Menu

It's all in how we're raised!

This is not a vent, complaint, or anything else negative... just an interesting observation.

Since I don't care for raw tomatoes, hubby and the boys (who all love them) are responsible for picking them from the garden, eating what they want, then I tend to stew the rest and use them in recipes. No big deal, right?

Mind you, we've been married for 23 years and have had our garden for somewhere around 15 years...

Today I happened to be outside and saw a bucket of tomatoes heading to our chickens. I looked inside and pulled one with a teeny spot out. "Why are you throwing this to the chickens?" I asked. "Because it has a spot," he replied. I then went on to explain to him that "perfect" tomatoes get eaten and "small spot" tomatoes can easily be stewed (with the spot part cut out).

It turns out, his mom refused to do anything with a less-than-perfect tomato and would complain if she saw any brought in from their garden. My mom taught me to can less-than-perfect tomatoes.

After 23 years, we both still naturally revert back to the way we were raised. And, of course, I "win" since I'm the mom now (and he certainly doesn't mind - there's no fight over the issue at all). It makes me wonder what sorts of things my boys will naturally revert to 23 years after they are married. Train up a child in the way they should go... ;)

And now I muse about how many tomatoes the chickens have needlessly enjoyed over the years. :lol:

I also wonder why cleaning their room doesn't work the same way - or maybe that needs to wait a few years, then it will kick in...

Until a few years ago I thought that EVERYBODY knew that it was an etiquette rule that people are not allowed to whistle in an enclosed space (building, vehicle, etc.).....because my mom hated it.

I still cringe and think "somebody's gonna get hit with a shoe!" if I hear them whistle in a car/building. :001_huh:

So, yeah, that's my default.

Until a few years ago I thought that EVERYBODY knew that it was an etiquette rule that people are not allowed to whistle in an enclosed space (building, vehicle, etc.).....because my mom hated it.

I still cringe and think "somebody's gonna get hit with a shoe!" if I hear them whistle in a car/building. :001_huh:

My default on whistling is that one ought to only whistle when they are alone. I guess we're just not whistlers in our family. Maybe that's genetic?

OMG! No wonder people look at me funny when I whistle! I grew up with 'whistlers' and couldn't wait until I learned. I couldn't understand why people are often surprised to hear whistling...for me it's totally a normal thing to do, especially when you're happy! I don't usually whistle with others in the room with me but I will be more considerate from now on.

:iagree:I agree with your mother. Whistling like that is rude. Whistling while taking a nature hike is not. Whistling in the garden is not. Whistling in the house is. Go figure. :D

We have a no-whistling, no-humming house, probably because my father was an incessant whistler/hummer. He drove me up a wall with his whistling, humming, coin-jingling, and key-clinking. He also hissed a tune through his teeth. Ugh. :glare: Now that I'm the parent, I don't have to put up with senseless, nerve-grating noises made for no constructive purpose. But I would never, ever throw a shoe at anybody for whistling. :001_huh:

It's nice to hear there are still "surprises" in marriage after 23 years ;)!

My DH had the worst fight about peelers one time....there are vertical and horizontal peelers, and those plain metal ones and the fancy black ones...and we finally realized that our moms had used completely different peelers and we had assumed that was the "right" kind to use!

Now that we have worked that out, we can conquer anything! :lol:

Well, my husband had to be taught how to correctly put the toilet paper on the roll because he was raised all wrong in that regard :D and don't get me started on the toothpaste tube thing, either! Suffice it to say that from our earliest years we've had separate toothpaste tubes and drawers. I couldn't bear to even look at his mess of a tube, all squeezed from the middle! I shudder to even type of it.

My DH had the worst fight about peelers one time....there are vertical and horizontal peelers, and those plain metal ones and the fancy black ones...and we finally realized that our moms had used completely different peelers and we had assumed that was the "right" kind to use!

That's the truth! But I'll admit, peelers is a "new" one for me. Hubby's mom used a knife. Hubby was thrilled when I showed him what a peeler could do, but that was many, many moons ago.

It turns out, his mom refused to do anything with a less-than-perfect tomato and would complain if she saw any brought in from their garden. My mom taught me to can less-than-perfect tomatoes.

I cannot believe a gardener would do that! How bizarre! I can understand someone who doesn't garden and is used to grocery store tomatoes doing it, but not a gardener. I do believe you, of course, I am just astonished :001_smile:

It really surprised me too and it's why I naturally assumed he was bringing me anything edible without realizing his definition of edible was different than mine for so many years. When I asked him about it he said it was probably due to the fact that they raised tomatoes for sale to stores. They had a huge field of tomatoes. His mom felt "slighted" if she had to use anything less than what they would sell at the farmer's markets or to the stores. My mom would have been fine with it. They're just totally different personalities (and still are). Fortunately, hubby's totally content adjusting to my upbringing with this subject.

My default on whistling is that one ought to only whistle when they are alone. I guess we're just not whistlers in our family. Maybe that's genetic?

I whistle CONSTANTLY. :D Classical, if that matters any, but constantly. and my bird loves me for it.

I don't think anyone in my family whistles.

And then there's peeler technique. My husband is of the peel slowly, toward you, in one long strip if possible, persuasion. I'm more of a quick-quick-quick, away from you, many little scraps, school. We've agreed to think the other is dead wrong. :)

And then there's peeler technique. My husband is of the peel slowly, toward you, in one long strip if possible, persuasion. I'm more of a quick-quick-quick, away from you, many little scraps, school. We've agreed to think the other is dead wrong. :)

Well, I just don't look at hubby when he peels anything. It's better than way. And I remind myself that I appreciate having something peeled for me. I sort it into my blame the "y" chromosome category.

Reminds me of the canned vs. frozen veggies battle that goes on in our house. He grew up on canned, I grew up on frozen. I cook=frozen. I buy a few cans when they are on sale for special occasions. Ha!

We're this way too in how we were brought up (him --> canned, me --> frozen). Fortunately, he soon discovered he likes the taste of frozen better, so we avoided battles after the first week or month or whatever it was.

Of course, maybe he just decided he liked whatever it was that I was cooking (as opposed to him fixing meals)! ;)

He was also brought up on well done steaks and has switched over to medium rare - much to the dismay of his family on that one.

I found out I like lima beans. My mom still hates them.

We still "fight" (at this point it's more a joke than anything, but we each still believe the other is wrong!) when I make pot roast. I make mashed potatoes, and he sits there and stares at them until I ask what's wrong. Every time, he asks, "Where's the rice?" :lol:

Reminds me of the canned vs. frozen veggies battle that goes on in our house. He grew up on canned, I grew up on frozen. I cook=frozen. I buy a few cans when they are on sale for special occasions. Ha!

The first time dh made me a meal with corn, I couldn't get over how good it was. I kept asking what it was and where he got it. It was frozen! I grew up on canned, and I had no idea frozen corn was so incredibly good. Canned corn tastes like the can. He was from a frozen veggie family. :lol:

That's the rule I taught my dc, too. In fact, we don't make any unnecessary noise in a car (just talking,) as it's a small enclosed space. Any time someone rides anywhere with us, they always comment on how peaceful it is. :D My dc look like this - :blink: - when they ride with a loud-car family. :lol:

I never knew there were small dish drains that fit in the sink until I met xdh. He never knew there were big ones that sat on the counter.... I've now had a small one in my sink for about 15 years, lol.

Also, there were always a few meals that didn't get eaten as heartily over the years. I never gave it much thought until xdh finally confessed (after we'd been married over 10 yrs) that he didn't like cream of chicken soup. So every.single.meal that used that as a base or what-not, he didn't care for at all. He still ate it, but the leftovers sat untouched.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: When dh and I first got married, for a long story's reason, we lived with his parents for almost 3 years. They were canned peas people :ack2: I was frozen peas. Because we shared shopping and cooking, it took them over a year before they would even try frozen veggies. Now they eat only frozen :D

A year back I was talking to the in-laws about artichokes because they were on sale. My dh had never had them. My fil mentioned that he really liked them (which is :svengo: because he is SUPER picky) and my mil said "I didn't know that!" In 30 years of marriage she had never made them because she didn't think he'd like them.

I'm still teased by his family every time we eat steak there. I say they like their meat burnt, they say I like it still moo-ing :D

We still "fight" (at this point it's more a joke than anything, but we each still believe the other is wrong!) when I make pot roast. I make mashed potatoes, and he sits there and stares at them until I ask what's wrong. Every time, he asks, "Where's the rice?" :lol:

Rice!!?!??!

We usually put the potatoes in with the roast but sometimes I make mashed instead. I don't think rice would ever even occur to me. Why would someone make rice when you can make gravy with the juices??

For years. dh bragged on his family's Thanksgiving dinners. We've moved away, so I slaved over the holiday, making the best dinner I could make. Friends complimented my menu, but every year, I could tell he was missing his grandmother's cooking.

So, last year we went to the family's Thanksgiving. Bless their hearts, it was one of the worst Thanksgivings I've ever eaten. There was hard-boiled egg in the gravy. Yes, little bits of egg white and yolk swimming in brown sauce. The cornbread stuffing was wet like a sponge sitting in day-old dish water. I could go on, but I was shocked at how blech! the meal was.

When we returned home, I tentatively asked about the meal. Dh was quiet for a bit, then said, "Your food was better, but I'll deny it to my family until my last breath."

I think the memories were enhancing the flavor of Thanksgivings' past.

My DH always thought he hated pumpkin pie until I served it warm from the oven with whipped cream. Even now at Thanksgiving, I have to make his parents' pie the day ahead so it can be put in the fridge and eaten cold. :001_huh:

Now he likes pie the correct way, warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

Very bizarre.

Rice!!?!??!

We usually put the potatoes in with the roast but sometimes I make mashed instead. I don't think rice would ever even occur to me. Why would someone make rice when you can make gravy with the juices??

Yum. To pour the gravy on the rice! I'm with pp's husband - rice all the way. But that is a bone of contention in my house. I grew up with rice cooked in broth and butter. Dh just wants plain white rice. No flavoring. Uck. Like wallpaper paste. I now make two pots.

Dh also doesn't think that every meal should have two veggies. Dinner in his house was a huge slab o meat, starch and a veg. I grew up with a small bit o' meat, starch and two veggies. 'Course, I'm from the South, so the veggies almost always were cooked in butter and/or with bacon. But that's still healthy, right?

MMm.... In our family we did both! "Roast, Rice & Potatoes" I still ask for that whenever my mom is cooking :)

lots of coaches use really loud obnoxious whistling to communicate with their swimmers in the water. piercing!!! and of course they do it at practice as well. as one who never learned how to whistle properly, i'm both jealous and in pain. :glare:

OMG. I grew up in a family who believed in not whistling. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bugs my mother, but DS' swim coach is something else entirely. He's got it down to a fine art.

...from our earliest years we've had separate toothpaste tubes and drawers. I couldn't bear to even look at his mess of a tube, all squeezed from the middle! I shudder to even type of it.

This is why DH and I have separate cabinets for our toothpaste. I can't stand to watch him brush his teeth, either... let's just say his technique reminds me of cartoons featuring rabid dogs. It's GROSS.

Towel folding! His mother taught him incorrect technique.:lol:

YES! I fold mine so that I can just yank them out of the cabinet and hang them up the way they are... if he folds them, I have to entirely refold them to hang them up.

DH and his entire family still don't understand peanut butter, either... then again, I don't understand Vegemite, so all's fair. I just know which goes better on toast for breakfast! :lol:

When you home can tomatoes, they often recommend not to use tomatoes with bad spots because it could ruin the whole batch. So maybe she took that advice and applied it more broadly.

For my DH and myself it is how to fold socks together. We just do it totally differently. I didn't even think there was more than one way to do it. Of course I'm teaching my DD *my way*.

OMG! No wonder people look at me funny when I whistle! I grew up with 'whistlers' and couldn't wait until I learned. I couldn't understand why people are often surprised to hear whistling...for me it's totally a normal thing to do, especially when you're happy! I don't usually whistle with others in the room with me but I will be more considerate from now on.

My Dad was a whistler, I miss that.

My DH always thought he hated pumpkin pie until I served it warm from the oven with whipped cream. Even now at Thanksgiving, I have to make his parents' pie the day ahead so it can be put in the fridge and eaten cold. :001_huh:

Very bizarre.

Well, colour me intrigued. I have never heard of eating pumpkin pie warm. Wouldn't it melt the whipped creme and leave you with a pile of goo?

I think I'm going to bake a pumpkin pie tomorrow just so I can try out your "theory". (Yes, I'm calling it a theory for now, until I can prove it. :lol:)

I worked with a very accomplished whistler - it was enjoyable working with and listening to him! I really enjoyed it, and am a half-a$$ed whistler myself.

No more rude than humming! (I guess that could start another discussion, though, couldn't it?)

Jeepers...never heard the whistling rules either. I whistle all.the.time. I never think to do it...it just comes out...like exhaling. My husband thinks it's cute. Why is it rude?

Why is it rude?

'Cause mama said so. :lol:

This thread has been a very interesting read! We have potatoes cooked with our pot roast (and carrots, celery, & mushrooms). Then gravy is made and served over the whole thing.

We also stuff our whole roasted birds (turkey/chicken) with bread stuffing. Hubby's family never did that, but now it's his favorite part of that particular dinner. ;)

One of my first memories in marriage is being at work and asking DH to bring me something that required cheese. He brought it without cheese because he couldn't find the cheese. The cheese was in the fridge in the "cheese drawer." in fact, it said cheese right on the drawer! His mother never used the drawer for cheese.

I have to fold clothes his way. It was easier to do it his way because I honestly didn't care.

Rice!!?!??!

Yes, the others are right. Apparently some people eat the rice just like we eat the mashed potatoes, gravy on top and all! If you can call it gravy ... it seems my MIL thickens the juices a tiny, tiny bit and calls that good enough.

See, my mama's from Kansas, and her mama was from Pennsylvania. Potatoes, please. My MIL is from Louisiana. Rice with everything. I can do Louisiana with the best of them. I grew up here and my daddy's family cooks too. Gumbo, red beans and rice, crispy fried chicken, etc. Sometimes food-wise I side with the north, and sometimes with the south. Roast is one time I definitely side with the north. I am not serving rice with pot roast! He has no problem with mashed potatoes served alongside fried chicken, though. Another is oatmeal vs grits, but that's a different argument. :tongue_smilie: I will say that I feel a tiny thrill every time my girls make faces at grits. I'm winning!

Thick vs thin gravies and sauces seem to be a point of contention, too. DH used to insist he hated Italian food. I figured out why after watching my SIL make spaghetti. She browned the fattiest ground beef she could find, and then without draining it, added a jar of spaghetti sauce. Then she filled the jar with water and added that too. I never knew you could make spaghetti that was both greasy and watery. :001_huh: But that's how they like it. My neighbor drains the fat but does add the water, so it's not just them either. You eat the noodles and there's a plateful of watery sauce left ... it doesn't stick at all. I don't get the appeal.

Edited by SunD

I have to fold clothes his way. It was easier to do it his way because I honestly didn't care.

7 years of marriage and dh folds his own clothes and I fold mine. (Well, these days, he folds most!) :lol: I don't care how they are folded, but he certainly does! We decided early on I would just leave his for him to fold! ;)

7 years of marriage and dh folds his own clothes and I fold mine. (Well, these days, he folds most!) :lol: I don't care how they are folded, but he certainly does! We decided early on I would just leave his for him to fold! ;)

For the love of Mike, my DH is the same way about clothes and the way they are folded, particularly shirts. We actually had a fight about it and I told him he could either fold his own clothes or learn to live with the way I fold them. He learned to live with the way I fold them. :lol:

Thanksgiving is interesting too. My family are NOT pumpkin pie people. We have 1 pumpkin pie at my grandma's house and thats the end of it. Onlu one person eats at. DH, on the other hand, his family has pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheescake, pumpkin rolls etc. No apple pie. So sad! Since we will now be hosting Thanksgiving for DH's family (his mother passed away in september of last year), I need to find some pumpkin recipes ASAP! :001_huh:

And the whistling at swim meets - the BANE of my existence when I was a swimmer. It is pretty much the only thing I am dreading when it comes to my kids swimming - if they choose to swim.

(I never knew anyone thought it rude until I read this thread!)

I heard a speaker one time who said she never knew that everyone didn't leave out a fifth of vodka out for Santa Claus until she grew up and was out in the adult world for a bit. When she was raised she was told it was a "hush, hush" tradition everyone had.

It really is amazing how much our "reality" is dependent on how we are raised.

Dh and I are lucky on the towel/clothes folding and toothpaste tube etiquette since we both went through Navy Boot Camp before we were married and we both managed to retain our boot camp/OCD issues with how things should be folded, etc.

My sister-in-law refuses to touch my bil's laundry (she was never military and he was - and he still irons his underwear and undershirts/puts military creases in his button-down shirts, etc. :glare: we aren't that bad. lol...).

I am lucky that my Dh is willing to try any and all Southern food, and that he likes most of it. But I still can't stand that his family refuses to call a vacuum a vacuum - - I'm sorry, but it is NOT a "sweeper!" I have almost gotten this out of Dh's vocabulary:D

I'm so totally in the 'do NOT whistle in the house!' camp.

And there is a right way to fold towels. aka NOT the way Wolf does it.

Wolf isn't picky about food, he's usually grateful to just be fed. Of course, I don't attempt to feed him dandelions or bull rushes or thistles like his mother did, so he's got a low standard for 'good food'. :lol:

Dh is Chinese-American. Once when we were engaged he was visiting me and noticed a box of Uncle Ben's rice in the cabinet. He pulled it out and said "You are going to have to stop this if we're going to get married." I laughed. He didn't. :) Not joking. He takes his rice seriously. I had never used a rice cooker before we were married but now I'm converted to the "it's the only way to cook it right" camp.

I am allowed to buy Uncle Ben's wild rice occasionally. :)

Jeepers...never heard the whistling rules either. I whistle all.the.time. I never think to do it...it just comes out...like exhaling. My husband thinks it's cute. Why is it rude?

I can't imagine why whistling is considered rude unless you are just whistling loudly like you are whistling for a dog and not whistling a happy tune. I grew up around whistlers. My great aunt did it while she was cooking and I have fond memories of that. I will continue my whistling.

Dh is Chinese-American. Once when we were engaged he was visiting me and noticed a box of Uncle Ben's rice in the cabinet. He pulled it out and said "You are going to have to stop this if we're going to get married." I laughed. He didn't. :) Not joking. He takes his rice seriously. I had never used a rice cooker before we were married but now I'm converted to the "it's the only way to cook it right" camp.

I am allowed to buy Uncle Ben's wild rice occasionally. :)

:lol: That reminds me of one of the first meals I made for dh when we were just dating. I decided to go for easy...pasta and sauce. Um, dh is Chicago Italian. It was all he good to do to pretend to enjoy my straight from the jar sauce. He kept saying how good his mom's homemade stuff was. How she made it from scratch.

When we got engaged, I asked her to teach me how to make sauce. She gave me a shopping list: 2 large cans of tomato sauce, a can of tomato paste, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, anything else to add: italian seasoning, mushrooms, olives, sausage. Here I was thinking, buy fresh tomatoes and start there.

Now I do make it from scratch every summer, with fresh tomatoes. I end up canning about 40 jars of it. Dh has said that it is definitely better gravy than what his mom makes, but that he would never tell her.

I am lucky that my Dh is willing to try any and all Southern food, and that he likes most of it. But I still can't stand that his family refuses to call a vacuum a vacuum - - I'm sorry, but it is NOT a "sweeper!" I have almost gotten this out of Dh's vocabulary:D

My grandma (from Ohio, but now living in Georgia) calls vacuums "sweepers". I had almost forgotten that.

When dh and I were first married I mentioned making fruit salad and he made an awful face and said he hated fruit salad. So I didn't make it. The next summer, I decided "What is wrong with fruit salad? I love it and am making it for myself and he can just not eat it." Then dh enthusiastically ate it and said how good it was.

Turns out, fruit salad to me was what my family had always called a big bowl of chopped up fruit with nothing else in it, just strawberries, cantaloupe, apples, raspberries, kiwi, or whatever we had around. Fruit salad to dh was something he only saw at family gatherings- fruit mixed w mayo and nuts, waldorf fruit salad I guess.

Warm? I don't think I've ever eaten mine warm..... Room temperature yes and then cold the next day.

I grew up in a canned veggie house, DH was frozen/fresh. We only use frozen/fresh now because they just tase better. My DD will not eat peas because a few years ago while visiting my sister she was made to eat canned peas. Yep they all still get veggies from the can no matter how often I tell them frozen is better.

Also I no longer get to "finish" the mashed potatos because they're too lumpy according to DH. He has learned to deal with the fact that I leave at least 1/2 of the skins on... ahhh, compromise.

We are definitely a product of our upbringing which always comes to the surface once you marry. I often wonder what things my kids will bring into their marriage. I guess only my future son-n-laws will be able to tell me.

Here are our defaults

me, potatoes; him, rice

me, fresh brewed sweet tea; him instant tea :glare:

me, whole grains; him, white flour