Menu

Wondering...

The years that DS was in school, and the year I tried to impose a schedule and use textbooks and require a lot of traditional “output†in our homeschool, he responded very much the way you say your son does: didn’t want to discuss what he was reading, didn’t want any drawing to be “school-related,†etc. Not in a disobedient or defiant way, just in a this-is-torture sort of way. Since the “school†stuff was so intensely “schooly,†it was something he just wanted to get over with as soon as possible with minimal involvement, and then he wanted his free time to be entirely his. He didn’t want any “educational†activities or demands beyond the absolute minimum he had to produce.

Yes exactly, this is so my ds right now. I can see from your post that a lot of the things your son does is self-driven. It gives me a lot of hope for my ds. He has always been a boy with varied interests but I am yet to see any drive or passion. Thanks so much Jackie for taking the time to detail out your methods - each of your posts is a treasure trove of information for homeschoolers.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry. I did misunderstand what you were saying.

FWIW, though, I don't think a sub-forum for older students w/LDs would work. I think that the homeschooling high school population is already so small, that those w/disabilities doing it at home is a very small #. Posting it to the general high school board actually gives the benefit of many different perspectives. Some may be way off, but some may be very insightful. Whereas if you posted it questions to an LD board, the number of posters would be so minimal that the experiences would be limited. Does that make any sense?

I'm going to try to jump in real quick in the 20 minutes I have before we start lessons and address your last post to me via this one! I hope I make any sense at all! Reece is resuming ballet class today after a year off and she was up all night last night brimming over with excitement. Should be really helpful considering the reason we took her out of ballet class last year was because she didn't have any emotional control - being tired is really going to help. LOL

The reason I don't post much on the high school board asking for help about Austin is because just reading the high school board is so completely overwhelming and disheartening. There is a current thread right now (and one seems to come up every month or so) about how a 4 year degree is essential for success in this economy. How you can't even get in the door without one. And here am I trying to homeschool my kid for whom everything is so hard - the very basics that most everyone else's kids did in 6th or 7th grade, it seems. I feel completely inept and absolutely terrified.

I can read posts about following a child's interests and using that to make credits, but I don't know where to begin. My brain doesn't WORK that way. And I have 2 other kids, including another one with more severe special needs. There is only so much of me to go around. I tended to let my NT daughter "teach herself" and I ended up with her test scores falling by 10-20 points this past year, because all SHE wants to do is become a professional dancer and sees no purpose in math or reading or history or science (or anything but dance). Most days I am just trying to get through the lessons and hope someone learns something, and maybe they will be able to remember it tomorrow.

And I don't disagree with folks who say you need a 4 year degree now. My husband is 42 and has topped out at his job - he has no degree and he has no desire to get one. I have been looking for a part-time job for 6 months, but I have a teaching degree and have not worked for 15 years. I can't get anyone to call me back at all.

But it's just hard to feel like anyone has anything to offer that is remotely helpful. I was going to use SWB's Ancients book for Austin this year but was told it was too hard for a 15 year old with LDs. But nobody offered any other suggestions. The ancients books on Ambleside are designed for middle schoolers, and I don't want to be guilty of dumbing-down our curriculum. So I'm just lost. I don't know which way to turn or what to do. Sometimes folks suggest spending extra years doing high school. He will NOT agree to that - his younger sister is 3 years younger and 2 grade levels behind. Because we held him back once he will already be 19 when he graduates (actually he'll be 18 and 11.5 months because I've agreed to do his graduation in early May, 2 weeks before his birthday). He's already so upset that the guys he knows that are 15 are 10th graders this year and he isn't. Perhaps that's not the best way to handle it, but you know Aspies.

My mind just went completely blank. I had a point, I'm sure I did. But now it's gone. I wasn't just ranting. Maybe it'll come back to me later on - gotta get to the table now and start another glorious day of lessons. LOL

The reason I don't post much on the high school board asking for help about Austin is because just reading the high school board is so completely overwhelming and disheartening.

:grouphug:

I can read posts about following a child's interests and using that to make credits, but I don't know where to begin. My brain doesn't WORK that way. And I have 2 other kids, including another one with more severe special needs. There is only so much of me to go around. I tended to let my NT daughter "teach herself" and I ended up with her test scores falling by 10-20 points this past year, because all SHE wants to do is become a professional dancer and sees no purpose in math or reading or history or science (or anything but dance).

Could you let her history be focused more around art/dance/music? Could she do anatomy & physiology for science? That would be relevant to a dancer. Why don't you talk to her about what kinds of things she would like to study, and then ask (probably on the Logic board) for suggestions for putting a course together? It's not as hard as you might think to put together a course tailored to a student's interests.

But it's just hard to feel like anyone has anything to offer that is remotely helpful. I was going to use SWB's Ancients book for Austin this year but was told it was too hard for a 15 year old with LDs. But nobody offered any other suggestions. The ancients books on Ambleside are designed for middle schoolers, and I don't want to be guilty of dumbing-down our curriculum. So I'm just lost. I don't know which way to turn or what to do.

Have you looked at K12's Human Odyssey? It's a 3-volume series that they use for 7th-9th grade, but it can be used in HS, too. The information is presented in a really interesting and engaging way, without being "dumbed down" (I really dislike that phrase, because it tends to make parents, who are trying really hard to meet their kids where they're at, feel like crap). Several people have combined that with the Oxford series on The Ancient World, and I think there's even a schedule floating around somewhere. Do you have Netflix? They have tons of documentaries on ancient history. If you have access to Teaching Co courses through your library, there are some great courses for Ancients.

Jackie

I'm going to try to jump in real quick in the 20 minutes I have before we start lessons and address your last post to me via this one! I hope I make any sense at all! Reece is resuming ballet class today after a year off and she was up all night last night brimming over with excitement. Should be really helpful considering the reason we took her out of ballet class last year was because she didn't have any emotional control - being tired is really going to help. LOL

The reason I don't post much on the high school board asking for help about Austin is because just reading the high school board is so completely overwhelming and disheartening. There is a current thread right now (and one seems to come up every month or so) about how a 4 year degree is essential for success in this economy. How you can't even get in the door without one. And here am I trying to homeschool my kid for whom everything is so hard - the very basics that most everyone else's kids did in 6th or 7th grade, it seems. I feel completely inept and absolutely terrified.

I can read posts about following a child's interests and using that to make credits, but I don't know where to begin. My brain doesn't WORK that way. And I have 2 other kids, including another one with more severe special needs. There is only so much of me to go around. I tended to let my NT daughter "teach herself" and I ended up with her test scores falling by 10-20 points this past year, because all SHE wants to do is become a professional dancer and sees no purpose in math or reading or history or science (or anything but dance). Most days I am just trying to get through the lessons and hope someone learns something, and maybe they will be able to remember it tomorrow.

And I don't disagree with folks who say you need a 4 year degree now. My husband is 42 and has topped out at his job - he has no degree and he has no desire to get one. I have been looking for a part-time job for 6 months, but I have a teaching degree and have not worked for 15 years. I can't get anyone to call me back at all.

But it's just hard to feel like anyone has anything to offer that is remotely helpful. I was going to use SWB's Ancients book for Austin this year but was told it was too hard for a 15 year old with LDs. But nobody offered any other suggestions. The ancients books on Ambleside are designed for middle schoolers, and I don't want to be guilty of dumbing-down our curriculum. So I'm just lost. I don't know which way to turn or what to do. Sometimes folks suggest spending extra years doing high school. He will NOT agree to that - his younger sister is 3 years younger and 2 grade levels behind. Because we held him back once he will already be 19 when he graduates (actually he'll be 18 and 11.5 months because I've agreed to do his graduation in early May, 2 weeks before his birthday). He's already so upset that the guys he knows that are 15 are 10th graders this year and he isn't. Perhaps that's not the best way to handle it, but you know Aspies.

My mind just went completely blank. I had a point, I'm sure I did. But now it's gone. I wasn't just ranting. Maybe it'll come back to me later on - gotta get to the table now and start another glorious day of lessons. LOL

You have a lot on you w/3 very high needs children. :grouphug:

I only have a minute, so I can't respond as thoroughly as I would like, but I did want to suggest perhaps not looking at what homeschoolers typically use. I wouldn't worry about whether or not the materials seem basic compared to others b/c the issue is only how the materials match up to his abilities. I think that is what we have to always weigh when we choose materials. Materials that are inaccessible to our student aren't going to provide a good education.

Have you ever seen Walch's Power Basics? They are designed for struggling learners. The publisher's site has lots of online samples that you could look through to see if they might work w/your ds's level of ability. http://walch.com/power-basics-text-books/ (the only ones I have actually seen are the world history books. They are written in remedial language, but the books are actually implemented in public high schools for struggling students. They focus on the key pts of topics w/o giving all of the details.)

Here is a brief description of how the courses are designed:

Power Basics ® is a complete textbook program

designed to meet the needs of students who are

daunted by the length and complexity of traditional

textbooks. The goal of all textbook programs is to

provide students with important new information.

However, in traditional textbook programs, this goal

is often overshadowed by other considerations. Many

textbooks are written for the above-average reader

and cover a wide range of content. They are filled

with photographs, illustrations, and other visual

elements. For some students, the amount of material

is overpowering, the visual elements are distracting,

and the rapid pace is unnerving. In Power Basics ®, we

revisited the basic goal, developing a streamlined

textbook program that presents the essential content

students need to succeed.

If they appeal to you at all, Christian Books sells them at a much cheaper price http://www.christianbook.com/power-basics-world-history-1/9780825161278/pd/161274?item_code=WW&netp_id=452896&event=ESRCG&view=details

I have to get back to teaching, but I just really want you to encourage you to really look outside what others are using to find resources that fit Austin and nobody else. :grouphug:

ETA: Ok, I'm finished for the day and wanted to share a few more thoughts:

I don't have a child that wants to be a dancer, but my 12 yod wanted to be a figure skater and only a figure skater until the combo of mono and Hoshimoto's wiped her completely out. Has your dd seen the movie Ice Princess? I ask b/c that movie is excellent for making the point that physics is very important in motion. It made my dd appreciate that science (and thus math) are essential for understanding why certain positions are vital. I did a search for the physics of dance and tons came up:http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=physics+of+dance&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35 I don't know if anything like that might inspire her or not. Also, a study on operating a business might also inspire her if she thinks she might want to open her own studio one day. (accounting, excel spreadsheets, understanding legal issues, professional written communication....all vital.)

Assure Austin that 19 is very common age. Lots of kids turn 19 not too long after graduation (lots of summer birthday and early fall birthdays fit this category). Though, if he si anything like my Aspie, there are some things that just don't matter once they have made up their mind. I know w/my ds this is an issue that I could not get him to listen to reason. Period. But, perhaps it will make you feel better. FWIW, I have a gifted student that will turn 19 in the end of Sept right after she graduates from high school. So it really isn't that unusual.

What are Austin's strengths? What are his weaknesses? What do you see him as being able to do in the future? What are your objectives for his high school yrs? What are his long term goals? What does he see himself doing? (at 14, they may completely unrealistic but may reveal a lot about his personality.)

One of the things we have tried to demonstrate to our ds repeatedly over the yrs that is vitally important is his mental health. When he sits inside playing his xbox all day, he gets very depressed. He is happiest when he is physically active. He didn't believe us for the longest time, but we recorded his attitudes. The first thing it did was make him start walking everyday. He recognized that he was much calmer and happier when he walked. He also did a lot of yard work for us this spring. He was so much happier on the days when he was physically laboring that it made an impact on him. It made him really think about what he wants to consider doing for work. He originally thought he wanted to major in IT but then he realized that sitting with in front of a computer screen would be a bad fit for his mental health. His current idea is to major in landscape maintenance and try to work for a large company or golf course. (The Aspie program that he is now doing has told him that they will let him intern for them with their maintenance crew and then they will work with him to intern w/a private landscaper. He is thrilled and so are we. It will help him figure out if this is something he really wants to do and will give him practical work experience.)

:grouphug: I can't imagine coping with all the issues that you do. You must be exhausted.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart