Even if the nest is destroyed, put it NEAR the nest, and the mother will find it.

My cat graced me with a newborn cotton tail (less than 3 inches long with umbilical still attached) a few years ago. I had to bottle feed it for a few weeks, acclimate it to the outdoors and after a few weeks released it. I think the odds for the newborn bunny's survival was 5%. He made it-- many others did not.

If your buns eyes are open, its ears stand up and you can see front teeth-- then it will be just fine if you release it.

Baby bunnies are FRAGILE-- their necks/backs break so easily...try not to let the desire to 'hold and pet' it take over-- it is better off without human contact!

Thanks everyone! We put the bunny back close to where DH found it. He tried to make a little nest for it since it's original one was mowed away.

It did start thundering and down pouring here so we haven't been able to go check on it.

I hope it's mama came back and found it. That little bunny was just so darn cute!!