Menu

Swollen lymph nodes

I started having swollen nodes in my groin area in March. After about a week or so I saw my doctor, who wasn't concerned and sent me home. I waited two more weeks and saw her again. She wasn't concerned again. The only test she did was a uterine U/S for unrelated issues I was having. The U/S results were normal.

After waiting two more weeks I saw another doctor, at a different clinic, to get a second opinion. He did blood work which came up fine except for elevated bilirubin.( he had me retested a month later and it was fine). He did no other testing.

So it’s been about four months since things started and I have no answer to why they are swollen. I don’t have any of the symptoms listed for lymphoma, but I am still concerned.

Any idea what would cause this? Anyone ever deal with something similar? Would you go back to the doctor? If so, would you see the first doctor, second opinion doctor or someone else entirely?

Thanks.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I discovered two swollen lymph nodes in my neck, just north of my clavicle, about a year ago. It scared me, too. My doctor didn't think they felt abnormally large but ordered a CBC and ultrasound of the nodes just in case. Bloodwork and ultrasound results were normal. I followed up again at 3 and 6 months with the same tests and the results were normal. My nodes were small though, the size of a pencil eraser or slightly smaller.

Nodes are easier to palpitate in some areas, too. I think the ones in the groin are pretty easy to palpitate. Is that perhaps why you noticed them?

My husband has been sick since January, swollen lymph nodes (the biggest are around his collar bone), C-reactive protein at 74+, cold hands and feet, joint aches, dry skin, tired all the time, weird metallic taste in his mouth, some organ pain that comes and goes. He's been to his primary, infectious disease where he tested positive for acute mono but a dna test showed no mono, had multiple lyme tests which are negative, ENT because infectious disease doc thought he should get his lymph nodes biopsied, but ENT said no. In a few weeks he's going to a rheumatologist. His neurologist thinks he should see a psychiatrist :glare:

It's frustrating. I guess I'm not being much help for you Jean :tongue_smilie: Do you have any other symptoms?

I discovered two swollen lymph nodes in my neck, just north of my clavicle, about a year ago. It scared me, too. My doctor didn't think they felt abnormally large but ordered a CBC and ultrasound of the nodes just in case. Bloodwork and ultrasound results were normal. I followed up again at 3 and 6 months with the same tests and the results were normal. My nodes were small though, the size of a pencil eraser or slightly smaller.

Nodes are easier to palpitate in some areas, too. I think the ones in the groin are pretty easy to palpitate. Is that perhaps why you noticed them?

That would make sense that the area makes them seem more palpable. I don't know. I just remember feeling something different one day.

Edited by Quiver0f10

My husband has been sick since January, swollen lymph nodes (the biggest are around his collar bone), C-reactive protein at 74+, cold hands and feet, joint aches, dry skin, tired all the time, weird metallic taste in his mouth, some organ pain that comes and goes. He's been to his primary, infectious disease where he tested positive for acute mono but a dna test showed no mono, had multiple lyme tests which are negative, ENT because infectious disease doc thought he should get his lymph nodes biopsied, but ENT said no. In a few weeks he's going to a rheumatologist. His neurologist thinks he should see a psychiatrist :glare:

It's frustrating. I guess I'm not being much help for you Jean :tongue_smilie: Do you have any other symptoms?

I am sorry he has been sick. How frustrating!

I don't think I have other symptoms. I feel pretty good otherwise.

When you say "swollen" how swollen do you mean? Are they the size of a pea or the size of a ping pong ball? Some lymph nodes are just more easily palpated than others, and once you find one it is hard to leave it alone which may make it more swollen, kwim? My 4yo has one in his neck that is sometimes visible but this always occurs after a sickness. Lymph nodes can stay swollen months after an illness and can swell up for something as simple as a scratch. Often a scratch on the arm will cause swollen lymph nodes under the arms. Are they sore at all? Can you move them around?

I've had a dime-sized one in that area for years. When I first noticed it my obgyn sent me to a surgeon who specialized in removing cancerous nodes. She told me that it was harmless. She said it was possible to remove it, but the surgery would be really tricky because of all the nerves and whatnot in that area. I've had it for about 10 years. I just keep tabs on it to make sure it isn't getting bigger.