Menu

If you have older kids, I'd love your wisdom

Did you start late or completely re-start your homeschool journey when your kiddos were older? What did you do, how did it work? Specific methods, tools, etc.... I need a Vulcan mind meld from someone wiser. :D

Background from my intro: My name is Anne! My children are dd13, dd12 and ds 8

We have homeschooled from the beginning, sometimes more ‘school’ than others. I have been the primary breadwinner, but stayed home for 2 ½ years after my son was born. I went back to work full time in June of 2005, so DH is now chief child wrangler.

We have floundered terribly since I went back to work. We did find math that was a perfect fit, Teaching Textbooks. Still fumbling some, but am planning to get Michael Clay Thompson’s LA and need to figure out history (looking at Tapestry of Grace and Beautiful Feet.)

Thankfully, my kiddos are amazing readers & probably know more than if we had tried to teach them.

Finances have tightened. I know we will continue with TT, but I am thinking now that I will purchace MCT and just cobble together history & the rest. (we have a science.) MCT seems quite robust and I believe it would appeal to everyone. Does MCT seem like a good way to get us restarted?

I'm trying not to panic, but have never felt as unsure as now. I appreciate your patience with what is probably a confusing post.

Anne

(whose homeschool philosophy is basically 'throw some good books at them' with a little Classical & Charlotte Mason seasoning, but looking to formalize some things :D)

Don't think I qualify as wiser, but I can share my experiences.

Now that my kids are solidly in the logic stage I have had to revamp hs. I have a more rigorous schedule and have had to back off on all other commitments. I am very careful not to schedule anything - even drs. appts during our school hours. I used to always think that we could be flexible and we'd just finish up when we got back from whatever - we rarely did.

I also make a very set schedule with "deliverables" (papers due, tests, etc.) marked out on the calendar to keep me accountable. I keep an inbox for them to put their completed work and force myself to check it each night. When I let that slide, the quality of their work slides.

I love MCT. We use other LA resources and just use certain MCT books so I can't say if it is a complete LA choice.

TOG is a great program if you are on a tight budget, imo. You can download one unit to use with all kids and see if it works for you. We enjoy lots of their book suggestions. We check out a bunch of books from the library so it keeps our costs down. Since it includes lots of other subjects, it could be a great choice for you (giving you both history and the rest.)

I don't feel like I answered your questions well at all. Hope this was a decent start. Happy to answer more and hopefully some wise person will see this and post! :)

I started homeschooling DS15 when he was in the middle of 5th grade. After a year of that, we brought DD10 (then a 2nd grader) into the homeschool loop. Now DS15 is back in public school, but DD17 is home this year.

With the older kiddos, I found that indepenent materials work best for us - things that are written to the student and don't need lots of teaching time from me. I'm always there to help out, but for my kids it worked best for them to just pick up their books and go. When DD10 was littler, I did more hands-on teaching with her, but last year she wanted to do it at her own pace, so I cut her loose like the older kiddos and she did great.

The one thing I have done is to organize everything on Sunday afternoons for the week - lay out assignments, gather materials, sort through books. That way we can "grab and go" during the week. That type of organization isn't natural for me - I really had to work at it to pull it together. I work part time from home, so it has really worked well for the kids to know what they need to do each day.

Things have changed over the years because the needs of the children changed over the years. The older they get the more structure is needed around here. YMMV.

You ask if MCT is a good place to start. That all depends...will it get done? If yes, start there. If no, find something that will get done consistently and do it. It may be textbooks, or Sonlight, or Switched-on-Schoolhouse, or WTM. I believe that if you are in a fragile stage of life you just need to find something that will get done consistently and do it. You can do your ideal school year when things are more ideal.

My thanks to all!

And, Josie, "You can do your ideal school year when things are more ideal." really hit the nail on the head for me.

I've been back at work full time for 6 years now, you'd think I would have let go of how things were.

It is funny that a couple of you mentioned more scheduled hs days. My dd2 (12) is desperate for that. She thrives on completing tasks.

So, let go of the past, configure the now with what I have & can afford and just move forward! Sounds simple.....:001_unsure:

I will visit the high school board for ideas and will START moving forward.

Anne