Menu

main reason you homeschool?

We allow our children to have a home-based childhood because we believe that they learn best with home at the core. They are nurtured and encouraged by their parents, each other (siblings), and extended family (grandparents, cousins) to a greater extent than if they were gone most of the day. We felt that with traditional schooling, there was neither time for rigor, nor relaxed learning -- it was all frenetic and ineffective. At home, the children are able to apply themselves with greater focus, and yet have hours upon hours in which to play.

Plus, we like having them around to do chores. (Snort).

Edited by Sahamamama

I initially pulled my daughter out of PS for socialization issues. I adopted her at the age of 9 after suffering horrible years of neglect and abuse. She never learned how to be a part of a group, how to make friends, or even attach and trust anyone. She had no friends in PS. I pulled her so I could be her 24/7 teacher in all situations. I put her into situations where she would have to learn to trust me and I taught her how to socialize properly with other people.

Secondary was academics. I was not concerned about academics because her grades were always good. When I pulled her I had her tested and found her to be about two grade levels below where she should be. So much for all those "B's" she got in school. She will be starting 11th grade next month and I just had her tested again, and she is on "13+" grade level now. After this year she will have enough credits to graduate early. She has learned how to properly socialize with other kids and has a small circle of close friends now. I couldn't be happier with our homeschool experience and the progress she has made academically and socially.

We were thinking of letting her to go public school next year for 12th grade. Technically she would already be done with high school (credit wise) but socially we think letting her go for 12th and be able to go to the Prom and Graduation with her friends will be good for her. We will make that decision at the end of this school year. If it doesn't work out then we can pull her and issue her a homeschool diploma.

I would say the number one reason is freedom. My DH and I found being at the beck and call of the public school system chaffing to say the least. We like to travel and a structured school environment really put a crimp in that. The second reason is that we are able to individualize his education, he is no longer stuck in a classroom that is teaching to lowest common denominator. The third reason is we are hoping he will see other possibilities than just getting a degree and a job. We would like him to create, to invest, to do and hopefully be the one signing the paychecks of others, not waiting to receive one.

Number one reason is that I can raise my children up in the way they should go. I don't like when people say 'religious'...b/c I do not consider my faith to be a religiosity...my faith permeates every action I take...to honor my Lord I must seek wisdom, understanding and yearn to be more Christ-like...to me that mission statement and homeschooling go hand in hand. It's not just about growing believers, but growing them well.

Because I'm their mom, I love them, I want to spend time with them and not give them away for the best part of their lives to some stranger to bring them up. That was the reason in the beginning 23 years ago when my family first began but now I have a million different reasons. Nearly all have been posted on my blog.

:iagree: That's it completely.

Because I'm their mom, I love them, I want to spend time with them and not give them away for the best part of their lives to some stranger to bring them up. That was the reason in the beginning 23 years ago when my family first began but now I have a million different reasons. Nearly all have been posted on my blog.

:iagree:, except change "them" to "him" (I have an only). I can't imagine sending him off everyday. Likewise, I too have added additional reasons why homeschooling is a better choice, but this remains number one.:001_smile:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm curious as to main reason you homeschool at this time.

Well it changes and varies based on what is going on in our lives. At this time I am homeschooling for academic reasons, and to prevent my special needs kids from falling through the cracks.

We are going into our 6th year and I have to say my reason is not always the same but the undercurrent of it is. I love my kids, and I want what's best for them and feel homeschooling is what is best at this time. The reasons that come to mind at any given time are not at the root of it, that is.

Academic reasons mostly. We feel that no matter how good a school is, there are just some things about a classroom environment that has disadvantages. It's just almost impossible to let each child go at his own pace. How do you handle ten kids at ten different levels? Or twenty, or thirty? Also, we like the idea of catering to each child's learning style. But again, how do you do that in a classroom full of children? Do you try to teach every single lesson in four or five different ways? Exhausting. :) Still, there are advantages to the classroom environment as well (collaborative projects, learning from people different from you, etc.) We had our children in a private school and if we could have continued to afford it, I'm sure we would have. Still, we are discovering things all the time that we like about homeschooling. Today is our first day of this year and I'm so much more organized this year (thanks to this board really), and we're having lots of fun already and my kids are very excited about the year. I love the energy that you have at the start of the year. :) I like the freedom to choose subjects. My third grader asked to study Greek this year in addition to Latin, so we are. We have two writing programs this year because I feel we should approach it in different ways.