Menu

for those not good at math...what Geometry would you suggest.

We have just found out today that our two boys are going to be able to take 4 classes at a local private Christian school. This is a great opportunity as it is their first time "out there" and has a really good environment.

Unfortunately, we are going to have to rearrange our orginal homeschool plans in order to make this work this fall. We were orginally going to take Geometry with Ms. Jann from TX and now they are going to be taking classes at that time.

I would like to know if there is a Geometry out there for someone like me that is terrible with math. It needs to be easy to teach and user-friendly.

We are going to be under tremendous stress this fall as we are making a long-distance move after this semester and so we are going to be dealing with preparation for that as well as the kids transitioning to going to this school in the afternoons and having a committed schedule.

Please if you have any suggestions of a text that we can do on our own...it may be done in car and on the road at times as this school is 40 minutes away. I need a text that is easy to understand.

thanks

Ds did Chalkdust Traditional, I think the New would be better. Dd didn't do well with Chalkdust, it was too hard. She LOVED BJU Geometry. You could get the dvds for portability. There is a 45 minute class every day, and the teacher is excellent. I would rate it at "medium" in difficulty. Everything is taught, gone over, and reviewed. Homework assignments are given (which problems to do, a great help) and it is gone over on the dvd. There is test review, and dvds have their own tests. You get a dvd with them to print on your computer. We jumped in at Chapter 4 because we had started with Chalkdust, there are a few lessons in the beginning of the book that looked strange to me, but you are the teacher and you can skip what you want to!

Math-U-See's Geometry is very easy and self-teaching: a workbook and DVD program. There is a 5-10 minute video of instruction for each week's unit, and then 4-5 workbook pages for each unit, each with about 20 problems on them. The MUS Geometry is predominantly on the 3-D aspects of geometry (lines and angles, volume and area of solids, etc.) and "lite" on proofs (in the last quarter of the program only). The proofs are quite easy -- mostly already written out, with the student just filling in corresponding blanks. Our non-mathy DS was able to knock out this 1-year course in 1 semester without breaking a sweat, and with virtually no input from me needed.

Edited by Lori D.

When my son was ready for upper level math, I knew I didn't remember enough to teach it to him. We started out with me relearning it all so that I could then teach it to him. That was very time intensive and did not work for us. If he were an only child, we may have continued with that approach. We were using Math-U-See and he just wasn't getting it. We did 1/2 the book, he hit a brick wall. We stopped and completed Painless Algebra successfully, started the Math-U-See algebra text over again, did great until the same problem area as before and couldn't seem to get any further. After much hesitation we took the advice of our evaluator and tried Saxon Algebra with Saxon Teacher CD ROMS. Wow! What a difference! This is the best program we have come across and is very thorough. My son now completely does math on his own and I am thrilled! Most importantly he's regained his confidence in this area which is priceless! He has always been good at Math until Algebra came along. The CD ROMS are great. He watches the tutorial, completes the lesson, checks his work (under my supervision) and then utilizes the most wonderful part of the Saxon Teacher-the instructor works out every single problem as she explains how and why it needs to be worked out that way. My son simply clicks on the problem he got incorrect, watches the instructor work it out and then tries it again on his own. I cannot say enough good things about this program! It's about $100 to buy the whole set which is much cheaper than so many of the other good math courses out there. While we haven't used the Geometry specifically, we are loving the way this curriculum works. Geometry is worked into the Saxon texts if you stick with them through upper level math so there is no need to do a separate geometry text for us.