Menu

I realized today that my kids

I have those kids, too!! :D

For us, at least, they have started to grow out of it. We practiced and practiced, and repeated rules over and over and over. It never made a lick of difference until they just got old enough to understand and had the ability to control their wiggles.

Our kids have never been rude, but they have certainly been spirited. As they've gotten older (you know, the ripe old ages of 7 & 5 ;)) it has gotten loads better.

Just keep repeating what you expect and giving them opportunities to practice it where they won't get in trouble for not doing it right :)

I think some kid's energy levels just go up when they're in a new setting with a bunch of people. My kids are actually well behaved when they know what to expect, but they get "excited", noisy, and squirrelly in big groups, especially with new people. We're actually almost grown out of this phase. I wonder if it's an extroverted trait? My kids have both developed to be pretty extroverted and they're both high energy. I do have high expectations and we do practice. Some situations just seem to be harder than others for my particular breed of kid.

Hang in there! My oldest has no issues with this anymore and my younger is only occasionally embarrassing to take in public. ;)

Maybe this will make you feel better:

I took DS and the new baby to a pool party today at a friend's house. DS would NOT STOP turning the hose on and off and then, when he finally got it that he wasn't allowed to do that, bugging me and the hostess about turning the water back on. Then when he realized that his pestering wasn't going to get the water turned back on, he threw a bucket of water on me and my friend who had us over!

So I said he was leaving, and he refused to get out of the pool. I had to call my DH to come drag him out of the pool and carry him home. He was yelling and splashing and being a brat the whole time I was waiting (luckily we just live down the street, so it only took DH five minutes to get there).

I was mortified. I most certainly have "that kid."

Yes, we went over the rules before we went into the building. We also went over consequences, which is why we left.

eta: Apparently my eyeball isn't hairy enough. :D

Exactly what I would have done. They have to understand the consequences & consistency is very important. :grouphug:

are "those" kids. You know, the ones you look at and give thanks that they're not yours. The ones that you're convinced have been raised by wild animals. They're almost never in a position where they have to be both still and quiet. I took them to a community event today and left almost immediately with my head hung low and completely embarrassed. Dd8 was fine. I'm convinced that dd5 does not have a "quiet voice", and has apparently never been taught to sit in a chair correctly. :001_huh: She was whining about where she had to sit, tipping the chair over, scooting it back and forth, etc... And the 2 year old, forget it.

I marched them to the car, completely lost it, drove them home, and placed them in 3 chairs (dd8 asked to participate, go figure). I turned on some classical music and made them sit both still and quiet for 15 minutes. About 10 minutes in, even ds2 figured it out and stopped getting up.

So, give me your secrets. How do you get your dc to sit so still and nicely? :bigear:

FWIW, I think you handled the situation well - leaving when they wouldn't sit still. At least I think so, since I've done the same in that situation. :tongue_smilie: I've even brought them home and made them sit on chairs. I also tell the kids that Mommy doesn't have much energy and if I have to "deal with them" in addition to organizing an outing, getting ready to go, driving, etc. then it is just too much work for me.

Maybe this will make you feel better:

I took DS and the new baby to a pool party today at a friend's house. DS would NOT STOP turning the hose on and off and then, when he finally got it that he wasn't allowed to do that, bugging me and the hostess about turning the water back on. Then when he realized that his pestering wasn't going to get the water turned back on, he threw a bucket of water on me and my friend who had us over!

So I said he was leaving, and he refused to get out of the pool. I had to call my DH to come drag him out of the pool and carry him home. He was yelling and splashing and being a brat the whole time I was waiting (luckily we just live down the street, so it only took DH five minutes to get there).

I was mortified. I most certainly have "that kid."

I think MOST kids do *something* that really jumps over the line once or twice. :grouphug:

are "those" kids. You know, the ones you look at and give thanks that they're not yours. The ones that you're convinced have been raised by wild animals. They're almost never in a position where they have to be both still and quiet. I took them to a community event today and left almost immediately with my head hung low and completely embarrassed. Dd8 was fine. I'm convinced that dd5 does not have a "quiet voice", and has apparently never been taught to sit in a chair correctly. :001_huh: She was whining about where she had to sit, tipping the chair over, scooting it back and forth, etc... And the 2 year old, forget it.

I marched them to the car, completely lost it, drove them home, and placed them in 3 chairs (dd8 asked to participate, go figure). I turned on some classical music and made them sit both still and quiet for 15 minutes. About 10 minutes in, even ds2 figured it out and stopped getting up.

So, give me your secrets. How do you get your dc to sit so still and nicely? :bigear:

Maybe your 2yo and my 2yo are long lost twins. We had the doctor visit from he!!. He was running around like a crazy maniac. Would not cooperate. Just would.not.be.still. Or quiet. The doctor actually told him to use his inside voice.

Umm....he doesn't really know what that means. He's been raised by wild animals. Feel free to talk about my poor parenting when we leave. :)

I asked doc if it was too early to diagnose him with ADHD, half kidding. She said some children are anxious in new environments and act out due to their anxiety.

O.K. He's anxious. I'll go with that. :D

I think you did exactly the right thing. I'm convinced that the reason I can take my kids *anywhere* now (and have been able to for a number of years) is because when they were small, I *did* scoop them up and carry them out of places when they couldn't behave. And, yes, as others have said, practice and high expectations. Practice, high expectations, consistency, and follow-through. And, of course, praise them when they do behave -- let them know how happy and proud you are that you *can* take them places...

It's embarrassing to carry a small one out of somewhere because they're behaving inappropriately. ... It's *fantastic* to be able to go sit somewhere with your very-slightly-older ones and know they're prepared to behave in an appropriate manner no matter where you go. It's worth the investment. It makes taking them places so much more fun. :)